Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
Oh boy, this board is gonna be slammed the next few days.

We will have one signing before the week is over for sure. And another trade before thanksgiving.

Just a hunch? I really believe we'll trade for Wily and it wouldn't shock me if we blow other teams out of the water and sign Hudson.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
No one thinks Swisher is awesome anymore.

To be honest, I'll be surprised if Swish hits above .250 again.

That's not to say he won't have value, because he'll still post a few +.800 OPS's if he can keep the power, but he won't be as valuable as he was.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
OK, this is a basic, down and dirty quick stat, but an OPS+ of 100 is an average hitter, league and ball park adjusted, with ever number above or below 100 basicaly meaning the player is a percentage point better than average.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/swishni01.shtml

05-07 Swisher's OPS + was 111.25, including his 92 from 08, meaning he was 11.25% better than an average player

http://www.baseball-reference.com/u/uribeju01.shtml

over the same years Uribe's OPS was 77, 23% below average. You can make the argument that Swisher was a 34% better player over those years, and that's including 08.

What does that mean? That Swisher is a 34% better hitter than Uribe? He should be. Uribe is a fringe starting SS while Swisher is supposed to be a corner OF/1B.

I don't care what anyone says, Nick Swisher had one year that is the type of year you want from a corner OF/1B. Everything else was sub-par.

BTW, Scott Boras must be pissed right now. This basically takes the Yankees out of the running for Texeira. And by not spending that money, they will make a huge offer to CC.

That's really why this deal got done. I really doubt the Yankees think all that much of Swish, but for the price, how could they not do it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Just a hunch? I really believe we'll trade for Wily and it wouldn't shock me if we blow other teams out of the water and sign Hudson.

Would you rather sign Hudson and give up draft picks, or give up Jenks in a deal for Beltran?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)

Not a hunch at all, from what I heard from an ok source, there has been an unusual number of "pow wow" sessions internally with the Sox the last few days.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:37 PM)
I'm only trying to say that Swisher wasn't as awesome as some people make him out to be. Some people say the Sox got fleeced and I don't thinnk they did. You mentioned that Swisher's OPS was 11% better than average, which is kind of what I was saying, he's average. You just presented it better.

well, that's with a 92 thrown in there. If you take 06 and 07 his OPS + was 126, with a good OBP which the Sox sorely need

The reason I liked Swisher a lot was his OBP and his quality ABs. The Sox need to address that with the moving of Swisher. Like I said, I trust KW, I will judge him at the end of the offseason

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
BTW, Scott Boras must be pissed right now. This basically takes the Yankees out of the running for Texeira. And by not spending that money, they will make a huge offer to CC.

That's really why this deal got done. I really doubt the Yankees think all that much of Swish, but for the price, how could they not do it.

My guess is, they try to sign both Sabathia and either Burnett or Lowe from here.

Swish's a decent enough defender in CF anyway, if the Yanks decide to use him there. But he gives them options, which they need desperately in the OF.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
Bulls***....OC filled a major hole (albeit he didn't fit in as planned) and is going to get the Sox additional compensation.

uh...so how is that different from what I said?

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)

Eh, Swish can play in the OF too... it's not like they won't have an opening with Abreu going Abye bye.

However, I think it's that CC Sabathia standing offer to beat any other offer that might keep Teixeira from going to the Yanks.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
Yeah, but John Danks came in that one too, so no harm no foul.

oh i wasnt complaining about the deal....just another example of KW lovin the AFL

so where does betemit play next year? I actually think if he can play even average D at 2b, hes pretty damn valuable there if he plays everyday...i would really love if he could play SS and alexei in CF, but i know most really want alexei at SS....i guess it also depends on what we do in FA...

addressing the economy issue...i dont think this is a salary dump...i think the money will be used elsewhere...Jerry R has always had a ton of money, but he rarely spends his own money on the team, he usually spends a % of the revenue that comes in on the team...now maybe he projects that the bum economy will drive attendance and sales down, and with good reason, but id guess at least for this year we wont cut much salary...i think the money we saved on swish will be spent elsewhere

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Bulls***....OC filled a major hole (albeit he didn't fit in as planned) and is going to get the Sox additional compensation.

DAllen summed up my point perfectly...KW traded 4 quality trade chips that resulted in not a single player likely starting for the 2009 season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
Give me Beltran for a closer with a K ratio on a horrible decline.

Ok so the Sox do that.

Do they then turn 2B over to a Getz/Nix platoon, and either

A - Give the closer's job to Thornton

B - Go out and sign a FA closer.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
Ok so the Sox do that.

Do they then turn 2B over to a Getz/Nix platoon, and either

A - Give the closer's job to Thornton

B - Go out and sign a FA closer.

Thornton would make a solid closer. They could sign Grudz for cheap to play 2B.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
DAllen summed up my point perfectly...KW traded 4 quality trade chips that resulted in not a single player likely starting for the 2009 season.

So would you have rathered kept Garland for 2008, and left Uribe to be the starting SS (and then who would have played 2B from opening day)?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
So would you have rathered kept Garland for 2008, and left Uribe to be the starting SS (and then who would have played 2B from opening day)?

No, Garland was getting traded all along. It's disappointing that the person we got for him won't be around in 2009. I don't think any of this would have thought that would be the case around this team last year.