2008 vs. 2000

Greg Hibbard

I was so disappointed in 2000, this year I thought it was a successful, fun season.

I believe the biggest difference between the two seasons was 2005. In 2000 I thought that could be the last chance for me to see a Sox World Series in my lifetime.

2000 was more fun because it was unexpected. It was a young team making its first run. I remember going to a Monday night game against Cleveland after a great Sox road trip (they beat the Yankees among other teams) where there was a playoff atmosphere and energy at the park that had been missing for too long. The 2000 playoffs turned out badly, but there was a lot of hope on the horizon.

In 2008, it seemed we kept waiting for the wheels to fall off. The end of the season turned out to be incredibly exciting with the Sox winning all of those "win or go home" games, but the regular season was more frustrating due to inconsistency and injuries. All in all, it's great to have enough division championships recently that we can debate which was better!

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
2000 was more fun because it was unexpected. It was a young team making its first run. I remember going to a Monday night game against Cleveland after a great Sox road trip (they beat the Yankees among other teams) where there was a playoff atmosphere and energy at the park that had been missing for too long. The 2000 playoffs turned out badly, but there was a lot of hope on the horizon.

In 2008, it seemed we kept waiting for the wheels to fall off. The end of the season turned out to be incredibly exciting with the Sox winning all of those "win or go home" games, but the regular season was more frustrating due to inconsistency and injuries. All in all, it's great to have enough division championships recently that we can debate which was better!

2008 was the better year, in my mind. Nobody expected us to do anything this year. Myself included. I was hoping for an 81 win team with a manager that I thought should have gotten the s*** can the year before. We outperformed expectations and our manager was doing the right thing more often than the wrong. Yeah, September was scary. But this March, I didn't even think September was going to matter this year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
Who expected us to win the division this year? I thought we would be terrible.

Yes, but once it became clear what we had(and what our competition didn't), there was no excuse at all not to make the play-offs. 2000 was different in that we were routing teams that were probably much better than us. That stretch against the Yankees and Indians was a turning point for the franchise.

For me, 2000 was a way more fun season, but 2008 was ultimately more satisfying. I've never had more fun than I had during the 2000 season as a White Sox fan, period (yes, including 2005 - which was gut wrenching at times but ultimately the MOST satisfyinging season as a fan). We had seen Cleveland absolutely steamroll us for 5 straight seasons and to see dudes like James Baldwin, Jim Parque and Mike Sirotka pull it together was really awesome. I savored literally every moment and I didn't care if we didn't win a single playoff game - MY team was in first place and MY guys were pulling it off. 1995-1999 seemed like utter hell.

In 2008, the regular season was difficult with wild, emotional swings by the fans. People were really wearing their hearts on their sleeves for whatever reason all year and it really made the season less fun for me. Maybe it's because the internet is so ubiquitous now compared to 2000. Ultimately there are probably more bright spots though, with the emergence of 2 sure-fire stars in Quentin and Ramirez and seemingly the future of the franchise much brighter.

2000 was way better. That offense was explosive. This year was brutal to watch at times. I have never been more frustrated while the sox were in first. I still do not know how this year added up to a playoff spot. It seriously felt like we lost a lot more than we won.

Edited by earthshiner

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
2000 was way better. That offense was explosive. This year was brutal to watch at times. I have never been more frustrated while the sox were in first. I still do not know how this year added up to a playoff spot. It seriously felt like we lost a lot more than we won.

I sort of like 2008 better based on the finish down the stretch. In 2000 we had everything wrapped up early, but down the stretch you could really feel like the team was limping along and just hoping that things would magically recover when we hit the playoffs. In 2008, we limped some, but then came storming Back (see: Alexei).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 01:48 AM)
Frank Thomas alone makes 2000 better for me. That was that season that put a big fat exclamation point on a HOF career for me. Many thought he was done before that year. He was obviously the real MVP.

that's what pisses me off the most about that season. but i agree with the fact that this year it was even frustrating to be in FIRST! But i think the last week almost made up for it. I'm always going to remember that playoff game - i don't remember any single game or great moment from 2000.

I have to say 2008 because they won 2 playoff games..That Minnesota game was the season for me...2000 was a let down because we went into the playoffs with so much hope and were let down! I mean embarressed..especially at home! Frank popped everything up and had 0 hits, we couldn't score runs late, we basically had no chance in any of those games against Seattle! I remember the season being fun like this one, but we had a huge division lead, and knew we would claim the title. This year it came down to 163 so there is absolutely no comparison. This is how I will rate the last 5 appearances

1) 2005 Most exciting team of course!

2) 1993 Very exciting team, would of bounced back in 1994

3) 2008 Game 163

4) 2000 Playoff disappointment

5) 1983 almost a replica of 2000

The 2000 team is still one of my favorites, who can forget "the kids can play?" slogan? I was at the fight game against Detroit and that made me like the team even more. Frank had a resurgence that year, was robbed of the mvp, greg norton was having a decent year, go hurt, enter the milkman to save the day. The only thing i dislike about that team was the signing of Ken Hill to try and fill teh fifth starters spot, he got ROCKED!

I like the 2008 team, but 2000 was just special, remember Pauly running around the bases and slifding into home in the Metrodome after we clinched, those were good times!