Cabrera offered arbitration

bighurt4life

QUOTE (sox1844 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
I liked it. At least it was something! Some life, some passion. Plus Balfour kept yelling F-U to Uribe, and OC was over it. Who cares if he looked like a fool. I'd rather look like a fool who goes down fighting than a fool who just stands by while his team gets destroyed.

Bingo. Gimme someone who's going to defend his teammate and not stand up for that crap!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:56 AM)
Yes. I'm being very logical. The point you are missing is he made Cabrera less attractive on the open market by offering arbitration. A typical bench player isn't worth the draft picks let alone the 8 figure salary. Then trying to intimidate or suggest he not accept the offer, and that if he did, he would be on the bench. For a team that supposedly is at its payroll threshold now, per KW, it makes zero sense to have an $11-12 million player riding pine. The greivance I believe wouldn't be so much about riding pine as much as the comments made. Trying to influence a decision and a right through scare tactics. I really don't hate KW. II just don't drink his kool-aid with every meal.

I am pretty neutral about Cabrera, but KW didn't make him less attractive on the open market. What he did was ensure the Sox benefited in some way - this being the draft picks- when OC signed with anothet team. It's just proper baseball bizness.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
I am pretty neutral about Cabrera, but KW didn't make him less attractive on the open market. What he did was ensure the Sox benefited in some way - this being the draft picks- when OC signed with anothet team. It's just proper baseball bizness.

So you are saying having it cost you a first round draft pick doesn't shrink OC's market in any way? Interesting.

Its also proper baseball business to accept arbitration if it is offered, without snide remarks about how you are destined to the bench which, if true, we all know isn't based on baseball decisions.

It looks like the Dodgers are after Jack Wilson now and he's willing to restructure his contract to get there, so the list of OC's possible suitors probably gets shorter, and the teams remaining probably are looking for bargains.

Offering arbitration was the right move. If it backfires, Cabrera can still be moved - even later in the offseason. All these teams that are saying they don't need shortstops or are "seriously considering signing Adam Everett" might start panicking when they get to spring training and see some of these guys hit.

Cabrera is still a top 15 shortstop.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
And if KW DIDN'T offer him arbitration, and he signed soemwhere else, there would be endless b****ing by the same people here about how KW should be fired for missing out on those 2 draft picks.

Whatever. No one b****es on Soxtalk. Ever.

You suck.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
Offering arbitration was the right move. If it backfires, Cabrera can still be moved - even later in the offseason. All these teams that are saying they don't need shortstops or are "seriously considering signing Adam Everett" might start panicking when they get to spring training and see some of these guys hit.

Not to mention he could also be moved during spring training when someone gets hurt.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)

He can't be traded until June 15 without his consent. The teams looking at Adam Everett aren't looking to add the salary figure Cabrera will net from arbitration. So he will go to a place where he wants, the White Sox will get no draft picks, and will have to eat salary assuming of course, he isn't as good as Chris Getz, Brent Lillibridge and (gulp) Jayson Nix, as KW claims.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
He can't be traded until June 15 without his consent. The teams looking at Adam Everett aren't looking to add the salary figure Cabrera will net from arbitration. So he will go to a place where he wants, the White Sox will get no draft picks, and will have to eat salary assuming of course, he isn't as good as Chris Getz, Brent Lillibridge and (gulp) Jayson Nix, as KW claims.

OK.... help me out here.

Is your solution to this problem?

a.) we shouldn't have offered Cabrera arbitration at all

b.) KW should have just kept his mouth shut and not said he'd ride the bench

c.) other (describe)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)

1) We signed Viciedo, Beckham and Danks....that, in and of itself, is more or less the equivalent of 3 first round draft picks, and two Top 10 draft picks in Beckham and Viciedo

2) KW and the scouting department, up until this last draft at least, have been much better at identifying undervalued but high upside players in other organizations, rather than drafting them out of HS or college

3) You add Marquez, Jimenez, Nix, Lillibridge, Nunez, Flowers, Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez, that's two more first rounders right there, and lots of upside/potential, especially from Flowers...whatever happens, the world will not end over these draft picks. I mean, we traded Ray Durham for Jon Adkins and lost a draft pick there (largely because KW and JR felt that the compensation system was going to be changed that offseason, so they would theoretically get nothing back and they also wanted to see Willie Harris at 2B, so they saved a couple of million in salary as well).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
OK.... help me out here.

Is your solution to this problem?

(a) we shouldn't have offered Cabrera arbitration at all

(B) KW should have just kept his mouth shut and not said he'd ride the bench

© other (describe)

As I stated earlier, way before arbitration had to be offered, if the White Sox didn't want Cabrera on the team, especially at the price his arbitration status will bring, they should not offer him arbitration. With the current economy, his arb figure is too much of a risk for a supplemental draft pick and a low first or high second round selection.

I also believe KW shouldn't have said what he said. Ozzie said something totally different today.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
1) We signed Viciedo, Beckham and Danks....that, in and of itself, is more or less the equivalent of 3 first round draft picks, and two Top 10 draft picks in Beckham and Viciedo

2) KW and the scouting department, up until this last draft at least, have been much better at identifying undervalued but high upside players in other organizations, rather than drafting them out of HS or college

3) You add Marquez, Jimenez, Nix, Lillibridge, Nunez, Flowers, Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez, that's two more first rounders right there, and lots of upside/potential, especially from Flowers...whatever happens, the world will not end over these draft picks. I mean, we traded Ray Durham for Jon Adkins and lost a draft pick there (largely because KW and JR felt that the compensation system was going to be changed that offseason, so they would theoretically get nothing back and they also wanted to see Willie Harris at 2B, so they saved a couple of million in salary as well).

You have made my point that offering the arbitration if you really don't want him, is way too risky for a couple of draft picks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
You have made my point that offering the arbitration if you really don't want him, is way too risky for a couple of draft picks.

I think for every post you've made criticizing KW for offering arbitration... there would be 5 posts criticizing him if we didn't and missed out on the picks.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
I think for every post you've made criticizing KW for offering arbitration... there would be 5 posts criticizing him if we didn't and missed out on the picks.

I didn't know that would influence KW's decision. Thanks for the insight. The only thing I've criticized is offering arbitration if you aren't prepared to have him come back. Obviously, its still possible he will. Ozzie doesn't seem to mind if he does.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)

Bingo.

At least that's what people have been complaining about on here at exactly this point a year or 2 ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
I didn't know that would influence KW's decision. Thanks for the insight. The only thing I've criticized is offering arbitration if you aren't prepared to have him come back. Obviously, its still possible he will. Ozzie doesn't seem to mind if he does.

Thats true, but I think the problem most people have is that he seems like he's egging OC on, rather than just being classy and hoping he denys arb. The ridiculous comments are just stupid and useless.

If you offer arbitration, the downside is you have to be prepared for the player to accept. And you certainly can't fault a guy for considering it. Obviously he had to offer, but his comments aren't helping the White Sox. Kenny is acting like a child. No way you bench OC.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
I'm happy that KW offered OC arbitration, but it shows the disconnect between OC and the organization that they seem stunned he would even think about accepting it.

Did you see Ozzie's comments, they weren't all that negative towards OC. I don't think Ozzie disliked OC as much as everyone said. I do think that he rubbed Kenny the wrong way and obviously some of the teammates.

"We saw an opportunity to acquire one of the best shortstops in the game and one of the smartest shortstops in the game. Somebody who can fit into the No. 2 spot in our lineup for 155 games,'' Chicago general manager Ken Williams said, adding the trade frees up money that could help the White Sox pull off another deal.

-KW after getting OC a year ago.

He has done nothing since to make him a back-up to the likes of Getz, Lillibridge and Nix.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
"We saw an opportunity to acquire one of the best shortstops in the game and one of the smartest shortstops in the game. Somebody who can fit into the No. 2 spot in our lineup for 155 games,'' Chicago general manager Ken Williams said, adding the trade frees up money that could help the White Sox pull off another deal.

-KW after getting OC a year ago.

He has done nothing since to make him a back-up to the likes of Getz, Lillibridge and Nix.

His play last year, with the exception of a few weeks, was not the play of 'one of the best shortstops int he game'. he didn't even take his head out of his ass and try until sometime in July, like it was too much bother for him to play in cold weather.