Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll update this when i hear anything interesting.

From the Conference call

KW likens Marquez to Garland

Sees Betemit as utility/insurance to Josh Fields

Sees Nunez in the bullpen

Attributes Nick’s struggles to being unlucky, He refers to babip. Says that Swish changed his mechanics (Walker?)leading to a mental breakdown.

Uribe is gone.

Crede is gone.

KW doesn't want background noise on his conference call Biatch!

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
Out of players with at least 250 PA's, Swisher outslugged only Michael Bourn on the road. Quentin led the AL, but was 8th in the MLB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...&qual=false

The Swisher apologists don't care. They blame the White Sox for his struggles. Why did the play him in CF that's what screwed him up some say? Well, in 2007 he played more games in CF than any other position.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
The Swisher apologists don't care. They blame the White Sox for his struggles. Why did the play him in CF that's what screwed him up some say? Well, in 2007 he played more games in CF than any other position.

Or they'll blame the abnormally low .249 BABIP he had last year which still resulted in a .743 OPS. That's okay though, keep thinking what you want.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
Swisher cannot be the Yankees everyday firstbaseman. If he really is and I was one of the people who bought the 850,000 suites or the 2500 a game seats, I'd tell Hank and Hal they have some explaining to do.

Don't worry...the Yankees have not yet begun to spend. They are lopping what, $90 million off their payroll this year already, let alone the new ballpark appearing?

They will fill each and every one of their needs. Swisher may well be their everyday 1b, but he may also wind up in the same role he had with the Sox if the Yanks sign Tex. Or he may be their everyday 1b if the Yankees sign Manny. And so on.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
Or they'll blame the abnormally low .249 BABIP he had last year which still resulted in a .743 OPS. That's okay though, keep thinking what you want.

I love the unlucky argument. The guy struck out how many times? So unlucky. I watched most of the games. I didn't find anything unusual about his luck. Guys that aren't good hitters have low BABIP.

I've never liked Swisher, anyways. His clubhouse antics coupled with limited offensive production made him irrelevant in my mind. I know in the chat we collectively believed he was off some performance enhancing drug from last season to this one. And yes, I know there was an article posted several weeks ago suggesting Swisher was ridiculously unlucky when his BABIP, among other statistics which escape me, were taken into consideration. Too bad we couldn't sell the Yankees on this.

For us to trade him now, for basically nothing of value, really says alot. I'm sure his attitude was one issue, as others have discussed in this thread. But when you consider his meager salary over the duration of the contract, and the looming FA of our slow footed trio of Konerko/Thome/Dye, I'm surprised we couldn't give Swisher another season.

There's no question this package is terrible, though. I'd probably be more upset if I didn't dislike Swisher so much.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
I love the unlucky argument. The guy struck out how many times? So unlucky. I watched most of the games. I didn't find anything unusual about his luck. Guys that aren't good hitters have low BABIP.

One Down year! One! Have you even paid attention to Swisher other then what you saw last year? Last year was so statistically abnormal that it be attributed to bad luck. Nonthing prior to last year ever suggested that Swisher's as bad as last year implied. Swisher, is a good hitter, his disipline is an asset. just becuase you don't like what you see doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)

That explains why his BABIP was significantly lower than it ever was in his career, right?

Also: Juan Uribe had a .287 BABIP last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
Swisher cannot be the Yankees everyday firstbaseman. If he really is and I was one of the people who bought the 850,000 suites or the 2500 a game seats, I'd tell Hank and Hal they have some explaining to do.

Here are the two key things Brian Cashman said today about Nick Swisher:

“We acquired him for the purpose of plugging him into the lineup on an everyday basis.”

Then a few minutes later:

“He’s at average at best in center field and it’s as simple as that. He’s a guy who can give us plus defense at the corners and at first base and we could play him in center field if we chose to do that. But we’d be looking for a different type of profile for that position, quite frankly. … Center field would be more of an insurance policy for us.”

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:16 PM)
One Down year! One! Have you even paid attention to Swisher other then what you saw last year? Last year was so statistically abnormal that it be attributed to bad luck. Nonthing prior to last year ever suggested that Swisher's as bad as last year implied. Swisher, is a good hitter, his disipline is an asset. just becuase you don't like what you see doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

He's a .244 career hitter with a strikeout in less than every 4 AB. Maybe you like guys who bat 7th and the best thing they will give you is a walk in front of the teams 2 weakest hitters. I aim higher.

I've started to calm down about this trade. What I'm seeing it as is very similar to the Carlos Lee trade. We may have gotten some useful parts out of it, which I think we did, but more importantly with Crede, Uribe and Swish gone KW has a lot more room for FA. I think you can expect the Cuban kid, another INF and an SP through FA.

We'll probably still trade for Tavares though. :huh

This is one step in Williams Guillen proofing his lineup. If Swisher remained here Guillen was going continue plugging him in CF; regardless of how he fared defensively. Find a CF for CF, not some retread OF who is past his prime or a AAAA OF who's only asset is speed -- whenever it is he gets on base.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Uribe hit the ball better than Swisher. Do you not agree?

Not really, unless you are saying Uribe had a higher batting average than Swisher which is a fact, not an opinion. As a whole, Swisher was a more effective player than Uribe last year.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
I've started to calm down about this trade. What I'm seeing it as is very similar to the Carlos Lee trade. We may have gotten some useful parts out of it, which I think we did, but more importantly with Crede, Uribe and Swish gone KW has a lot more room for FA. I think you can expect the Cuban kid, another INF and an SP through FA.

We'll probably still trade for Tavares though. :huh

For any trade to be compared to the Carlos Lee deal proves it was terrible.

I wouldn't expect a starting pitcher through FA, nor would I want one. We're better off holding on Vazquez and plugging Richard into the lineup.

You're going to be disappointed if you believe all the money from Crede/Uribe/Swishers departure will be used for FA. Does anyone know how much our payroll is increasing over last season? A significant portion of that money may go towards the raises of players currently on the ballclub.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:30 PM)
Not really, unless you are saying Uribe had a higher batting average than Swisher which is a fact, not an opinion. As a whole, Swisher was a more effective player than Uribe last year.

Swisher's .595 road OPS was stellar. I can't understand why the White Sox would want to get out of the $22 million he's owed the next 3 years.