Cabrera offered arbitration

bighurt4life

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
From Robo-thal;

If O-Cab were to pull a stunt like this he would never play a game In a Sox uniform. He might even stand the chance of being blacklisted by a couple teams who wouldn’t stand for something like this.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Ok that's about what I thought. So if the Orioles at #5 sign Cabrera, do we get two picks tacked on at the end of the first round? Two sandwich picks?

I think the Dodgers at #17 need a shortstop... come on guys, pick up the phone, bring OC to the OC.

If the O's signed Cabrera we'd get a sandwich pick and their 2nd round pick.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
If O-Cab were to pull a stunt like this he would never play a game In a Sox uniform. He might even stand the chance of being blacklisted by a couple teams who wouldn’t stand for something like this.

Why would he be blacklisted? The White Sox just made it more unattractive for another team to sign him by offering him arbitration. If he decides to accept what is offered, there's something wrong with that? The other thing is if he takes it, the White Sox will be stuck with a guy with an 8 figure salary who they supposedly don't want. Trading him will be difficult. First off, its probably more money than anyone would offer for at least one year. Secondly, they know they would have the White Sox over a barrel.

If the White Sox truely don't want him around, offering arbitration just for a comp pick and a low first round pick or second rounder is pretty pretty silly considering the money involved. I think they did it because they are going to sign someone who will take their pick, using this as a replacement. Its a big gamble. I wouldn't have done it.

If they blacklisted every player who stuck it to a team because of money, MLB would look like a beer league.

Edited by Dick Allen

If Cabrera accepts, then I think we need to pursue a Roberts deal and have Alexei patrol CF. I think Cabrera accepting arbitration is an unlikely scenario, however.

This set up makes the Sox pretty strong up the middle, and puts Cabrera in the #2 hole where he belongs. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
I'm sure that if OC accepts arbitration we'll be able to trade him.*

*for practically nothing in return for some team taking his salary off our hands

Maybe. I really wonder if a team wants to pay him $11-12 million for one year. I read where Abreu may have to settle for 2 years at $8 million per, hence the Yankees didn't offer him arb.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Maybe. I really wonder if a team wants to pay him $11-12 million for one year. I read where Abreu may have to settle for 2 years at $8 million per, hence the Yankees didn't offer him arb.

For a 1 year deal, where there's still the possibility of getting 2 draft picks back at the end of the year if he signs a longer term deal somewhere else, yeah I think some team would make that move.

I agree it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world if he accepted. It would buy us some time before Beckham is ready to come up while providing us with some cost-certainty.

I never bought into OC being the player I read he was prior to coming here, but he still is a solid player with some welcomed competitive spunk.

So to be clear, this is who we want to make Cabrera an offer:

1. Dodgers

2. Cardinals

3. Blue Jays

4. Twins

5. Angels

And these are the teams we want to stay away:

1. Mariners

2. Orioles

3. Giants

4. Braves

5. Tigers

6. Athletics

That is, if you care about 20 or so spots in the draft order.

And I do.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
So to be clear, this is who we want to make Cabrera an offer:

1. Dodgers

2. Cardinals

3. Blue Jays

4. Twins

5. Angels

And these are the teams we want to stay away:

1. Mariners

2. Orioles

3. Giants

4. Braves

5. Tigers

6. Athletics

That is, if you care about 20 or so spots in the draft order.

And I do.

I would think the Blue Jays would want to put all their efforts into retaining Halladay, unless they auction him off in some kind of Herschel Walker-esque megatrade.

They have huge money going to Wells and Rios, and I think Rolen's pretty expensive too, especially for what they're getting out of him. They have to really hope Snider explodes this year so they can move some of the veteran dollars. Didn't show enough patience with Jayson Werth, either, or ever really find a position for him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
I would think the Blue Jays would want to put all their efforts into retaining Halladay, unless they auction him off in some kind of Herschel Walker-esque megatrade.

They have huge money going to Wells and Rios, and I think Rolen's pretty expensive too, especially for what they're getting out of him. They have to really hope Snider explodes this year so they can move some of the veteran dollars. Didn't show enough patience with Jayson Werth, either, or ever really find a position for him.

The Blue Jays aren't going to sign anyone except perhaps Burnett to an 8 figure salary. They just layed off a bunch of staff. I think the 2 most likely places for OC are the Dodgers and Oakland maybe St. Louis. The big problem with Cabrera is finding a team that would give him more than 2 years in this economic climate. He is 34. I think there's a reasonable chance he accepts arbitration. Maybe KW wants him to do just that.

Edited by Dick Allen

We'll see what numbers Renteria gets with the Giants.

Cabrera would still prefer the certainty of 2-3 years from ANYONE else, rather than swallowing his pride and coming back to Chicago and Ozzie. At his age and with the beating his takes, he has to be concerned about an injury on a one year deal precluding his ever signing another big, long-term deal.

When we see how much Abreu, Dunn, Griffey, Burrell and Rivera get, that should be another clue....along with the second tier of pitching, Wolf/Garland/Oliver Perez.

And I'm still not convinced the A's are "frontrunners" for Furcal. It seems to be a smokescreen to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)

Cabrera would still prefer the certainty of 2-3 years from ANYONE else, rather than swallowing his pride and coming back to Chicago and Ozzie. At his age and with the beating his takes, he has to be concerned about an injury on a one year deal precluding his ever signing another big, long-term deal.

When we see how much Abreu, Dunn, Griffey, Burrell and Rivera get, that should be another clue....along with the second tier of pitching, Wolf/Garland/Oliver Perez.

And I'm still not convinced the A's are "frontrunners" for Furcal. It seems to be a smokescreen to me.

Supposedly Renteria is getting 2 years around $9 million a year. Cabrera is going to have to make a quick decision. That, at least, is in the White Sox interests if they don't want him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Supposedly Renteria is getting 2 years around $9 million a year. Cabrera is going to have to make a quick decision. That, at least, is in the White Sox interests if they don't want him.

There's certainly no guarantee Cabrera would get a raise to $11-12 million.

Right now, he's considered to be option #2 on the market to Furcal, and ahead of him by some because his asking price and years aren't going to be starting at four seasons....and he has been more durable/reliable the past couple of seasons. His game isn't as predicated on speed as Furcal's, and that's a good thing for a 34 year old SS. Then again, look at how long Vizquel has held on as a serviceable major leaguer.

So I still don't see Cabrera coming back. There are about 3-5 teams that will go after him....Oakland, Dodgers, Cardinals, Twins, maybe the Angels.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)

The Renteria rumor is something on the order of 2/$18.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
You do not lose your #1 pick if it is within the top 15. If you're sitting at #16 and you sign a type A FA, you lose your pick.

Basically, go Diamondbacks, you know you want Cabrera. That Drew guy you have at SS isn't worth anything.

One question...the Mariners have an extra pick at #22 next year because they didn't sign their #1 guy last year. Anyone know what happens if they sign a type A guy?

That 22nd pick is their's no matter what, you can't lose that kind of draft pick as compensation for signing a type A free agent.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
If Uribe doesn't accept arbitration last year who plays third?

That's no what happened with Uribe. The team held a $5M team option on Juan for the '08 season, the option was declined and Uribe was re-signed at a lesser price ($4.5M).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
I could see Uribe ending up in StL, LA, Oakland, Toronto...maybe even the Twins, although I would hate and love it at the same time from a Sox fan perspective.

Hopefully Juanie aka The Lizard gets a chance to be a starting SS again somewhere this year.

The Lizard?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
F***, Cabrera's dick-head ass is probably accepting arbitration according to a 670 update.

Once people notice this I bet they get real hot.

My only hope is this was leaked to force an interested party into making a multi-year offer.