KW got it right

joeynach

According to http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ Orlando Cabrera is going to be listed as a type A free agent and Jon Garland as a type B. This makes the Cabrera/Garland swap immediately tilt in our favor, as we are entitled to a compensatory draft pick from whichever team signs Cabrera. Not only did KW fill the leadoff and SS hole for the season, which also allowed Gavin Floyd to get his shot, but he traded a 1 and done Type B for a 1 and done Type A. Its the little things like this that can really add up and make a difference. Well done Kenny Kudos

The real credit should go to http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com/ who did all the leg work on this. MLB Trade Rumors just posted the other guy's work on their site.

Also according to http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com/ Uribe and Griffey will be type B free agents (sandwich pick) and Crede's back to back s***ty, injury plagued seasons lead to the Sox receiving no compensation when he walks.

IF Crede walks, lol!! I'm not convinced yet that it will happen. We'll see.

Kind of the opposite of the Durham for Adkins deal where we were just trying to save money and "test drive" Willie Harris and there was a lot of speculation at the time that no compensation would be provided for lost FA's, so KW took a stab at Adkins' supposed plus arm in what turned out to be one of his worst PR disasters, along with the Barry/Berry Onan Masaoka deal.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)

Kind of the opposite of the Durham for Adkins deal where we were just trying to save money and "test drive" Willie Harris and there was a lot of speculation at the time that no compensation would be provided for lost FA's, so KW took a stab at Adkins' supposed plus arm in what turned out to be one of his worst PR disasters, along with the Barry/Berry Onan Masaoka deal.

Even if he would play for $3M on a 1 year deal I wouldn't bring him back. I'm looking forward to having a 3B who can actually play 155 games in a season. Having to play a backup at 3B for at least a month in 3 out of the last 4 seasons was rather annoying. Someone other than Joe Crede played 3B in 241 out 811 regular season games over the past 5 seasons or roughly 30% of the time. Yeah, f*** that.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Does Type B mean anything positive for us?

If we offer them (Uribe, Griffey) Arbitration but they decline and then sign with another team then we get a 2009 sandwich pick (between the 1st and 2nd rounds).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
I can't imagine us offering either of them.

I can't imagine us not offering on Uribe.

I'm hoping they were smart enough to ask Griffey about his intentions before announcing they wouldn't resign him. They could well have come to an agreement about offering him arbitration and him not accepting or something like that if they knew he wanted to play somewhere or knew he wanted a multi year deal, etc.

Uribe will be offered. If he can find a better deal, more years, or a chance to fight for the starting position...then more power to him and his agent.

There's about a 33% possibility they keep him as the starting 2B/SS, depending on what happens with the market this offseason, taking into consideration the economic downturn affecting general trends of committing to longer term deals, season ticket renewals, corporate sponsorships, etc.

I don't see the wild and reckless spending of the past 2-3 offseasons, maybe I'll be proven wrong on that one. But I doubt it.

As far as Griffey, no secret agreement, there's no way in hell we offer him arbitration and take that risk.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
If we offer them (Uribe, Griffey) Arbitration but they decline and then sign with another team then we get a 2009 sandwich pick (between the 1st and 2nd rounds).

Ok so thats Type B. So for Type A how does it work. I thought type A means that the team that signs our Type A players must give us their 1st round draft pick, am I correct?

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Ok so thats Type B. So for Type A how does it work. I thought type A means that the team that signs our Type A players must give us their 1st round draft pick, am I correct?

Type B you get a sandwich pick

Type A, you get a sandwich pick and a draft pick from the Signing team. If that draft pick is in the 2nd half of the first round (Picks 16-30) then you get their first round, pre-sandwich pick. If that draft pick is in the top 15, then you get the team's second round pick instead.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
Type B you get a sandwich pick

Type A, you get a sandwich pick and a draft pick from the Signing team. If that draft pick is in the 2nd half of the first round (Picks 16-30) then you get their first round, pre-sandwich pick. If that draft pick is in the top 15, then you get the team's second round pick instead.

Cool, so losing Cabrera should get us two players. If the Twins do wind up signing Cabrera then we would get the Twins 1st round pick (assuming their 88 win record nets a 16-30 pick). Thats like a double whamy b/c not only do we get an extra 1st rounder but we stop the twins from drafting in the first round, which is one of their strengths.

I still think there is a chance that Griffey is back next year. I think this was about them not picking up his option, which, duh, no one is paying $16 million for the guy. This doesn't mean we couldn't wait around and see what kind of offers he gets. Especially if one of the OFs/PK is dealt over the winter, Griffey could be a guy who could contribute 4 to 5 days a week and play RF, CF and DH. I could also see him being a quick study at 1B.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
Even if he would play for $3M on a 1 year deal I wouldn't bring him back. I'm looking forward to having a 3B who can actually play 155 games in a season. Having to play a backup at 3B for at least a month in 3 out of the last 4 seasons was rather annoying. Someone other than Joe Crede played 3B in 241 out 811 regular season games over the past 5 seasons or roughly 30% of the time. Yeah, f*** that.

And in this case, there is a reasonable assumption his back will be a reoccurring issue. Normally I like to point out the contract is for what you think he will do over the life of the contract, not what he has already done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)
I still think there is a chance that Griffey is back next year. I think this was about them not picking up his option, which, duh, no one is paying $16 million for the guy. This doesn't mean we couldn't wait around and see what kind of offers he gets. Especially if one of the OFs/PK is dealt over the winter, Griffey could be a guy who could contribute 4 to 5 days a week and play RF, CF and DH. I could also see him being a quick study at 1B.

Resigning Griffey?? Why? The guy is old, slow, and not what we need. Geez while we are at it why don't we bring back Roberto Alomar to play 2nd, Griffey plays center, and sign Kenny Rogers..Just sign all the old and over the hill players!!

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Resigning Griffey?? Why? The guy is old, slow, and not what we need. Geez while we are at it why don't we bring back Roberto Alomar to play 2nd, Griffey plays center, and sign Kenny Rogers..Just sign all the old and over the hill players!!

That would be taking the yankees approach....building a team to win the 1999 world series all over again.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)

Because Griffey was battling a knee injury that likely took away some of his power. He was also a great presence in the clubhouse and those years of experience do come in handy. Essentially, he'd be brought in as an insurance policy while hopefully getting 300 PAs off the bench, which would be the best case scenario. If you ask for .260 25 .800, I really don't think you are asking too much of him...the only thing that's necessary is having someone on the bench who can hit LHP, because Griffey's pretty much hopeless against lefties.

I'm still not going to rule out Griffey being the starting RFer for the White Sox next season either, though some crazy moves

would have to be made for something like that to work out, as in bringing in a good 3B and 2B/SS/CF.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:54 AM)

I am hopeing we sign Crede and Uribe both. Uribe can give us solid insurance at 2B and most certainly as the super sub. It is rather sad to see a player of Ken Griffey Jr's caliber being listed as a Type B free agent. It's all in what do you have left and done for me lately though. I don't see him abck with the Sox, but I think he did bring some class to the organization and helped us ger to the playoffs

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
Because Griffey was battling a knee injury that likely took away some of his power. He was also a great presence in the clubhouse and those years of experience do come in handy. Essentially, he'd be brought in as an insurance policy while hopefully getting 300 PAs off the bench, which would be the best case scenario. If you ask for .260 25 .800, I really don't think you are asking too much of him...the only thing that's necessary is having someone on the bench who can hit LHP, because Griffey's pretty much hopeless against lefties.

I'm still not going to rule out Griffey being the starting RFer for the White Sox next season either, though some crazy moves

would have to be made for something like that to work out, as in bringing in a good 3B and 2B/SS/CF.

Griffey is pushing 40! Are you serious?? When guys that age have knee or any other problems it hinders them from playing to their full potential moving forward! It doesn't heal easy anymore and will severely limit his playing time next year because of his age..And comparing this to the 1999 world series team is ridiculous! Griffey is basically done and has no place on this team...His numbers are declining and the money should be spent somewhere else. He also doesn't deserve to be on the bench with the career he has had...Come on guys!!

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)

I'm completely behind Sandy Alomar/Charles Johnson at catcher and Greg Norton/Perry/Snopek for 3B.

If unavailable, Widger, Fordyce or Mark Johnson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)
I am hopeing we sign Crede and Uribe both. Uribe can give us solid insurance at 2B and most certainly as the super sub. It is rather sad to see a player of Ken Griffey Jr's caliber being listed as a Type B free agent. It's all in what do you have left and done for me lately though. I don't see him abck with the Sox, but I think he did bring some class to the organization and helped us ger to the playoffs

What the f*** else are you going to base it on?