Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

TIFWIW

Javier Vazquez-S-White Sox Dec. 2 - 7:16 pm et

According to ESPN.com, the White Sox will trade Javier Vazquez and Boone Logan to the Braves for Jo-Jo Reyes, Brent Lillibridge and a prospect.

Ken Rosenthal agrees that the deal has been agreed to, but he doesn't think Reyes is involved. On the other hand, he believes young slugger Tyler Flowers might be going to Chicago in the trade. It sounds like it will be a good deal for the Braves, though there's really no need for Logan to be involved. They already have seven relievers better than him.

Source: ESPN.com

Related: Boone Logan, Jo-Jo Reyes, Brent Lillibridge

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to what has happened with Lillibridge. Could he be a guy who benefited from PEDS? That is the one overall concern I have of hiim since his numbers have significantly declined. I'm also curioius as to what happened to his walk rate, which took a significant drop from his younger years (which is pretty rare to see). Overall he had a horrendous 2008 season which saw his stock plummet.

Flowers on the other hand has hit everywhere he's been and continues to show better power numbers. He also has a tremendous walk rate for a player his age. I think your talking about a guy who could be a .270-.285 hitter with a .380+ OBP and 25-35 HR's from the catching position (which basically puts him at an all star type level).

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
Very interesting. Could we possibly be prepared to move Alexei to CF?

2010 scenario:

3B Viciedo

SS Lillibridge

2B Beckham

1B Fields

CF Ramirez

RF Quentin

LF Shelby?

C Flowers

Lillibridge is a more likely candidate for CF as that was his college position.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)

2010 scenario:

3B Viciedo

SS Lillibridge

2B Beckham

1B Fields

CF Ramirez

RF Quentin

LF Shelby?

C Flowers

thats what i thought too....seems we have alot of middle IF types in getz, lillibridge, nix, beckham, betemit...personally i think his D at SS would be suspect, and i wouldn't mind seeing him in CF

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
Lillibridge is a more likely candidate for CF as that was his college position.

Yeah, I love the talent the team has now because it's so interchangeable. Viciedo could play OF, 3B, and probably 1B. Fields can play 3B/1B and maybe some OF. Lillibridge could play SS/2B/CF, as can Alexei. Carlos can play LF/RF.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
Yeah, I love the talent the team has now because it's so interchangeable. Viciedo could play OF, 3B, and probably 1B. Fields can play 3B/1B and maybe some OF. Lillibridge could play SS/2B/CF, as can Alexei. Carlos can play LF/RF.

You forgot to say Fields can play 3B/1B/LF!

Charlie Morton....potentially the 3rd player involved:

Here's the scouting report per Braves-Nation.com

Charlie Morton who hails from Flemington, New Jersey was drafted straight out of high school in the 3rd round (95th overall) of the Braves fruitful 2002 Amateur Draft. A draft in which included Jeff Francoeur, Brian McCann, and Chuck James. Charlie Morton recently had his contract purchased by the Braves on November 20th to include him on the 40-man roster and to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. As always let's delve into his minor league track record.

Let me preface this by saying that Charlie Morton's minor league statistics are not outstanding by any means. But sometimes when dealing with statistics, you have to pay attention and dig a little deeper. I've been following Morton on a side level for a little while and keeping up with his game logs. But I'll go through the statistics level to level so you know the whole story.

Morton began his professional career for the Gulf Coast League Braves in 2002 at the age of 18 starting five games, appearing in 11 total. He was 1-7 with a 4.54 ERA with a 1.69 WHIP and allowing an astounding 6.81 BB/9 but also posted a 7.26 K/9 ratio. Nonetheless he moved up to Danville in 2003 where it was pretty much the same story. Appearing in 14 games, starting 13 he posted a 2-5 record with an 4.67 ERA. His BB/9 came down to 4.17 and his K/9 went up to 7.67. But you can't walk that many batters per nine or you're going to get the hook early.

With these early struggles Morton spent 2004-2005 in Rome (Low-A). In the first year, same story, (7-9, 4.82 ERA, 1.77 WHIP, 5.20 BB/9, 7.80 K/9). In the second year he brought his BB/9 down 4.48 and WHIP down to 1.49. At this point he seemed destined to be a minor league lifer at best.

Told you it wasn't pretty, but I digress. In 2006 Morton started in Myrtle Beach and all of his numbers went up again to 4.86 BB/9 and 6.75 K/9 and a 1.70 WHIP. But he bumped up to AA-Mississippi in 2007.

Now here is where it gets interesting and the higher ups began to take notice. This is where paying close attention to statistics pays off. In April Morton compiled a 1.92 WHIP, July it was 1.56, and in August it came down to 1.31. To put that last number in perspective, Smoltz usually hovers around a 1.20 WHIP consistently. I'm not comparing Morton to Smoltz, just giving a fair comparison to those who may not pay attention to WHIP (Walks/Hits per Inning).

So, obviously something was clicking for Morton and he went to the Arizona Fall League alongside Jordan Schafer playing for the Peoria Javelinas and he started five games and was 4-1 with a 2.57 ERA, basically got nasty. Morton attributed his second half surge to confidence in his repertoire and began pitching with more conviction. His AFL performance also caught the eye of Bobby Cox who thought he excelled immensely in the AFL. What do you know Morton was added to the 40-man roster within the week.

Morton's repertoire is this: Fastball that touches 96-97 and a "nasty" curve according to some scouts along with an average to above-average slider and change.

Morton has the chance to make the club out of Spring Training as well, but I'm in the belief that he'll start the year in Richmond and to see if his second-half 2007 surge was no fluke. But as you can tell I like many others in the Braves' organization really like this kid.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)

2010 scenario:

3B Viciedo

SS Lillibridge

2B Beckham

1B Fields

CF Ramirez

RF Quentin

LF Shelby?

C Flowers

I would personally prefer:

3B Viciedo

SS Ramirez

2B Beckham

1B Allen

CF Danks

RF Quentin

LF Shelby

C Flowers

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
Yes, and I just heard Rosey confirm it on CSN. Still just a name thrown out, but a possibility.

guy at WSI said he heard chip caray on atlanta radio say taht it will be javy and logan for lillibridge flowers and morton...

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
I'm not so sure if Carlos can play all the RF, he barely plays good D in LF.

He came up as a RF, the only reason he was playing LF is because Dye is there and CQ almost wasn't even on the MLB roster to start the year ironically.

That is because Flowers is a guy who projects to hit anywhere from .270-.285 with 25+ HR's and a .360+ OBP. Those are very very good stats for a catcher. He has holes in his defensive game as well as a potentially slow swing but as a whole he's one of the best catching prospects.