Fields to start in 2009?

DBAHO

Fields should be able to improve on his defense of 2007 when he was healthy. He wasn't anything special defensively--yet he wasn't a liability.

The 3b market is pretty bare. Fields will strike out a lot. But his power numbers and speed are decent. The sox just need to get defense, avg. and OBP from elsewhere. Why not stick with Fields and have a backup option with a good glove?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
While Owens has speed, Wise does what Owens could and gives the sox better defense at all 3 OF spots. Owens will probably never sport a high OBP even if he hits above .260.

And Wise hit .248 with a .293 OBP. He didn't exactly sport the OBP either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
And Wise hit .248 with a .293 OBP. He didn't exactly sport the OBP either.

I didn't mean to say that Wise was the answer for backup OFer. Yet Owens, IMO, does even less than Wise. I don't know how injured Owens was last year. Yet his 2007 wasn't stellar.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
I didn't mean to say that Wise was the answer for backup OFer. Yet Owens, IMO, does even less than Wise. I don't know how injured Owens was last year. Yet his 2007 wasn't stellar.

Yeah, I'd disagree completely with that. Wise is an OK 4th OFer, but the only thing he has on Owens is power. Owens is pretty much better in all regards, and I feel like I'm hurting my own reputation by saying that (even though I was completely against anything Wise in the postseason and previous).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 07:59 AM)
Yeah, I'd disagree completely with that. Wise is an OK 4th OFer, but the only thing he has on Owens is power. Owens is pretty much better in all regards, and I feel like I'm hurting my own reputation by saying that (even though I was completely against anything Wise in the postseason and previous).

The question is, who would fit better on the sox? Would Owens be a better 4th OFer than Wise?--I think no, not with defense at all 3 spots being a priority. Or do you think Owens has a chance at being a starter in a platoon situation[ with a RHB with speed, ala Willy Taveras]? That would be the only way Owens finds a spot on the 2009 roster. My guess is Owens doesn't have a roster spot on the 2009 sox, though he does have more overall skills than Wise.

My questions to KW would be:

If Josh Fields was so injured that it caused him not to be able to perform as anything but a mediocre minor leaguer why was he called up to the major leagues to take Crede's place when he was injured?

Why was he given a spot on the postseason roster?

Why wasn't he shut down in May or June?

I think a lot of this is just rhetoric trying to make fellow GMs believe KW is not desperate for a 3B. Fields has to be option C or D at best.

This is all a smoke screen. How can Stone, Gonzalez, Cowley, etc say last week that expect some 'big suprises' last week to all of a sudden KW saying "Were happy with Fields at 3b, Getz at 2b, etc..." We all know how KW works, he flies waaay under the radar. All the moves he makes, are moves we dont even mention on this board or haven't heard of.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
This is all a smoke screen. How can Stone, Gonzalez, Cowley, etc say last week that expect some 'big suprises' last week to all of a sudden KW saying "Were happy with Fields at 3b, Getz at 2b, etc..." We all know how KW works, he flies waaay under the radar. All the moves he makes, are moves we dont even mention on this board or haven't heard of.

I don't think Getz/Nix is Kenny just BSing, I think we will try to fill 2nd base with in house talent.

That said, I do agree 3rd base seems like a smokescreen. Fields was utterly useless last year, has big holes in his swing and is poor defensively. I think he can improve (as he DID show that tendancy in the minors), but I think we will bring in a new 3rd baseman.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
Ramirez was above average overall at 2B, I thought. Mental mistakes, but also made a lot of plays that many others at that position do not. Not sure how that will translate to SS, but, that was his native position. I'd be he develops into a plus defender over there (thought he probably won't be right away).

Fields is definitely a big downgrade defensively from Uribe or Crede (the uninjured version), and that would be tough to watch.

Expect the same mental mistakes at SS now. I prefer that Alexei stay at 2B with one year under his belt there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 06:50 AM)
My questions to KW would be:

If Josh Fields was so injured that it caused him not to be able to perform as anything but a mediocre minor leaguer why was he called up to the major leagues to take Crede's place when he was injured?

Why was he given a spot on the postseason roster?

Why wasn't he shut down in May or June?

I think a lot of this is just rhetoric trying to make fellow GMs believe KW is not desperate for a 3B. Fields has to be option C or D at best.

Exactly. If you come and say we are in the market for a third baseman, blah blah blah, then you lose all leverage. Teams that you might trade with know that you are desperate for a 3rd baseman and can hold out until you budge and agents whose clients you may be interested in can hold out for more money. KW is just playing the game of being GM, you say you like your team so no one's feelings are hurt and you keep your leverage. If you ever believe KW is content, then you need to get your head examined, he is always trying to improve the club.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
I think Kenny is serious.

So most people who expect different are simply setting themselves up for disappointment.

I think he is serious as well....I'm not of the mind that he won't look to improve at 2b and 3b (and leadoff), but I do believe he is mentally prepared to enter the season with those guys. That's not to say he wants to do that, but it certainly gives him a slightly firmer ground to stand on in negotiations with other GM's and Free Agents.

As for the scout's comment regarding Jerry Owens, I'm not sure it's an inditement on the scout so much as it is on Kenny Williams and the Sox FO.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Exactly. If you come and say we are in the market for a third baseman, blah blah blah, then you lose all leverage. Teams that you might trade with know that you are desperate for a 3rd baseman and can hold out until you budge and agents whose clients you may be interested in can hold out for more money. KW is just playing the game of being GM, you say you like your team so no one's feelings are hurt and you keep your leverage. If you ever believe KW is content, then you need to get your head examined, he is always trying to improve the club.

Do you think other GM's don't know you are looking for a 3B? Kenny makes a couple of calls asking about 3B's and every GM knows it. This has nothing to do with leverage or trying to smokescreen the other GM's. It's all about saving face if nothing comes through. And that is not a criticism of KW as all GM's have to do that.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
Do you think other GM's don't know you are looking for a 3B? Kenny makes a couple of calls asking about 3B's and every GM knows it. This has nothing to do with leverage or trying to smokescreen the other GM's. It's all about saving face if nothing comes through. And that is not a criticism of KW as all GM's have to do that.

KW probably wants other GMs to at least entertain the thought that while he may be looking for a 3B, he's more than willing just to let Fields have the job. It could lower an asking price if they don't believe he's totally desperate. Its a poker game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
Let me immediately call bulls***, and just say that Kenny talks like this all of the time. He always says the guys that are here are "his" guys. Then a month later he goes out and gets the guy he really wants. This is just Kenny being Kenny.

I agree hes all smoke and mirrors with this crap, he does it all the time. Is very careful of what he says to the media and uses them to position himself in anticipation of negotiations and the FA market. He did the same thing after 04 I think saying he had 100% confidence in Grilli for next season. Then signed the guys he wanted and cut Grilli. This is just Kenny being Kenny, not that thats a bad thing, but the problem is fool me once shame on you..fool me twice shame on me.

Well, remember his comments last offseason about DET making the moves for Willis and Cabrera to put them in a position to compete with the Sox?

He always has a certain bragaddocio...that said, he's seen the likes of Julio Ramirez, Willie Harris, D'Angelo Jimenez and many other "speculative" moves on "undervalued/underachieving/injured" projects or suspects backfire. So really, what he has done is given us emergency or back-up plans (Plan C or D) on his list while he goes out and tries to improve the team going forward.

I was a fan of Josh Fields, but after seeing him last year, I want him traded ASAP while he still has some value. Watching him at plate, he has about 0% confidence and his approach is beyond awful. He and Brandon Wood are very similar, IMO. Both are big pussies when they are at bat.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)
Well, remember his comments last offseason about DET making the moves for Willis and Cabrera to put them in a position to compete with the Sox?

Yep, this talk about Fields, Owens, a blockbuster deal, and the signing of low-risk Nix, all of it, Is very reminiscent of last year’s offseason, which as far as I’m concerned is a very good thing. Kenny’s gonna get the job done no matter what.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
KW probably wants other GMs to at least entertain the thought that while he may be looking for a 3B, he's more than willing just to let Fields have the job. It could lower an asking price if they don't believe he's totally desperate. Its a poker game.

While I agree that KW has to have a "poker face" in his negotiations, I also think that fans put more emphasis on that than is realistic. These guys are professionals and they know who wants what and what they are willing to give up to get it, in general.