Cabrera offered arbitration

bighurt4life

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Once people notice this I bet they get real hot.

My only hope is this was leaked to force an interested party into making a multi-year offer.

You may be right about a leak.

Anyway, if we could trade him, it might work out, because now, a team that wants him only has to commit to one year at his arbitration salary.

Might I suggest: Dye, Jenks, Fields, Broadway, Lillibridge etc. to the Dodgers for Kemp and Broxton. Sign Lowe and Abreu, win the WS. I can dream.

3B - Betemit, Viceido, Beckham.

2B - Getz (who doesn't need to platoon, if he performs. His splits are nearly identical. I think he'll be excellent in the two hole)

The order:

Kemp

Getz

Abreu

Q

Jimmy

Paulie

Alexei

AJ

3B

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
The order:

Kemp

Getz

Abreu

Q

Jimmy

Paulie

Alexei

AJ

3B

correction:

Kemp

Getz

Q

Abreu

Paulie

Jimmy

Alexei

AJ

3B

This lineup has perfect right-left balance, and will wear starters and bullpens out.

He's not riding the pine. To tell ya the truth...I'd have no problem with OC coming back for one year and batting 2nd. I guess I'm just not confident with what the flipside of him leaving and what we'd trot out to 2B would be just yet.

Williams and the rest of the organization has to be absolutely furious right now. It's hard to plan your moves when you have a potential $10 million dollar salary hanging over your ballclub. He sure as hell hasn't dealt Vazquez and Swisher to free up salary for Cabrera's return.

I'd just go out and tell Cabrera (or his agent) forthright that the team doesn't want him, and if he's playing here next season he'll be on the bench. Let them decide whether or not he's bluffing.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
Williams and the rest of the organization has to be absolutely furious right now. It's hard to plan your moves when you have a potential $10 million dollar salary hanging over your ballclub. He sure as hell hasn't dealt Vazquez and Swisher to free up salary for Cabrera's return.

I'd just go out and tell Cabrera (or his agent) forthright that the team doesn't want him, and if he's playing here next season he'll be on the bench. Let them decide whether or not he's bluffing.

Couldn't he have asked beforehand?

Upon offering arbitration to him - management must have at least considered this happening... in a professional environment, you do not make a move like this and then b**** and moan when your ideal situation does not come to fruition. They saw this coming and have it in their plans... Besides, remember guys it is not 100 percent in the books yet that he has accepted arbitration.

We'll see - bottom line thou is this: KW and the rest of management have planned for him to accept. They have explored all possible options, even this one.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Good. He's a fiery guy we need. Someone with some flare who won't be afraid to tell it like it is. I want him to piss off Cowley as well.

THATS a major benefit since Cowley is such a homo.

Also, I would still keep Getz at 2B and move Alexei to CF if it was my team. Getz's contact and OBP is more valuable in the lineup than anything BA could bring. Alexei+Getz is better than Alexei and BA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)

Also, I would still keep Getz at 2B and move Alexei to CF if it was my team. Getz's contact and OBP is more valuable in the lineup than anything BA could bring. Alexei+Getz is better than Alexei and BA.

I agree. I really liked what I saw out of Getz so I want him to get a good shot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)

agreed on everything you said

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
Ok that's about what I thought. So if the Orioles at #5 sign Cabrera, do we get two picks tacked on at the end of the first round? Two sandwich picks?

I think the Dodgers at #17 need a shortstop... come on guys, pick up the phone, bring OC to the OC.

If the Dodgers lose out on Furcal, they will sign OC. You can book that.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
So if OC accepts arb., takes it and bolts next year...what kind of picks do the Sox get? Obviously not LAs anymore....would it be 2 sammy's?

The process would repeat next year.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
Jessie Rodgers just stated that on a conference call with Kenny, he asked what happens if Cabrera accepts arbitration. Kenny stated that Alexei is our SS, and one of the young guys will be our 2nd baseman. If Cabrera comes back, he will be on the bench.

If that's the case, KW should offer his resignation. Cabrera would still give this team the best chance to win and if he didn't want him on the team and didn't think he was better than Chris Getz than maybe he should think other teams won't want to pay him the $11-12 million a year he will get in arbitration and give up a draft pick. Ridiculous comments. If Chris Getz is better than Cabrera, he should have been playing against Tampa in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)

If KW sits an $11-12 million player on the bench next year out of spite because he accepted what was offered to him just for a couple of draft picks, he should be fired if he doesn't resign.

Its been reported over and over how players like Cabrera are going to be the players hurt most by the economy. If KW missed it, shame on him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
If that's the case, KW should offer his resignation. Cabrera would still give this team the best chance to win and if he didn't want him on the team and didn't think he was better than Chris Getz than maybe he should think other teams won't want to pay him the $11-12 million a year he will get in arbitration and give up a draft pick. Ridiculous comments. If Chris Getz is better than Cabrera, he should have been playing against Tampa in the playoffs.

NO, I don't read it that way at all.

It's simply KW laying down the gauntlet...saying they will NOT welcome him back, that he would no longer have a position with Ramirez moving over and that he would have to fight for playing time with the young guys. It's not unlike the situation with Favre and the Packers, on a much smaller scale, of course. KW knows that OC has too much pride to play somewhere he's not wanted (even vilified by some) and where he wouldn't just be given the starting position. This is all posturing and PR, hopefully like the comments about going into year with Marquez and either Richard or Poreda as the 4/5 starters. Do you believe that will actually happen?