KW got it right

joeynach

And here's something KW got Wrong (and continues to do so)

Jerry Owens

"I had one scout tell me, one who saw a lot of Jerry Owens, that 'If you didn't have Owens, you would be out looking for Owens,'" said Williams with a laugh. "We went into last year with Owens slated to be our leadoff guy and only an injury derailed that. It's not the worst thing if that's how we end up."

We best all pray for the groin to give way again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
I'm completely behind Sandy Alomar/Charles Johnson at catcher and Greg Norton/Perry/Snopek for 3B.

If unavailable, Widger, Fordyce or Mark Johnson.

I'll take Norton any day of the week. I always felt he was legendary at third.

Edited by Markbilliards

I love that we'll most likely have 2 first rounders, a supplemental pick, and a 2nd rounder. How long has it been since we had 2 1st round draft picks? Like 1998? I don't feel like looking it up, but I wanna say it was that Kip Wells year. Regardless, it's a great way to keep rebuilding that farm system.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
Because Griffey was battling a knee injury that likely took away some of his power. He was also a great presence in the clubhouse and those years of experience do come in handy. Essentially, he'd be brought in as an insurance policy while hopefully getting 300 PAs off the bench, which would be the best case scenario. If you ask for .260 25 .800, I really don't think you are asking too much of him...the only thing that's necessary is having someone on the bench who can hit LHP, because Griffey's pretty much hopeless against lefties.

I'm still not going to rule out Griffey being the starting RFer for the White Sox next season either, though some crazy moves

would have to be made for something like that to work out, as in bringing in a good 3B and 2B/SS/CF.

I really wouldn't be surprised if something worked out to get Griff into the line up for 300-400 ABs. That knee injury combined with the type of hitter he is (one who generates power with his legs) means he was essentially just hitting with the weakest part of his swing last year, and still hitting a fair amount of balls into the gaps. I wouldn't want him around 7 days a week but about 3/5 of the time would be good for us and him. It would allow him to get plenty of rest so that his body wouldn't breakdown, and it would allow us to exploit some match ups.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
I really wouldn't be surprised if something worked out to get Griff into the line up for 300-400 ABs. That knee injury combined with the type of hitter he is (one who generates power with his legs) means he was essentially just hitting with the weakest part of his swing last year, and still hitting a fair amount of balls into the gaps. I wouldn't want him around 7 days a week but about 3/5 of the time would be good for us and him. It would allow him to get plenty of rest so that his body wouldn't breakdown, and it would allow us to exploit some match ups.

I think it'd be absolutely fantastic and would be something a mediocre bench over the past few years would need. You'd almost never ask Griffey to go play the field on one of his off days, but in a close game, he'd always be available for one at-bat against a good right-handed reliever. And I think it's entirely plausible that the Sox could get Griffey 300-400 ABs too. Keeping Anderson around would be a definite possibility, but if he's around, I wouldn't be surprised to see his role increase either. Griffey would also be available as insurance to CF, RF, DH, and as far as I'm concerned, 1B too. If any of those guys - whoever they are next year - have to hit the DL for a bit, Griffey is right there, ready to fill in.

I'd absolutely love Griffey back next year, but here or gone, it isn't a big deal to me. I'm just happy I got to see him play in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I think it'd be absolutely fantastic and would be something a mediocre bench over the past few years would need. You'd almost never ask Griffey to go play the field on one of his off days, but in a close game, he'd always be available for one at-bat against a good right-handed reliever. And I think it's entirely plausible that the Sox could get Griffey 300-400 ABs too. Keeping Anderson around would be a definite possibility, but if he's around, I wouldn't be surprised to see his role increase either. Griffey would also be available as insurance to CF, RF, DH, and as far as I'm concerned, 1B too. If any of those guys - whoever they are next year - have to hit the DL for a bit, Griffey is right there, ready to fill in.

I'd absolutely love Griffey back next year, but here or gone, it isn't a big deal to me. I'm just happy I got to see him play in a Sox uniform.

And I'll be happy when I know that I won't have to see him in a Sox uni again.