Sox interested in Cuban 3rd Sacker

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (Cubano @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
I root for the Nats for two reasons:

1. They are close to me. I dislike the O's.

2. The Nats were a major player in the cuban market back in the days.

I root for the Sox now. I appreciate a lot that The Sox gave a real chance to Ramirez to play straight from Cuba at the MLB level.

I think you would appreciate even more the 2nd and 3rd chances they gave to El Gran Titan de Bronze to get his act together.

Another thing I found funny...in the new James Bond movie, there's a Bolivian secret service agent being played by a Ukrainian actress, Olga Kurylenko. How the director expects us to believe someone who's half-Bolivian (in the movie) and grew up in Bolivia would speak English with a pronounced Russian English is beyond me (the explanation is that the mother was Russian, the father Bolivian and part of the military junta). In fact, I think her few ventures into Spanish were better than her English pronunciation. I guess they couldn't find any Hispanic actresses!

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
Yet he hit .303 from 2002-2004 in the Cuban league. But hit .265 3 years later in the easier league.

Miranda in Cuba

Series AB H AVE 2B 3B HR SLU RBI W K Fielding AVE Total Bases

4 1138 343 301 70 14 57 538 205 197 242 981

Miranda spent almost 3 years in the Dominican R. waiting for his dominican papers. He did not have the name like Morales, Viciedo, Contreras to have a speedy process. Take Dereck Jeter away from baseball for 3 years and I garantee his production will decrease.

This year Miranda was selected the AAA MVP. I got this from his AAA team.

"Once the weather got warm, Juan Miranda (left) caught fire in Triple-A. The coaching staff picked him as their team MVP, and there were chunks of the season when he was easily Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's best hitter. His numbers in Arizona are similarly impressive. He's not nearly as good against lefties as against righties, but could make for a nice platoon.

Defensively, he's fine. Not good by any means, but not terrible. You can win games with a below-average defensive first baseman, as long as he hits, and Miranda certainly hit with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre."

Morales has killed this league. He almost broke the home run record when he hit 14 two years ago. This year he is unfired again.

Kendry Morales homered and doubled in Dominican Winter League play yesterday. "Morales is 9-for-23 and has homered in four of his six games in the Dominican Republic," reports Rotoworld. "He's trying to force the Angels to open up either first base or DH for him next year." Of course, if the Angels can't re-sign Mark Teixeira, Morales may not have to do much forcing (as the Angels have known all along).

QUOTE (Cubano @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 07:09 PM)
More teams after Viciedo:

The Boston Red Sox, Oakland Athletics, Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners, and Los Angeles Dodgers, among others, have all reportedly expressed interest.

As long as Viciedo doesn't become a star with the Indians, Twins or Red Sox, I'm okay if he slips out of KW's grasp. The Indians are really desperate too, after Marte went down (who hasn't hit anyways)...unless they went to move Peralta over and keep him there.

I wonder if there's any "smoke" to all those Konerko to Anaheim rumors...? We'll see. Moreno has a ton of money, but even he knows you have to mix in a Kendrick and Morales here and there to keep the payroll down somewhat, as well as keeping the organization from becoming too stagnant/veteran-laden, like our 2006 team I think.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 12:58 AM)
those are some prison unis

This uniform is ugly. The visitor uniforms are prettier. The problem is with the orange they chose for last year. Usually, orange is not that bad, but this one is horrible.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
I think you would appreciate even more the 2nd and 3rd chances they gave to El Gran Titan de Bronze to get his act together.

Another thing I found funny...in the new James Bond movie, there's a Bolivian secret service agent being played by a Ukrainian actress, Olga Kurylenko. How the director expects us to believe someone who's half-Bolivian (in the movie) and grew up in Bolivia would speak English with a pronounced Russian English is beyond me (the explanation is that the mother was Russian, the father Bolivian and part of the military junta). In fact, I think her few ventures into Spanish were better than her English pronunciation. I guess they couldn't find any Hispanic actresses!

There are a lot of spanish actresses around as you know. Penelope Cruz, Paz Vega, Salma Hayak, Maribel Verdu, Cameron Diaz, etc.

http://worldfilm.about.com/od/actressespho...-Photo-Gallery/

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
Trib article seems to indicate that this guy is a bit of a slacker.

My guess... they got scooped by Cowley, so they had to try and come up with something suggesting they were clued in on Viciedo.

If the guy can hit like they suggest, I want him on our team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Good. I hope the media who probably hasnt seen him play even once lowers his value so we can sign him for cheaper.

Could be good. Just need to keep in mind, he's a project. Can they get him to give the effort necessary to succeed? Sometimes people like that are just not capable of doing so. Other times, they "figure it out". If he can be had for cheap, then heck, give him a shot. Just don't think that his talent will necessarily translate to results, when it seems he has a rep for dogging it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
Could be good. Just need to keep in mind, he's a project. Can they get him to give the effort necessary to succeed? Sometimes people like that are just not capable of doing so. Other times, they "figure it out". If he can be had for cheap, then heck, give him a shot. Just don't think that his talent will necessarily translate to results, when it seems he has a rep for dogging it.

Yeah, but where did that rep come from? I bet anyone that 99 percent of the writers who are writing those sentiments havent seen the kid play and probably dont even know what number he wears. People have been down on Cuban ballplayers for awhile, saying they are undisciplined, do not want to learn, lazy, etc. I will say from watching Alexei last season that alot of these people are incredibly stupid for writing what they do. Even when Lexy defected, people were talking about how his talent wouldnt translate and they chastised Torres for saying he was MLB ready right away.

Here is one exerpt I found on Alexei

But a National League scout who watched Ramirez play for Cuba in an international game was skeptical of his readiness.

"I saw two shortstops, but he wasn't one of them," the scout said. "He played the outfield, and he's a good athlete. He can really use his legs. But he's got to improve and make adjustments. He was chasing a lot of breaking pitches. He didn't show me a strong arm in center.

"Seattle did a great job scouting (fellow Cuban defector) Yuniesky Betancourt. They did their homework on him. Ramirez is athletic, no doubt. I'd just like to have seen him show more baseball skills to believe (in) him.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Yeah, but where did that rep come from? I bet anyone that 99 percent of the writers who are writing those sentiments havent seen the kid play and probably dont even know what number he wears. People have been down on Cuban ballplayers for awhile, saying they are undisciplined, do not want to learn, lazy, etc. I will say from watching Alexei last season that alot of these people are incredibly stupid for writing what they do. Even when Lexy defected, people were talking about how his talent wouldnt translate and they chastised Torres for saying he was MLB ready right away.

I sent an email to one of the guys who ripped him a little bit. The guy supposedly is the Peter Gammons of Cuban baseball. The one thing I have a problem with is the assumption a 19 year old is ready to go really based on Ramirez who is 26. I don't believe any Cuban defector has had much of an offensive impact his first year in the US other than Ramirez, and this kid is only 19.

I especially liked Bureau's post

Please everyone, lets not mistake a player who's MLB FOP Score (Future Overall Projection) matches Omar Infante with a player like Kosuke Fukudome. Fukudome may not hit like crazy in his first season (a transitional season), but to expect less than .300-.390-450 with extremely, extremely solid defense in RF from Fukudome for years 2-4 of the contract would be a mistake. Fukudome is a legitimate ballplayer. Ramirez does have some potential, he does. But he is not a 'young' 22 years old. His body is maxed out and his OFP matches Omar Infante. Can Ramirez be an integral part & nice utility player on a good AL team? Definitely. Is he Alfonso Soriano? Simply put: Not at all. Nice utility players are a good thing to have though. Don't put 'all of your eggs in one basket though' and expect perennial All-Star stuff. I simply work in Pro-Scouting in the new player development department and am not in the front office to hear decisions, etc. But, as a "fan" & helping to give some fans an "intelligent direction" - be happy that you have a nice utility-type - not a future All-Star. I'm not trying to 'sour' this, but corral expectations - I know you're thirsty for a nice move - but make sure to put all transactions into perspective. A player who can help spell at 2B/RF/CF is a nice thing to have. But to think that Ramirez is a player near the talent of Fukudome is a reckless baseball perspective.

I figured when Hunter went to Anaheim that this would be who we ended up with. Thanks for the scouting info BE, I was under the impression Ramirez was a much higher level player than he is in reality. But my opinion is if in the present day salary structure, if he gives us one year as a decent starter, he is a bargain. Hell a guy with Rowands numbers just got 12 mil a year, and we get 4 years of Alexei for less than half of that.

I am pretty happy with my statement!

Another gem of a quote from last year's thread...

"Fukudome has an OFP of a well-above average MLB player. Ramirez is a fringe-avg. player. Position Players (not pitchers) do not get 48 M and another get 4+ M for no good reason fellas. Ramirez is a known quantity. All 30 MLB teams have seen him play and have the report above in on him. You don't "steal" a player for 4+ M when all teams have their reports on the player turned in."

Oops.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
Here is everyone's reaction to Alexei's signing for laughs BTW

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...62383&st=90

Wow! This is refreshing. I did not read the Julio Lugo comparison here.

Thanks!

When el Duque defected, Felipe Alou, then the Giants manager said:

"el Duque is nothing to be crazy about"

I love all these baseball minds and reporters running their mouths even when they have not seen the guy play. Let's wait when he jumps in the field. Your performance in the field will dictate everything. Some accept the challenge and perform. Others never live to their high expectations.