Off-Season Suggestion Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:37 AM)
Kalapse why would that team be a certain disaster? If all went well, my rotation would be good. Javy might contribute in middle relief. The lineup would be faster.

We've still got Quentin, Dye, Lexi, AJ and Swish, who so many love, on the team.

Why would my team suck balls? Please explain.

Because a lineup has 9 guys in it, not 5 or 6. You also need a good defensive squad, and Owens is a terrible defensive player, and Fields isn't that good either.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
Would the Mets have any interest in Dye? Dye for Daniel Murphy is a move I would like to see.

Murphy came into the Mets org. as a 3B. Obviously he was blocked by Wright, so they switched him over to 2B and LF while in the minors. He got the call to the big show this past August, where he started every subsequent MLB game in LF.

Murphy is going to be their new 2B-man next season IIRC.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:54 AM)
Because a lineup has 9 guys in it, not 5 or 6. You also need a good defensive squad, and Owens is a terrible defensive player, and Fields isn't that good either.

We'd have an exorbitant amount of strikeouts from Thome, Swisher and Fields. Dye and Konerko wouldn't be TOO far behind.

Getz, I think, would be, at best, so-so his rookie year.

The bottom of the line-up would be like the 2001/2002 version, with Mark Johnson/Royce Clayton or vice-versa. That was quite painful to watch.

Edited by caulfield12

''It was a lot of work, but you could see it gradually taking hold, especially when we had so many young players and then we started making deals,'' manager Joe Torre said of the Dodgers' transformation that took an entire season. ''Casey Blake really sort of changed our personality a little bit. And then of course Manny did more of that, and [pitcher Greg] Maddux, even though he didn't pitch a great deal for us, made a big difference.

''And all of a sudden this ballclub sort of blended together.''

Good argument for Casey Blake at 3B for us...pretty insightful reference from one of the best managers in the game.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
I still haven't heard a logical reason as to why the Angels would trade Figgins other than "oh they need a first baseman, they'll assuredly want Paul Konerko because they had interest in him one time in 2005-06 when they had a different GM"

The rumor out here is that Figgins is not a well-liked guy in the clubhouse and the Angels want to get rid of him. This could all be nonsense, but it has been reported out here more than once. Either way I would be shocked if the Angels don't make some big changes this offseason. That's a team that has crapped the bed several years in a row in the playoffs, and were a quick out this year even after finally adding a big bat that they have needed for years.

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:17 AM)
Here's a good one. Would yu guys be willing to risk one mere season to finally find out if we have any players in our organization?

We go with Getz at second, Lexi at ss and Fields at third and Swish at first.

We go with Carlos in left, Owens/Wise in cf and Dye in right.

We go with AJP as catcher and Thome as DH.

We only trade Paulie to whomever he wants to be traded to. If we can't trade him, then we trade Jimmy to a team he'll go to. Just one trade with one of the big boppers involved if they agree.

The trade is for a backup catcher prospect who actually can spell AJP, get some hits and throw people out. We need to rest AJP more.

We keep Mark, Floyd, Danks and Clayton as our starters with Poreda No. 5. We move Javy to bullpen, huge salary be damned in this one season experiment.

We keep the same bullpen corps.

Our speed allegedly would be better if the guys could get on base.

We see where it takes us.

Would you do it?

Guys ... isn't there a chance this team could win? We'd be faster in theory.

If you dismiss my idea, at least tell me how you think the team I put on the field would

fare. Remember our s***ty division.

In that scenario you are starting basically 3 minor league/fringe big league guys that cant really hit, although Getz may have a decent avg. You also have a rotation of 4 lefties and 1 righty, 2 of those which have a limited arsenal of pitches and are very similar. Your IF defense is also a TON worse.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
Hopefully the Sox start drafting players with 5-tool potential as well, and that's why I'm a little optimistic about this Beckham dude, cause he seems like he can become the 5-tool type.

The problem with Five Tool players is that it's very hard to under-scout one. Meaning once someone is identified as a five-tool player they are pursued so aggressively that they rarely fall from the top five spots in the draft. Case in point, Josh Hamilton (perhaps the most highly touted five-too prospect of all time), The Upton Brothers, and even, Alex Gordon qualified for this mold. In short, it's very hard to stumble upon a five-tool player unless you are either lucky or so bad the previous year that your draft position allows you access. Now, Williams had an excellent idea last year in seek prospects from areas that are (for the most part) under-scouted. The success of The Cuban Missile clearly represents this fact. We have some well-rounded players in the minors with five-tool potential (hitting, hitting with power, speed, arm, and fielding) in Danks and Shelby, and we'll see how they pan out. Just remember the last time we actively drafted for five-tools we got Brian Anderson. Make of that what you will.

We're leaving out Chris Young, who has all five tools but a good throwing arm...

The irony is that Kenny Williams and Daryl Boston were both expected to be "five tool" players...same with Mike Cameron and Jimmy Hurst. It's not like we've never developed any athletic outfielders in our minors, it's just that they haven't always met expectations in the majors.

Ray Durham (not quite a power hitter, but with a lot of extra-base pop) also comes to mind, although he was lacking defensively.

Beckham doesn't run all that well, decent speed. Borchard and Sweeney had some of the elements, but neither runs at the highest scale of the scouts' rating system.

We've also tried to bring in guys from outside our system, like D'Angelo Jimenez and Julio Ramirez (Marlins). Willie Harris was hyped as a less powerful version of Durham. McKay Christensen, when he was drafted high in the first round, was thought to have all the tools as well.

Of course, Sammy Sosa also comes to mind, although he was "incubated" by the Rangers along with Juan-Gone.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
''It was a lot of work, but you could see it gradually taking hold, especially when we had so many young players and then we started making deals,'' manager Joe Torre said of the Dodgers' transformation that took an entire season. ''Casey Blake really sort of changed our personality a little bit. And then of course Manny did more of that, and [pitcher Greg] Maddux, even though he didn't pitch a great deal for us, made a big difference.

''And all of a sudden this ballclub sort of blended together.''

Good argument for Casey Blake at 3B for us...pretty insightful reference from one of the best managers in the game.

On the other side of the coin, the Indians really started playing well when they got rid of him and CC. Although I do think he's a better option than 162 games of watching Josh Fields strike out. I'm hoping the Sox go after Blalock. I think he can be had relatively cheaply, will make about $6 million next year, and may be ready to start hitting again. Get a couple of guys who can run in CF and 2B, move Ramirez to SS add a reliever or 2. Get rid of Vazquez. Sign a reclimation project or 2 ie Freddy or Bartolo, and the Sox will rule the Central.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 05:38 AM)
Murphy is going to be their new 2B-man next season IIRC.

That's what I'm reading as well. However, the Mets have Luis Castillo signed through 2011. The remainder of that deal is roughly 3 years/18M. He has been very productive until last season. He may be a guy that would be cheap to acquire. Of course he will be 33.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
On the other side of the coin, the Indians really started playing well when they got rid of him and CC. Although I do think he's a better option than 162 games of watching Josh Fields strike out. I'm hoping the Sox go after Blalock. I think he can be had relatively cheaply, will make about $6 million next year, and may be ready to start hitting again. Get a couple of guys who can run in CF and 2B, move Ramirez to SS add a reliever or 2. Get rid of Vazquez. Sign a reclimation project or 2 ie Freddy or Bartolo, and the Sox will rule the Central.

I think there was just so much turmoil and media attention around Sabathia that it got the better of the Indians. Most importantly, the injuries to Hafner and Martinez. Not coincidentally, Francisco and Franklin Gutierrez started to come into their own, and Peralta and Cabrera and Garko all picked it up. I think Cabrera will end up at SS with Peralta moving to first or 3B and Martinez getting more PT at 1B with Shoppach taking more of the catching time to prevent further physical deterioration to Victor. That kind of leaves Garko, who had a VERY strong second half, as the odd man out. Sizemore was the only constant throughout the entire season, probably the best player in the AL now overall.

Not unlike the Royals taking out the Twins, the Indians knew they were out of the playoff hunt, knew Sabathia was gone and that they could just relax and work towards improving for 2009.

They still have huge problems after Lee and Carmona in their rotation, and their bullpen is bigger mess than Detroit's.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
That's what I'm reading as well. However, the Mets have Luis Castillo signed through 2011. The remainder of that deal is roughly 3 years/18M. He has been very productive until last season. He may be a guy that would be cheap to acquire. Of course he will be 33.

He also has a bum knee, and pleaded with Jerry Manuel to bench him at home, because he didn't like to be booed. Yep... he'd go pretty well with the fans famous for making sure Damaso Marte never pitched in the Cell again

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
He also has a bum knee, and pleaded with Jerry Manuel to bench him at home, because he didn't like to be booed. Yep... he'd go pretty well with the fans famous for making sure Damaso Marte never pitched in the Cell again

Well that's a problem...but he would come cheap.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Even in a down year, Luis Castillo managed a .355 OBP. His lifetime OBP is .367. Assuming his knee problem can be addressed, it might be a good idea to buy low on him, and see what he can do leading off. Edited by almagest

Castillo almost slugged below .300 last season. I'm a big fan of slugging, but I can make exceptions for guys that do like .350-.350 or .370-.330 at the top of the order, but .305 is absolutely piss poor. Regardless of how well you run, it's still going to take 2 singles to bring you home, and in some cases even a double and a single.

I would rather take my chances on Jerry Owens throwing left handed from 2B than bring in Castillo.

OFFSEASON

FREE AGENCY:

-Offer Orland Cabrera arbitration (99.9% chance he walks and signs somewhere else-gains us 2 draft picks)

-Offer Ken Griffey Jr. arbitration (very good chance he walks-gains us 1-2 draft picks if so)

-Let Joe Crede go

-Buyout Toby Hall's team option

-Offer Juan Uribe arbitration (could go either way with him, as along as he is only a backup. If he wants to try and go somewhere else to get more PT or something, oh well)

----------

-Sign 2B Orlando Hudson to a 3 year, 25 million dollar contract (roughly 8 million per year), with an option for a 4th year at 9 million.

-Sign RHSP Pedro Martinez to a 1 year, 4 million dollar contract with incentives/bonuses that could double his salary. Includes a team option for 2010.

-I also wouldn't mind signing one of those young cuban prospects and throwing them into the farm system for a couple years, most preferably Noel Arguellez.

TRADES:

-Trade for C Gerald Laird. The Rangers have Ramirez, Teagarden, and Salty, there isn't a chance they don't trade Laird. Laird is a very good defensive catcher who can throw out runners with ease (espically compared to Pierzynski). Plus, he provides a pretty decent bat. He would provide us with a great platoon option at catcher. The Rangers would want pitching in return, but not sure who exactly. We could probably get him for Jack Egbert, or some sort of combination of our mediocre pitching prospects and struggling relief pitchers. I tend to think that Egbert would get it done as he should be intriguing to the Rangers due to his sinker and his low HR numbers.

-Trade for 3B Chone Figgins. Not sure what exactly it would cost to get him, or what the Angels would want, but I would offer Josh Fields for him and go from there. Figgins is very expandable for the Angels as they have a jammed OF and Kendrick at 2B, as well as some other options at 3B including Wood. I think Fields would/could get it done.

LINEUP:

1. Figgins, 3B

2. Hudson, 2B

3. Quentin, LF

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Thome, DH

6. Dye, RF

7. Ramirez, SS

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Anderson, CF

*Swisher platoons with Anderson in CF, acts as the 4th OF, and backup 1B. He should still get plenty of PA's in this role.

BENCH:

C, Laird (platoons with Pierzynski)

INF, Getz

UTL, Bourgeois (he and Getz also act as primary pinch runners)

OF/1B, Swisher

ROTATION:

1. Buehrle

2. Floyd

3. Danks

4. Vazquez

5. Martinez

BULLPEN:

CL: Jenks

SU: Thornton

SU: Linebrink (if finally healthy)

MRP/SU: Dotel

MRP/LRP: Carrasco

MRP: Macdougal (if he has his head on straight)

LRP: Richard

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I feel if KW did this, we would have a pretty damn solid team going into 09. We'd have a much more sound team with more speed and better D. I am no BA fan, but he has improved his bat and provides ++D out there. He is likely our best option out there. I really like the idea of bringing in Laird to be a platoon option with Pierzynski, and I think it would be really smart to have him be the main catcher for one of Danks or Floyd because his D will help their development, IMO.

Pitching wise, our rotation stays pretty much the same. We bring in Martinez and hope he has a similar impact that El Duque had in 05. Martinez might not be the same pitcher he used to be, but he is still a pitcher. Odds are that he will likely fade come the second half, but hopefully by then either Poreda will be ready, or one of our other pitching prospects, such as Broadway, steps it up.

What are your thoughts?

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Laird is a very valued commodity. Why would the Rangers trade him for a pitcher like Egbert who is a non-prospect?

I figure his trade value will go down with the fact it is almost a guarantee they will trade him. It might take more than Egbert, but not much more, IMO.