Cabrera offered arbitration

bighurt4life

Assuming Kenny doesnt sign the likes of Hudson or Furcal which it doesnt look like he will...

Go ahead and play Cabrera if he accepts for a few reasons.

1- He can help bridge the gap to Beckham or at least buy some time to help the Sox get a feel for Lillibridge and Getz.

2- We know he can bat lead off or 2nd in the order. Getz and Lillibridge are big question marks. A potential top of the order of some combination of Getz/ Lilli, Owens/ Wise is a very scary thought considering our #1 and #2 hitters would be learning the ALC pitchers together while batting ahead of our best hitter in Carlos. At least OC gives us a proven #2 hitter and that would leave only the lead off spot open to one of the youngsters instead of two.

3- Should one of the youngsters show they are ready or the Sox fall out of contention they can use Cabrera as trade bait at the deadline for a minor leaguer or two that would be closer to being ready than the two spects we get as compensation in the draft.

I really dont like OC but it's not like he wont help the team either so if he accepts it would be fine with me. Plus having two youngsters in Getz and Fields playing the same infiled could be scary as well.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thescoreboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18935

I couldn't find the result of the grievance, but it looks like the Padres had to pay 1/4th of his salary as "severance," so the White Sox theoretically could lose $2.5 million if they went that route. Of course, they'd be much better off holding onto Cabrera....he could get something much better than Jon Adkins in return, that only happened because all the clubs thought that the Type A/B compensation system was going out the window that offseason (didn't happen) and some teams got burned, like the White Sox. Of course, the Sox had no desire to hold onto Durham, and they saved money on Durham's contract while trying out Willie Harris there over the final months of the season.

Yep. It could be risky for Cabrera to accept arbitration. More on Todd Walker:

They do have some room to stand on. If an arbitration contract was a guaranteed contract we wouldn't be having this discussion. The fact is, it's not. If it's not guaranteed, that means that they have the right to cut him and retain a portion of the contract while paying the player his due. If this truly is an issue, then the MLBPA (Major League Baseball Players Association) is doing their part to stick up for one of their members, but they are also going to be looking at the arbitration contract language. Walker has now signed a minor league deal with Oakland

SignonSanDiego.com Story

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
http://www.thescoreboards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18935

I couldn't find the result of the grievance, but it looks like the Padres had to pay 1/4th of his salary as "severance," so the White Sox theoretically could lose $2.5 million if they went that route. Of course, they'd be much better off holding onto Cabrera....he could get something much better than Jon Adkins in return, that only happened because all the clubs thought that the Type A/B compensation system was going out the window that offseason (didn't happen) and some teams got burned, like the White Sox. Of course, the Sox had no desire to hold onto Durham, and they saved money on Durham's contract while trying out Willie Harris there over the final months of the season.

Walker was released during spring training when he was really struggling. He then signed a minor league contract with Oakland and was released a couple months later. The Padres would be within their rights to release him if they felt his skills had diminished. His release by Oakland probably confirmed that. I think that's probably why it went away. So to release OC during spring training, he's going to have to show a loss of skill, and probably whoever picks him up will have to verify that loss is some way. IF the Sox released him and he signed a minor league contract somewhere else or even something for the minimum and he wound up doing what he's been doing the last several years at the major league level, the Sox would probably wind up having to pay him at least what he was out by the release. Unless OC simply has lost it, you are probably better off eating half the contract and giving him to someone else. The release has to be a baseball decision, not a financial one.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
Walker was released during spring training when he was really struggling. He then signed a minor league contract with Oakland and was released a couple months later. The Padres would be within their rights to release him if they felt his skills had diminished. His release by Oakland probably confirmed that. I think that's probably why it went away. So to release OC during spring training, he's going to have to show a loss of skill, and probably whoever picks him up will have to verify that loss is some way. IF the Sox released him and he signed a minor league contract somewhere else or even something for the minimum and he wound up doing what he's been doing the last several years at the major league level, the Sox would probably wind up having to pay him at least what he was out by the release. Unless OC simply has lost it, you are probably better off eating half the contract and giving him to someone else. The release has to be a baseball decision, not a financial one.

OC has value maybe not 9 million this year. With arbitration I believe it is based on 08 salary and stats. THerefore from the sox he would get arb at about the same figures.. SOmeone mentioned it is not guaranteed so we could cut him for just cause.. Last year OC did contribute to the sox's success. We now can't trade him unless we can come to terms with him say he accepted 9.2 million we then could trade OC anytime we wished. Even giving our trading partner cash with the transaction like the angels gave us in 08. I think that his value will increase as the number of top ss like furcal have completed their 09 deals..

The deadline to accept or reject is tonight at (I'm going to guess) midnight. After reading up a little bit, the only players who are likely to accept the offer of arbitration are Darren Oliver (LAA) and Brandon Lyon (ARI). I still think there's no way OC takes this offer, at all.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
What teams still need shortstops?

Baltimore?

Detroit?

Minnesota

The Dodgers

Oakland

Anybody else?

And who's available to fill those slots?

Furcal

OCab

Wilson

I think these two teams wont have a problem filling the position from within if they cannot find a FA deal to thier liking.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
OC has value maybe not 9 million this year. With arbitration I believe it is based on 08 salary and stats. THerefore from the sox he would get arb at about the same figures.. SOmeone mentioned it is not guaranteed so we could cut him for just cause.. Last year OC did contribute to the sox's success. We now can't trade him unless we can come to terms with him say he accepted 9.2 million we then could trade OC anytime we wished. Even giving our trading partner cash with the transaction like the angels gave us in 08. I think that his value will increase as the number of top ss like furcal have completed their 09 deals..

I've always thought if he accepts arb he will get between $11-12 million. Shockingly, Heyman at SI put what he thought he would get at the exact same figure. He still thinks is less than 50/50 OC accepts and uses Renteria's contract as a measuring stick, but I did read where SF way overbid for Renteria, that he probably wasn't going to be able to get more than 2 years at $6 million per. I also read where the Dodgers had very little interest in OC in a Rosenthal column.

When OC was acquired KW attempted to get him to sign an extension. It would be interesting to see if it ever got to the point terms were discussed, and if they were, how high the White Sox were willing to go.

If he declines, KW should contemplate becoming a professional dodge ball player. Fukudome, Jered Wright, trading Garland for Erstad only to have the Angels ownership squash it, the Ordonez extension that was rejected, having Hawk change his mind about AJ, and this...........he'd probably rule that sport.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
I've always thought if he accepts arb he will get between $11-12 million. Shockingly, Heyman at SI put what he thought he would get at the exact same figure. He still thinks is less than 50/50 OC accepts and uses Renteria's contract as a measuring stick, but I did read where SF way overbid for Renteria, that he probably wasn't going to be able to get more than 2 years at $6 million per. I also read where the Dodgers had very little interest in OC in a Rosenthal column.

When OC was acquired KW attempted to get him to sign an extension. It would be interesting to see if it ever got to the point terms were discussed, and if they were, how high the White Sox were willing to go.

If he declines, KW should contemplate becoming a professional dodge ball player. Fukudome, Jered Wright, trading Garland for Erstad only to have the Angels ownership squash it, the Ordonez extension that was rejected, having Hawk change his mind about AJ, and this...........he'd probably rule that sport.

Don't forget NOT trading Buerhle and Dye.

We don't know what the package that "almost" ended up in us acquiring Cabrera, and if they would have tried to dump D. Willis on us in that deal, but that could have been devastating in terms of payroll flexibility and talent surrendered. Jurrgens has been very good for the Braves, and Maybin looks like a future star...look how far DET and Dombrowski have fallen in one year's time, just like the White Sox coming out of 07. I mean, they're trying to trade for Jack Wilson or Adam Everett, and the economy of Michigan appears doomed to 20% unemployment. Talk about a turnaround in the divisional alignment. Of course, Porcello will probably still be a stud, but the Tigers are trying to ditch whatever contract they can, with Sheffield and Willis stuck on their books....Magglio might be the next to go, and Carlos Guillen's getting older.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
Who knows how arbitration works? Does OC have to reject it? If he does nothing does that implicitly mean that he accepts the offer of arbitration or does he have to contact the commissioner's office and tell them that he accepts arb???

He has to ACCEPT the White Sox's offer of salary arbitration sometime in the next 75 minutes. At this point in time he's likely already gone to the White Sox with his decision, it's just yet to be reported.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)
He has to ACCEPT the White Sox's offer of salary arbitration sometime in the next 75 minutes. At this point in time he's likely already gone to the White Sox with his decision, it's just yet to be reported.

thanks for the info. I thought thats how it was but I've seen lots of reports of other players rejecting arb today and thought that maybe you had to turn the offer down

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, Orlando Cabrera will decline Chicago's offer of arbitration. Ken Williams can rest easy. Cabrera's a Type A, so the Sox will score two draft picks if he signs elsewhere. There's an extra tax of one draft pick for the team that signs him.

You all can't see it but I'm doing my happy dance right now!!