Trading Vazquez a "priority"

witesoxfan

If the sox trade Javy, they should deal for Justin Duchscherer. While he's an injury risk [hip problem not an arm issue], he'd likely come cheap in terms of talent. Yet if healthy, he could be a #1 or #2 SP. Poreda would be insurance and ready for mid year call up.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite part of the article is what KW says about Poreda...

"I didn't have him on the '09 roster originally," Williams said, "but I live in Arizona, so I've seen him a few times—and I'm not blind."

It really seems that they think Poreda is ready. Like others said, get some people on the phone and see if we can get some solid talent here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Unlike the last couple years, I'm not sure there's anything I really want from the Mets right now.

Daniel Murphy and one of their top prospects could be a possible option.

I don't want Luis Castillo though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Castillo is so scary...just say no Kenny!

FWIW, here's a report on Murphy from August;

B-Mets Hitting Coach Luis Natera on Dan Murphy

He’s got a lot of ability and he wanted to get better. We’ve spent a lot of time together. Three days ago, I saw Murphy a little down, and I asked him, ‘do you have any doubt that you’re the best hitter in this league?’ He just lifted his eyes, and I told him, ‘you can’t have any doubt.’ Maybe he’s not leading the league in hitting, but to me, he’s the best hitter in the league right now.

Before, to hit to right field, he had to cheat. Now he just reacts. He learned how to pull his hands in through it, and now he pulls the ball by reaction. … before, [to get to] that pitch he was cheating and he would hook it…

To me he’s going to be a great hitter at the major league level.

Murphy:

In 2008, the Mets began moving him with moving him around the diamond, finding him time at leftfield and first base before second. Murphy enjoys the experience, “I just come in every day and it’s a surprise where I play. It’s exciting to tell you the truth. The fact that I get to play multiple positions – I think the organization is showing a lot of faith in me.”

Fact:

Just to put into perspective the years that these guys are having in AA ball. (Evans still has enough AB's to qualify) In the entire Eastern League there are only four players under the age of 24 who have a batting average over .300, and an OPS over .800. Carp (22 years old), Murphy (23), Evans (22) and Lou Merson from the Phillies system, who is 22 as well. In the other two AA leagues, the Texas League and the Southern League, there are a grand total of 5 in each league who are accomplishing the same thing. Many of those are prize prospects like Dexter Fowler from the Rockies, or Mat Gamel, and Alcides Escobar from the Brewers farm.

Me:

Basically, I believe Murphy is a average prospect playing 1B/3B/OF, but at 2B I believe he's an above average prospect. The kid can rake, there is no questioning that, and I think he'll put in enough work to become an average defensive 2B. I could see him 15 HR and stealing 20 bases in the big leagues and at second base that would be amazing. Poor mans Chase Utley

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
I'm starting to like this Daniel Murphy.

I saw him quite a bit this season.

He's not a big power hitter, but he looked like the type of hitter who could definitely hit .300 in the majors, he's got a pretty nice swing.

I think the Mets are going to try and trade Castillo and move him (Murphy) to 2nd base, but if you could pry him loose for Vaz, he's exactly the type of young hitter the Sox should be targeting IMHO.

I've seen Murphy play in person. (Several times actually.) He's got a real nice short swing, and is a much more contact oriented player. He's not going to hit a ton of balls out of the park, but 20 HR's is def. in reach.

I'd really be concerned about Murphy's defensive abilities at third base. From what I saw of him he looked like he may have some trouble with his footwork on hard hit ground balls. He's also not very mobile.... I think he can be worked with though and could at some point be an average defensive player.

The thing I like about Danny is that he seems to be real clutch in RBI situations. It didn't seem to phase him playing either at the Minor or Major League level. The guy is a flat out ball player.

The Mets are real high on him though. If Kenny were to acquire him as a throw in, I'd be ecstatic.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I've seen Murphy play in person. (Several times actually.) He's got a real nice short swing, and is a much more contact oriented player. He's not going to hit a ton of balls out of the park, but 20 HR's is def. in reach.

I'd really be concerned about Murphy's defensive abilities at third base. From what I saw of him he looked like he may have some trouble with his footwork on hard hit ground balls. He's also not very mobile.... I think he can be worked with though and could at some point be an average defensive player.

The thing I like about Danny is that he seems to be real clutch in RBI situations. It didn't seem to phase him playing either at the Minor or Major League level. The guy is a flat out ball player.

The Mets are real high on him though. If Kenny were to acquire him as a throw in, I'd be ecstatic.

I'd almost take him as the main piece in a trade with the Mets to be honest (they'd have to throw in some pitching prospects also).

To have a guy who could hit .300 under your control for 5 seasons would be extremely valuable, especially when he could potentially play in a big need position for the Sox (2B/3B).

But the Sox would have to go into FA and sign a replacement for Vazquez. I'd look at one of the Japanese pitchers, as the likes of Lowe and Sheets are probably going to get too rich for KW's liking.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
I'd almost take him as the main piece in a trade with the Mets to be honest (they'd have to throw in some pitching prospects also).

To have a guy who could hit .300 under your control for 5 seasons would be extremely valuable, especially when he could potentially play in a big need position for the Sox (2B/3B).

But the Sox would have to go into FA and sign a replacement for Vazquez. I'd look at one of the Japanese pitchers, as the likes of Lowe and Sheets are probably going to get too rich for KW's liking.

You are correct. As long as the Mets agree to eat that 23 million dollar salary. Then I'd have no problem making him the main piece of this deal. If not than I want something else. Javy has a lot of value to the Mets because he can eat innings. Believe it or not, they'd be better of having Javy go 7-8 innings a game than handing the ball to someone in that bullpen.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
You are correct. As long as the Mets agree to eat that 23 million dollar salary. Then I'd have no problem making him the main piece of this deal. If not than I want something else. Javy has a lot of value to the Mets because he can eat innings. Believe it or not, they'd be better of having Javy go 7-8 innings a game than handing the ball to someone in that bullpen.

Oh yeah that bullpen was just terrible for them this season.

A guy who can eat innings as Vaz can, definitely has some value to them. And he should put up better numbers in the NL and in a pitchers park.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
Oh yeah that bullpen was just terrible for them this season.

A guy who can eat innings as Vaz can, definitely has some value to them. And he should put up better numbers in the NL and in a pitchers park.

Do we know that Citifield is set up as a pitcher's park?

From the Citi Field Page on Mets.com

"Pitcher Friendly: Distinctive asymmetrical outfield walls, along with generous dimensions (LF - 335'; LC - 379'; CF - 408'; RC - 383'; RF - 330') make for a traditional pitcher's park."

It's designed to be a pitcher's park. We're going to have to wait and see.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 06:36 AM)
My favorite part of the article is what KW says about Poreda...

"I didn't have him on the '09 roster originally," Williams said, "but I live in Arizona, so I've seen him a few times—and I'm not blind."

It really seems that they think Poreda is ready. Like others said, get some people on the phone and see if we can get some solid talent here.

This much outside Poreda talk mean they may be setting him up for a trade.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
As I said earlier, when comments like those come out, I read into it as the organization trying to sell the fans on these young players.

I agree.

Suggesting that the Sox are using this to try and trade Poreda is reading way too much into it, IMO.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I don't really buy that. Are there GM's out there that now value Poreda higher because Williams is talking up his own guy? If Poreda is dealt, he is going to be scouted by said team numerous times before acquired.

As I said earlier, when comments like those come out, I read into it as the organization trying to sell the fans on these young players.

How many times has a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Mets benefited from a lot of positive media attention on one of their prospects before they traded them?

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
there is a reason yankee and red sox prospects get all the attention they do, and it's not because they're always better than the next prospect...

hype does play a part when you're discussing certain organizations...

I don't think many Gm's check with Peter Gammons before acquiring a prospect.