Cabrera offered arbitration

bighurt4life

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get the two draft picks then the Garland-Cabrera deal is full of even more win.

Um, actually that's the only thing that could make it a decent deal. That's also assuming the Sox use those picks to get somebody worth a damn.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
Um, actually that's the only thing that could make it a decent deal. That's also assuming the Sox use those picks to get somebody worth a damn.

Garland had a crap year, and Cabrera gave us a decent contribution. It was already a deal in favor of the ChiSox.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)

Everyone besides Whitesox fans thought we got the better player in the deal, getting the draft picks just sweetened the deal a little more for us.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
Everyone besides Whitesox fans thought we got the better player in the deal, getting the draft picks just sweetened the deal a little more for us.

Garland, results-wise, is Javy Vazquez without the strikeouts but a few more wins. Now Vazquez is owed $23 million the next 2 seasons. Cabrera supposedly is better than Garland, so would you offer Cabrera a 2 year $23 million deal?

It doesn't matter who "won" the trade, both players likely will be elsewhere in 2009 and neither won the WS in 2008. As far as I'm concerned, its a wash.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
Garland, results-wise, is Javy Vazquez without the strikeouts but a few more wins. Now Vazquez is owed $23 million the next 2 seasons. Cabrera supposedly is better than Garland, so would you offer Cabrera a 2 year $23 million deal?

It doesn't matter who "won" the trade, both players likely will be elsewhere in 2009 and neither won the WS in 2008. As far as I'm concerned, its a wash.

But if you get draft picks out of it too, I think it turns to the Sox favor. Even though both teams didnt win the WS, we have a chance to add an extra piece from the draft to further rebuild our farm system.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
But if you get draft picks out of it too, I think it turns to the Sox favor. Even though both teams didnt win the WS, we have a chance to add an extra piece from the draft to further rebuild our farm system.

The draft picks will cost you a couple of million. While the Sox seem to have drafted decently the last couple of years, its no guarantee they really have. Joe Borchard was very highly thought of for several years. Kris Honel was going to be a stud. A guy like Poreda with a little funky delivery is a walking time bomb. Just look at the past several drafts, and look at the first round and sandwich picks. There are a lot more guys who don't do anything that become stars.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:57 AM)
DA, you're better than that. Williams, probably more than any other GM in the league, has had a propensity to use prospects for already signed veteran players.

As you said yourself, Borchard, for a time, was very highly thought of. Honel was going to be a stud. You are able to acquire these "assets" because of draft position.

Williams doesn't seem to have a problem dealing talent if need be.

You dont get a reward if you dont take a risk. You need to draft these guys and develop them, either for your team or trades to set up your team.

Directed towards DA; while agreeing with Tony here.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
DA, you're better than that. Williams, probably more than any other GM in the league, has had a propensity to use prospects for already signed veteran players.

As you said yourself, Borchard, for a time, was very highly thought of. Honel was going to be a stud. You are able to acquire these "assets" because of draft position.

Williams doesn't seem to have a problem dealing talent if need be.

Then maybe he can trade Broadway and McCullough for something useful. I tend to doubt it. It appears they will offer him arb. If he doesn't take it, it will be interesting to see how the draft picks pan out. Chances are, they won't.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
Then maybe he can trade Broadway and McCullough for something useful. I tend to doubt it. It appears they will offer him arb. If he doesn't take it, it will be interesting to see how the draft picks pan out. Chances are, they won't.

Really? Broadway and McCullough were joke picks, not worthy of the spot taht we took them. Yes, many prospects will fail, thats baseball, but alot will contribute in some way, especially with Kenny liking to trade them. Of course, they need to have talent still to have value, these higher picks allow the Sox to get those talented players, and with the new scouting/development people in place I expect much better drafting to help build for the future. Will it always work out? No. But I would rather have mroe draft picks, higher ones, because you increase not only the number of prospects you can trade, but also the likeliness that they will contribute on the big league team.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 12:21 AM)
Really? Broadway and McCullough were joke picks, not worthy of the spot taht we took them. Yes, many prospects will fail, thats baseball, but alot will contribute in some way, especially with Kenny liking to trade them. Of course, they need to have talent still to have value, these higher picks allow the Sox to get those talented players, and with the new scouting/development people in place I expect much better drafting to help build for the future. Will it always work out? No. But I would rather have mroe draft picks, higher ones, because you increase not only the number of prospects you can trade, but also the likeliness that they will contribute on the big league team.

That was a big mistake. We could have had Matt Garza there...the Twins outsmarted us on that one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 03:38 AM)
That was a big mistake. We could have had Matt Garza there...the Twins outsmarted us on that one.

Exactly my point, if we draft better like we are seeing now, these picks become very valuable. Instead of having to trade a Jenks or Dye package for a Garza like player you would already have him. Imagine if we had Garza, we would have so much more flexibility right now. If we can get more picks in that range and draft wisely it will benefit the team sooooo much.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 02:44 AM)
Exactly my point, if we draft better like we are seeing now, these picks become very valuable. Instead of having to trade a Jenks or Dye package for a Garza like player you would already have him. Imagine if we had Garza, we would have so much more flexibility right now. If we can get more picks in that range and draft wisely it will benefit the team sooooo much.

The point I'm making is, its not just the White Sox who miss with these picks. Every team has busts in the first few rounds. More busts than players that live up to their draft position. Its funny, the excuse that has been used for the White Sox poor farm system has been draft position. Now, if Cabrera doesn't accept arbitration the White Sox will get 2 picks, and there's a good chance they both will be lower than where they select as division champions. These picks aren't necessarily gold, but they cost more than gold, and chances are, if the White Sox are unwilling to go over slot with someone who has slipped because of contract demands, they will get someone who 5 years from now still won't be contributing much to the major league team. In 2004, the White Sox had 6 picks in the first 2 rounds. Fields, Lumdsen, Gio, Lucy, Liotta, Whistler. None have proven to be anything yet. In fact, in that 2004 draft, the only 2nd round pick to have any impact is the current AL MVP. He was picked after every White Sox selection except Liotta. So 4.5 years after that draft, only one good player in the entire league, albeit a great one, drafted in the second round.

WTF are we talking about here?? Odds of getting a good player with a samwich pick are like 10%. Odds of getting a good player w/o a samwich pick are like 0%. A samwich pick gets $1 million tops. so you draft 10 of them for $10 mil and odds are you get one good player. Sounds like a good gamble to me.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
WTF are we talking about here?? Odds of getting a good player with a samwich pick are like 10%. Odds of getting a good player w/o a samwich pick are like 0%. A samwich pick gets $1 million tops. so you draft 10 of them for $10 mil and odds are you get one good player. Sounds like a good gamble to me.

I think your better off spending that $1 million in the Dominican, or somewhere like that.