Off-Season Suggestion Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
Is anybody else getting sick of hearing the name Joe Crede on our board? Or should I just get over it? f*** Joe Crede.

Fixed. I could insert a s*** more names before I put in Chone Figgins. He actually brings alot to the table, only problem is that he would be hard to get.

Yes but every year all we hear about is Figgins, Figgins Figgins.

Let's see he hit .276 this year in 116 games with a whopping 22 RBIs. He had 34 stolen bases and was caught 13 times. He's 30 years old. He hit one home run and had 14 doubles and one triple. One measly triple. He had 62 walks so his OBP was .367. He struck out 80 times. He scored 72 runs.

Am I missing something here??

Oh I forgot, he's not on our team and we don't see him every day, so he's great.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:23 AM)
Yes but every year all we hear about is Figgins, Figgins Figgins.

Let's see he hit .276 this year in 116 games with a whopping 22 RBIs. He had 34 stolen bases and was caught 13 times. He's 30 years old. He hit one home run and had 14 doubles and one triple. One measly triple. He had 62 walks so his OBP was .367. He struck out 80 times. He scored 72 runs.

Am I missing something here??

Oh I forgot, he's not on our team and we don't see him every day, so he's great.

He gives you a legit leadoff man, I would love a .367 OBP from our leadoff spot, plus he brings some speed. I dont think he is ideal, but he is one of the best "somewhat" possible options out there. If he played 162 games, he woudlve scored just over 100 runs if you take the ratio...There just arent alot of quality options out htere for the Sox, and he is def. one of the best. Who know though if the Angels are actually willing to deal him, or for what cost though.

Is his stolen base ratio that good? I know it's a different position, but seriously wouldn't Owens put up Figgins like numbers if he played all year? One triple? One home run? He did hve a good series vs. Boston I'll give him that. After his 0-for-5 he was an on-base machine.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
No he isn't a "plus" fielder and his OBP was .328. He has very little pop as well. I rather have Cabrera or Uribe over him.
But he did have gaudy numbers in AAA in 2005 and 2007:

2005 - .355 .403 .518, 20/31 BB/K

2007 - .359 .422 .537, 30/46 BB/K

If Iowa/PCL isn't a ridiculously hitter-friendly league, he could be a good "buy low" kind of guy.

And now a Desmond DeChone "Chone" Figgins "fun fact", courtesy of Wikipedia:

Listed generously at 5'7" or 5'8", Figgins is one of the shortest players in Major League Baseball, though he is powerfully built and possesses gap power along with his excellent speed.

Awesome!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
Is his stolen base ratio that good? I know it's a different position, but seriously wouldn't Owens put up Figgins like numbers if he played all year? One triple? One home run? He did hve a good series vs. Boston I'll give him that. After his 0-for-5 he was an on-base machine.

Owens was never close to an OBP like that or what Figgins has put up in his career. We may be lucky if Owens ever reaches .350, Figgins does that routinely. His SB ratio is about 75%, good but not great, just for comparisons sake, Pods gave us around 70% in '05.

Listed generously at 5'7" or 5'8", Figgins is one of the shortest players in Major League Baseball, though he is powerfully built and possesses gap power along with his excellent speed.

Wikipedia is impressed by his one triple in the gaps.

I'm logging into the chat room now if anybody wants to talk baseball. Oops I cant find the chat option. Weird.

Edited by greg775

Would the Mets have any interest in Dye? Dye for Daniel Murphy is a move I would like to see.

Murphy came into the Mets org. as a 3B. Obviously he was blocked by Wright, so they switched him over to 2B and LF while in the minors. He got the call to the big show this past August, where he started every subsequent MLB game in LF.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
Would the Mets have any interest in Dye? Dye for Daniel Murphy is a move I would like to see.

Murphy came into the Mets org. as a 3B. Obviously he was blocked by Wright, so they switched him over to 2B and LF while in the minors. He got the call to the big show this past August, where he started every subsequent MLB game in LF.

If you trade Dye, you must get pitching back.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:02 AM)
Just get Roberts somehow...I want no part of Figgins.

I see Roberts as another Cabrera like deal, where we get him and let him walk after the year because of the huge demand he will have in FA. I think he would be a great pickup if we could get him, maybe a Fields and a couple mid tier prospects in the like of Ely and someone else. Maybe a fourth. He would help tremendously, and then youre basically garunteed 2 draft picks if you dont resign him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
I see Roberts as another Cabrera like deal, where we get him and let him walk after the year because of the huge demand he will have in FA. I think he would be a great pickup if we could get him, maybe a Fields and a couple mid tier prospects in the like of Ely and someone else. Maybe a fourth. He would help tremendously, and then youre basically garunteed 2 draft picks if you dont resign him.

He's going to be in much higher demand than that. Cabrera cost a durable starting pitcher who had a 4.23 ERA the pervious season...you aren't going to get Roberts for Fields and a couple mid tier prospects, because Fields himself is a mid tier prospect at this point in time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
He's going to be in much higher demand than that. Cabrera cost a durable starting pitcher who had a 4.23 ERA the pervious season...you aren't going to get Roberts for Fields and a couple mid tier prospects, because Fields himself is a mid tier prospect at this point in time.

Fair enough, would Poreda and Fields be enough? Or would that cripple us too much? I personally am not a fan of Poreda, I think he will only be a bullpen arm, but he seems to be well regarded. Maybe 2 or 3 more prospects. I just like the thought of getting him becuase Im not that high on Fields/Poreda and would love us to get Roberts, to compete next year, and get those draft picks and use them well like we seem to be doing now.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:44 AM)
Fair enough, would Poreda and Fields be enough? Or would that cripple us too much? I personally am not a fan of Poreda, I think he will only be a bullpen arm, but he seems to be well regarded. Maybe 2 or 3 more prospects. I just like the thought of getting him becuase Im not that high on Fields/Poreda and would love us to get Roberts, to compete next year, and get those draft picks and use them well like we seem to be doing now.

Very possibly, but I think that would have to be a last resort thing, and that's only if KW feels that Roberts is one of THE missing pieces to the team (which is a distinct possibility to be quite honest).

For next season and in the future, I wish the Sox would put an emphasis on "5-tool" players.

I think we've had too many players on the Sox who are one-trick ponies, I'd rather see 5-tool-style players that can do everything, similar in the mold of Grady Sizemore, Curtis Granderson, Jimmy Rollins, Brian Roberts, BJ Upton, Cory Hart, Brandon Phillips, etc etc etc. Basically players that can contribute here and there and not constantly try to hit home runs all the time.

The only player currently on the Sox that I can see even possibly resemble anything close to a 5-tool player is Alexie Ramirez.

Hopefully the Sox start drafting players with 5-tool potential as well, and that's why I'm a little optimistic about this Beckham dude, cause he seems like he can become the 5-tool type.

I'd also like to see Kenny possibly take a chance on another one of those Cuban free agents that Cubano posted about.

I love Granderson. I'd love to have Bartlett at least the Bartlett that hits against us. I realize Grandy is probably the face of the Tigers and they'd never ship him to us. WHen's he become a free agent? What bout Bartlett. When he a free agent?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 01:57 AM)
I love Granderson. I'd love to have Bartlett at least the Bartlett that hits against us. I realize Grandy is probably the face of the Tigers and they'd never ship him to us. WHen's he become a free agent? What bout Bartlett. When he a free agent?

Right around his 33rd birthday. Yeah, they locked him up.

Here's a good one. Would yu guys be willing to risk one mere season to finally find out if we have any players in our organization?

We go with Getz at second, Lexi at ss and Fields at third and Swish at first.

We go with Carlos in left, Owens/Wise in cf and Dye in right.

We go with AJP as catcher and Thome as DH.

We only trade Paulie to whomever he wants to be traded to. If we can't trade him, then we trade Jimmy to a team he'll go to. Just one trade with one of the big boppers involved if they agree.

The trade is for a backup catcher prospect who actually can spell AJP, get some hits and throw people out. We need to rest AJP more.

We keep Mark, Floyd, Danks and Clayton as our starters with Poreda No. 5. We move Javy to bullpen, huge salary be damned in this one season experiment.

We keep the same bullpen corps.

Our speed allegedly would be better if the guys could get on base.

We see where it takes us.

Would you do it?

Guys ... isn't there a chance this team could win? We'd be faster in theory.

If you dismiss my idea, at least tell me how you think the team I put on the field would

fare. Remember our s***ty division.

Edited by greg775

Would love to still be watching sox baseball but i love the off season suggestion thread.

I'd prefer for KW to continue what hes great at, buying low and overpaying for young talent!

Move Dye for prospects from any of the following organizations: Mets, Phillies, Reds, Dodgers, Rays, Yankees, Angels.

Trade Vazquez to the brewers for Weeks and prospects.

Keep fields and let him start at 3B did we forget in '07 he put up this line 244/308/480, his value is pretty low and he might only be keeping the hot corner warm for Beckham, if he proves him self healthy and puts up Glaus like numbers in '10 you can move him across the diamond and move PK to DH since thome will be coming off the books, if he sucks for '09 well he was only a place holder at the hot corner to begin with. He also never got a real chance to showcase his wheels at the ML level, and is still fairly young. If he completely fails we can give Getz a very long look or put uribe back out there.

Trade most of the farm away for McLouth and Snell (Poreda, Allen, Shelby prospects from dye and vazquez) what ever need be.

Sign Derek Lowe(yes hes a boras client) or Garcia

Put Clayton in the Pen

Pick up Toby's option

Re up with uribe

R Weeks 2B

L McLouth CF

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

S Swisher LF

R Ramirez SS

L AJP C

R Fields 3B

Thats a team with alot of pop, alot of strike outs and above average speed. Above average defense in the OF, average defense in the infield, Weeks and Fields will make some spectacular plays, but occasionally boot the easy ones. Ramirez is the wild card he could be amazing, he could be average, and Paul has no range but decent hands.

Mark

Lowe/Garcia

John

Gavin

Ian

Hall

Getz

Anderson

Uribe

Jenks

Linebrink

Dotel

Thornton

Carrassco

Russell

Richard

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 02:17 AM)
Here's a good one. Would yu guys be willing to risk one mere season to finally find out if we have any players in our organization?

We go with Getz at second, Lexi at ss and Fields at third and Swish at first.

We go with Carlos in left, Owens/Wise in cf and Dye in right.

We go with AJP as catcher and Thome as DH.

We only trade Paulie to whomever he wants to be traded to. If we can't trade him, then we trade Jimmy to a team he'll go to. Just one trade with one of the big boppers involved if they agree.

The trade is for a backup catcher prospect who actually can spell AJP, get some hits and throw people out. We need to rest AJP more.

We keep Mark, Floyd, Danks and Clayton as our starters with Poreda No. 5. We move Javy to bullpen.

We keep the same bullpen corps.

Our speed allegedly would be better if the guys could get on base.

We see where it takes us.

Would you do it?

Guys ... isn't there a chance this team could win?

This scenario does intrigue me. Do you suppose we'd go after pitching or a position player with our top 10 pick in 2010?

Kalapse why would that team be a certain disaster? If all went well, my rotation would be good. Javy might contribute in middle relief. The lineup would be faster.

We've still got Quentin, Dye, Lexi, AJ and Swish, who so many love, on the team.

Why would my team suck balls? Please explain.

Edited by greg775