Sox interested in Cuban 3rd Sacker

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very, very good news. This sounds like a Carlos Quentin type addition, adding a young slugger the sox can build around. The sox would just need to be close to the other offers, with Alexei signed for 3 more years. The impact of Jose shouldn't be understated either, with his mentor/ elder statesmen role to Alexei and potentially this kid. Though Jose is getting up in years, and due back by the end of the year, I could see him being moved to the bullpen and resigned to a decent deal. That could add an extra year or two to his career.

Just saw this in the ST. Very intriguing. I wonder if a kid that young can be MLB ready, but he appears to have solid experience, and similar concerns about Alexei proved missplaced.

Also, its interesting to note that despite all of the bad blood between the Sox front office and Scott Boras, they appear to have solid relationships with certain other top agents, particularly Torres and Arn Tellem. Hopefully, Torres can steer this kid to the Sox.

The scouting reports I have read have been all over the place for this guy. Some say at 19 he's already lost a lot defensively and is a 1b/DH at best with a Livan Hernandez body in the making. Some say he could even play SS in a pinch and can pitch. We will see. If he's only 19, I think its a longshot he makes any impact in Chicago for a while, but the White Sox may see this as an extension of their draft. Considering they ranked 23rd in MLB in handing out bonuses, maybe they feel this is a good gamble. They won't get him as cheaply as they got Alexei, ironically because of Alexei's success.

Give me all the Cubans you got.What Cubans that have made it over here have failed?I know there isnt alot to judge on but Iam pretty convinced they know how to play baseball and get everything they have out of their natural ability better than most American born players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
The scouting reports I have read have been all over the place for this guy. Some say at 19 he's already lost a lot defensively and is a 1b/DH at best with a Livan Hernandez body in the making. Some say he could even play SS in a pinch and can pitch. We will see. If he's only 19, I think its a longshot he makes any impact in Chicago for a while, but the White Sox may see this as an extension of their draft. Considering they ranked 23rd in MLB in handing out bonuses, maybe they feel this is a good gamble. They won't get him as cheaply as they got Alexei, ironically because of Alexei's success.

All I know about this kid is what his agent said about him in the article. But, if he is in fact a top priority in Kenny's eyes, well I'm a believer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:43 AM)
I believe there is a poster here who could be helpful in this situation.

Yes I was thinking the same thing.

Tex chime in whenever you want good buddy.

:)

Viciedo, born in March 1989, is listed at 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, but reports are that he was bigger than that last year at the World Junior Championship in Mexico. Viciedo has excellent power and hitting ability, however, with one scout comparing him to Giants prospect Angel Villalona. He slugged over .500 two of the last three seasons in Cuba’s Serie Nacional, its top-level league, hitting 14 homers in 2005-2006—as a 16-year-old—in his best season.

"His body could go the same route as Livan Hernandez, and when I saw him in Mexico, he wasn’t very good at third base anymore," one international scouting director said. "But he can really hit; in fact, I think he’s probably a better hitter than Villalona."

Villolona received a $2.1 million bonus from the Giants in 2006 and is currently playing for low Class A Augusta.

Another scout who had seen Viciedo was less enthused about him as a player, pegging him as a first baseman-only hitter with a bad body. "You know everybody liked Kendry Morales," the scout said, referring to the Angels’ Cuban DH/first baseman, "and he had some other tools. But his body’s gone south and he’s pretty much just a DH. So I think it’s premature to get too excited about this guy."

And here's another

Standing 6-2 and weighing 202 pounds, Viciedo is known as a powerful batter and a versatile defender, capable of playing shortstop, third base and outfield, and he even can pitch. His fastball has been clocked at more than 90 mph, but he said his pitching days are over.

Villalona hit .263 in the Sally League with 16 homers this year as a 17 year old. He was ranked the 33rd best prospect in MLB. Viciedo almost seems like Miguel Cabrera. Really starting to struggle on defense, getting heavier, but can hit.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
I would very much like to see this done. I am hoping someone can find some scouting reports or videos of him. Where's cubano (that's his name, right?) when we need him?

Cubano was on this a while ago

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...68203&st=15

Post #21, Caulfield breaks it down

And Cubano brought it up before that as well

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)
Give me all the Cubans you got.What Cubans that have made it over here have failed?I know there isnt alot to judge on but Iam pretty convinced they know how to play baseball and get everything they have out of their natural ability better than most American born players.

I'm with you. I love the way the Cuban players approach the game.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)

Here's a list of Cubans from 2005 from baseball-fever. In fact, Cubano may have made the list. There aren't many impact players on it.

Cuban Players in MLB or Minor Leagues

Danys Baez Pitcher Devil Rays

Livan Hernandez Pitcher Nationals

Orlando Hernandez Pitcher White Sox

Jose Contreras Pitcher White Sox

Alain Soler Pitcher Mets

Yuniesky Betancourt SS/2B Mariners

Kendry Morales 1B/3B/Outfielder Angels

Brayan Pena C Braves

Michel Hernandez C Cardinals

Ariel Prieto Pitcher Marlins

Jorge Toca 1b White sox

Michael Tejera Pitcher Rangers

Juan Diaz 1B Cardinals

Vladimir Nunez Pitcher Indians

Raul Valdez Pitcher Cubs

Alex Sanchez Outfielder Giants

Eddy Oropeza Pitcher Orioles

Juan Muniz Outfielder Marlins

Yobal Duenas 2B/3B Yankees

Arian Cruz Pitcher Reds

Hansel Izquierdo Pitcher Pirates

Maikel Jova Outfielder Blue Jays

Joel Perez Outfielder Yankees

Maique Quintero Pitcher Nationals

Gary Galvez Pitcher Red Sox

Yunel Escobar SS/3B Braves

Saydel Beltran Pitcher Yankees

Mael Rodriguez Pitcher Diamondbacks

Jose Cordero Pitcher Twins

Rafael Galvizo Pitcher Marlins

Roberto Sotolongo Pitcher Cubs

Miguel Perez Pitcher Mets

William Plaza Catcher Yankees

In other countries waiting legal papers and holding tryouts:

Dominican Republic

Francisley Bueno Pitcher

Osbeck Castillo Pitcher

Juan Miguel Miranda Outfielder

Ayalen Ortiz Outfielder

Donell Linares Infielder

Costa Rica/Nicaragua

Michel Abreu 1B

Barbaro Canizares Outfielder/1B/C

Mikel Neninger Pitcher

Yosandry Ibanez Pitcher

Amaury Sanit Pitcher

USA

Amaury Casanas Outfielder

Hassan Pena Pitcher

Reinier Bermudez Pitcher

Obviously, both Livan and El Duque, Escobar with the Braves, Contreras, have made big impacts. Betancourt has been decent not a whirlwind. More misses than hits from that 2005 list.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
Alexei is not on the list so the list needs to be reviewed for others that might be missing.It looks like a list of minor leaguers who were probably projected to be just that.

According to Cubanball.com everyone who has played in MLB since 2005 is on that list except for the guys that made their debuts in 2008;

Alexei Ramírez

Alberto Castillo

Yoslan Herrera

Francisley Bueno

Juan Miranda

The post was in reference to the post that inferred almost every Cuban player is successful in the US. It isn't true. Ramirez is more the exception than the rule. Its not to rule this other kid out, I have never seen him, but the opinions of those who have seem pretty mixed, which isn't all that unusual for a 19 year old. It would really be a longshot he makes a MLB impact in 2009.

Edited by Dick Allen

DA ,Kenny has brought two Cubans to our roster.If he chooses to pick this other guy up I would be pretty damn confident that he will produce.I dont care about the other guys that other teams signed.

Iam not trying to come off like Iam saying it is your birthright that you will be good cause your Cuban.But Iam saying that I love the way they play the game.I watched the Cuban national team play in the World baseball classic and I envyed the way they played ball.I like my chances with Cuban baseball players because of their style and they way they were taught the game.

IN. A. HEARTBEAT!!!!!

Tell ya what...right now I'm not really looking at building this team to be a serious WS contender the upcoming year...but for the next few years after that with guys like Beckham, The Danks', Q, Lexi and hopefully having this kid in the mix. Will we be competitive next year...sure. But a signing like this could go a long way making the Sox SERIOUS contenders in a few years.

Go get him Kenny!

I think we need to take a step back and temper our enthusiasm a LITTLE bit.

Sure, KW has a really good string going again with his moves, but eventually the string is going to be broken. That said, taking more Cuban players means 1) we're taking pure "baseball players" and not athletes masquerading as baseball players and 2) we're building up our depth chart and our minor league system is becoming at least semi-respectable again.

Also, I would be much more willing to give someone like this kid a shot (in 2010 or 2011) than holding firm to the belief that Juan Uribe's going to be the key to us getting to another WS playing 3B for the Sox. It's one of those high reward/low risk moves...although, as mentioned, Alexei's success and the contract KW signed him to (highway robbery it seems now) is going to make all those scouts sitting around with eggs on their faces really overcompensate/overreact and perhaps rate this kid too highly and push their teams to sign him for fear of missing out.

One thing, after reading that article which does get one a little bit excited...I wonder if the relationship between KW and Torres has reached the point where they will give the Sox a final chance to pony up more money if another team comes up with a significantly more attractive offer? It could be a lot of talk, but it APPEARS as if there is a lot of mutual interest on both sides, and "comfortability" is definitely a concern for placing this kid in the right big league situation and market.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
I would very much like to see this done. I am hoping someone can find some scouting reports or videos of him. Where's cubano (that's his name, right?) when we need him?

I saw the news in a cuban forum. I came to let you guys know. You guys are on top of the ball. Ha, ha, ha.