Off-Season Suggestion Thread

maggsmaggs

After some thought, here is my completely realistic offseason plan:

Sox needs: 1 SP, 1 3B, 1 SS/2B, (1 CF?), (RP?)

Need 1: SP

Ben Sheets. I know all the reasons why not. But think about the why yes. First, despite being a top talent when healthy, he will not command more years than Reinsdorf is willing to go. 3-4 years with incentives would probably be the max contract length. Granted, he will undoubtedly injure himself at some point. Fortunately, we should have backups halfway through next year in Contreras, Poreda, Richard, Broadway, etc. Worst case scenario we convert him to a closer at some point in his contract a la Smoltz and Wood.

Need 2: 3B

I really think KW will give Fields another shot next year when he's fully healthy, but that doesn't mean he should be given the job without any competition. Since GB is being projected as a middle infielder in as little as two years, it seems like KW should try to invest in something long term at 3B. I think KW will bring in someone to compete or share time with Fields at 3B. I could see Teahen coming over relatively cheap after putting together a couple lackluster seasons after seemingly breaking out. With all the talent coming up in the Royals system, he could be nabbed. However, I think a better choice might be Bill Hall. Also a couple seasons removed from a breakout year, he has all sorts of talent pushing him out of a job in Milwaukee. Additionally, he spent a good amount of time in CF (more later...). Granted, he's not the best defensive option, but I think it would be a lot easier to acquire him than say Beltre. If all the options fall on their respective faces, I expect KW would have Uribe waiting on the bench.

Need 3: SS/2B

With Ramirez being able to play either position, it makes it easier for KW to find a complementary player. While I really don't think KW should be selling Swisher low, I think a team that matches up really well for a trade is the Braves. Their outfield is in shambles. With Andruw gone and Francoeur all over the place, their strength is their infield. With ample talent at SS/2B in Prado, Cabrera, Johnson, and Lillibridge, they could trade out of their strength for some outfield help. Now if they think they can be seriously competitive next year with their aging rotation coming back, they might be more interested in Dye. Either way, I think we could match up well. I could definitely see a Swisher for Kelly Johnson trade going down. Johnson would add a lefty bat and a pretty decent OBP. He would reach free agency in about three years, so he'd be a good transition to GB.

Need 4: CF

Trading Swisher/Dye would necessitate a movement to acquire a CF unless KW had plans for Owens/Anderson. Initially, I thought Baldelli would be a prime buy-low target. The Rays certainly won't be bringing him back with all the talent on their roster. However, with the news of his muscular disease, maybe he was done. Then he homers against the Red Sox, and reports of his medication going into effect come out. If the Sox acquired Hall, they could use him as a safety net in case Baldelli went down again.

Need 5: RP

I don't think this is a pronounced need if the pen stays healthy. After this past season where KW spent crazy dollars on relievers, I don't think anything is out of the question short of some crazy K-Rod contract. Maybe an incentive-laden contract for Rafael Soriano?

Overall in this scenario, the Sox would take on some risk betting that these players either stay healthy or reinact some of their previous performances, but that's what goes into a season. You need a few things to break your way if you're going to win it all anyway. In this scenario, the Sox don't trade many prospects at all from a depleted farm system except for Bill Hall. It doesn't have any complicated 3-way trades that would never go down. It doesn't give out any ridiculous long-term contracts that you know would never fly with Sox brass. Their aren't any deluded visions of all-stars coming to our team save a "healthy" Sheets. There aren't any longshot notions of the Sox trading one of their aging veterans for future perennial all-stars. This seems like the most realistically optimistic vision I have for the 2009 season.

Lineup

Kelly Johnson

Baldelli/Alexei

Quentin

Dye

Thome

Konerko

Alexei/Baldelli

AJ

Hall/Fields/(Uribe)

Rotation

Mark

Sheets/(Contreras)/(Poreda)/(Richard)

Danks

Floyd

Vazquez

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, I like the thoughts, but I imagine Sheets is going to get $15+ mill a year, even if on a short-term deal (and I could still see him getting 5 guaranteed). I also am not a fan of either Bill Hall or Mark Teahen, as both have been in downward trends over the past 2 seasons, which is a warning sign as far as I'm concerned. I also don't think that Swisher alone has the value to get Kelly Johnson, but he's an intriguing player all the same.

Sheets isn't going to go for an incentives-based deal, he will want guarantees and he will get them from some crazy GM/owner combination.

Second, Bill Hall is a disaster defensively...good idea, but it's generally better to try to find an undervauled player who's young and has upside rather than a player on the wrong side of 30. However, I don't think he would cost as much as some think, and he would be perfect for the Uribe "supersub" role, having the versatility to play most infield and outfield positions (albeit not very well!!)

I don't think the Royals are going to have any incentive to trade us a potential starter in Teahen/Joe Randa Lite. Yes, Gordon's ensconced over there (although he could move to 1B if Shealy flops again) for now...and Teahen doesn't have the power for a corner outfield spot. Neither does DeJesus, to be honest. I think the odds of him being dealt to another team in the division are minimal at best. He's not a journeyman reliever, he's a decent player with doubles power who very easily could have a bounceback season batting in a line-up where there is a lot more protection all around him...that makes a big difference (Dye/Thome/Konerko/Quentin versus Jose Guillen and Alex Gordon to protect you!)

I wouldn't mind Kelly Johnson at all.

Finally, I have so-so confidence at best in the names you mentioned (Contreras, Poreda, Broadway, Richard) having a huge impact on the rotation next year. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. I think Poreda needs one more season to work on his command/control and offspeed stuff...Richard is ideally the 2nd lefty out of the pen...Contreras, the rest might be great for his arm, but I'm not sure his aging lower body can survive another season with all the weight you put on an Achilles'/ankle. Fingers crossed on that one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
I say we acquire Wakefield as our No. 5 starter.

Totally kidding. Can you believe those home runs tonight? My god did they tee off on him!

The Red Sox will never trade Wakefield. That's perhaps the best contract ever written for a baseball team.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I would love to see a significant upgrade at backup catcher. AJ has just piled on so many innings the last few years that I would love for the Sox to pick up a quality backup who could catch 2 days a week and contribute significantly on defense.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 16, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I would love to see a significant upgrade at backup catcher. AJ has just piled on so many innings the last few years that I would love for the Sox to pick up a quality backup who could catch 2 days a week and contribute significantly on defense.

Yeah someone in the Jose Molina mould (defensively) would be ideal for a backup catcher.

Gavin just needs to work on his move and winup, simple as that. There are plenty of guys slow to plate like Gavin, but they have made ajustments to combat base runners. Mixing up the time of his set, using an array of steps: slide step, normal, in-between, showing different pickoff moves. What Gavin needs to do is watch other guys and how they combat base runners or work with a pitching guru on stuff like this. Gavin can really help his ERA by holding on base runenrs better. As bad as AJ throws, he usually has no chance when Gavin is throwing to him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
Gavin just needs to work on his move and winup, simple as that. There are plenty of guys slow to plate like Gavin, but they have made ajustments to combat base runners. Mixing up the time of his set, using an array of steps: slide step, normal, in-between, showing different pickoff moves. What Gavin needs to do is watch other guys and how they combat base runners or work with a pitching guru on stuff like this. Gavin can really help his ERA by holding on base runenrs better. As bad as AJ throws, he usually has no chance when Gavin is throwing to him.

Heres the thing with Gavin. He needs a very structured and quiet windup to have any sense of control. He cant really throw out of different balance points and hurried windups. This is why he will always be terrible vs the run. But there are alot of successful pitchers that could never hold a runner on, Maddux is one that comes to mind.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
Heres the thing with Gavin. He needs a very structured and quiet windup to have any sense of control. He cant really throw out of different balance points and hurried windups. This is why he will always be terrible vs the run. But there are alot of successful pitchers that could never hold a runner on, Maddux is one that comes to mind.

But Maddux also rarely walked anybody, so he was allowing far less base runners than Gavin. As well, Maddux could field his position well so he helped out in that sense. The fact is Gavin is hurt because of the extra base runners he gives with walks.