The Bears Suck

Hawkfan

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 04:48 AM)
Absolutely. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, he's out. Especially since he is keeping his "boy" Babich around. I understand Lovie will be more involved running the defense, but any other good coach would have fired Babich long ago. I can't stand the amount of "loyalty" Lovie is showing to the guy just b/c he's one of his best friends. Honestly, it's so frustrating.

Oh, and count me in the group that wants to see more Earl Bennett. The guy can flat out play. I saw him numerous times against SEC competition where teams geared up to stop him (b/c he was all Vandy had), and he still dominated. We're idiots for not playing him over Rashied "Hot Hands" Davis...

I agree 100%. The way the Bears use some of their draft picks (especially on offense) is mind boggling! Maybe they think this is baseball?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)
Absolutely. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, he's out. Especially since he is keeping his "boy" Babich around. I understand Lovie will be more involved running the defense, but any other good coach would have fired Babich long ago. I can't stand the amount of "loyalty" Lovie is showing to the guy just b/c he's one of his best friends. Honestly, it's so frustrating.

Don't bet on Lovie going anywhere until that contract of his is up. The Bears aren't going to pay a guy $5 million to sit at home, they are far too cheap for that kind of thing. Babich is being effectively neutralized at this point. He is keeping the title and salary but I think its fairly obvious that Marinelli and Lovie are going to be running the defense from now on. This Lovie/Babich things feels like a bad flashback to the Jauron/Shoop days.

Edited by hawksfan61

Why do people still say "the Bears are cheap" as if this was the 80s? Since Ted Phillips has been running the team there has been virtually no evidence whatsoever to support this statement. Is it because they don't blow salary cap money on the top free agents the fans want every year? Is it because they take a position in negotiations and carry them out instead of giving more money to every player that asks for it? Why? I remember people saying the Bears were too cheap to give Lovie an extension a couple of years ago (even though the contract he was given at the time for a HC with no experience was fair market value). But obviously that wasn't true.

I challenge someone to find a single time in the last 5 years or so that Phillips/Angelo/Stein have needed to make a move that cost money, and didn't do it solely for that reason even though it was available. You can't do it, because it's never happened.

BTW, this should be completely independent of bad management decisions because these things are unrelated.

I really think that the bears are so bad at developing receivers that even if we got a great one they wouldn't ever shine. I mean merely seeing Justin Gage actually look like a competent receiver in tennessee is so far and beyond what he was in chicago it makes me crazy. Same with wade. These below avg. receivers leave us and become respectable elsewhere.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Why do people still say "the Bears are cheap" as if this was the 80s? Since Ted Phillips has been running the team there has been virtually no evidence whatsoever to support this statement. Is it because they don't blow salary cap money on the top free agents the fans want every year? Is it because they take a position in negotiations and carry them out instead of giving more money to every player that asks for it? Why? I remember people saying the Bears were too cheap to give Lovie an extension a couple of years ago (even though the contract he was given at the time for a HC with no experience was fair market value). But obviously that wasn't true.

I challenge someone to find a single time in the last 5 years or so that Phillips/Angelo/Stein have needed to make a move that cost money, and didn't do it solely for that reason even though it was available. You can't do it, because it's never happened.

BTW, this should be completely independent of bad management decisions because these things are unrelated.

They are cheap because they will not pay for real assistant coaches or to make Soldier Field a real NFL facility. Do you know that the Park District makes zero money on the Bears. If the Bears left that facility it would cost the Park District zero revenue lost.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
I really think that the bears are so bad at developing receivers that even if we got a great one they wouldn't ever shine. I mean merely seeing Justin Gage actually look like a competent receiver in tennessee is so far and beyond what he was in chicago it makes me crazy. Same with wade. These below avg. receivers leave us and become respectable elsewhere.

Lets face it, those two BLEW with the bears, both of them couldnt hold onto the ball, especially wade. I know for a fact I was not sad to see them go. So they resurrected their careers elsewhere, oh well.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Lets face it, those two BLEW with the bears, both of them couldnt hold onto the ball, especially wade. I know for a fact I was not sad to see them go. So they resurrected their careers elsewhere, oh well.

One time is a random occurrence. Multiple times...that's starting to become a trend.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
They are cheap because they will not pay for real assistant coaches or to make Soldier Field a real NFL facility. Do you know that the Park District makes zero money on the Bears. If the Bears left that facility it would cost the Park District zero revenue lost.

I'll give you the assistant coach thing but that's really kind of nitpicky, what sports franchise does splurge on assistants? Some do, but definitely not all. How often do you see NFL teams buying out college contracts and such?

Where do you get that the Park District makes zero money though? They make somewhere around 10 million per year although that's kind of disputed. Even still, stadium deals are a whole other animal and doesn't really dispute what I was trying to say because it's getting off the point. I'm talking about players here.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)

It's an indictment of the coaching staff, namely Darryl Drake.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
It's an indictment of the coaching staff, namely Darryl Drake.

honestly, if a player cannot hold onto the ball Im not blaming the WR coach. If the player is lost and is running the wrong routes and is generally unprepared, then I can see blaming Drake.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
Earl Bennet?

I just think Lovie has an odd doghouse. He doesnt explain these things to us so we are all left guessing, its the same thing with Josh Beekman last year, and sort of the same thing with Mark Bradley. Really if you think about it, Berrian didnt see the field much until he had a breakout playoff game against the Panthers in 05, and the next year he was a starter.

Who knows, maybe Ron Turner is telling Lovie who he feels is not prepared.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
honestly, if a player cannot hold onto the ball Im not blaming the WR coach. If the player is lost and is running the wrong routes and is generally unprepared, then I can see blaming Drake.

Mark Bradley fell into that category.

Also I want to add Muhsin Muhammad to this list. When he was here, in '07, fans were talking about how he was washed up etc. and it looked like it because he was never getting open, or anything. But then he goes back to Carolina and viola, he has a year as good as or better than any year he's ever had here.

It's been a consistent pattern. The only WR that ever did anything in Chicago was Berrian. Some of this is due to the QB situation, but it's a problem even when there's relative stability at the position.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
I'll give you the assistant coach thing but that's really kind of nitpicky, what sports franchise does splurge on assistants? Some do, but definitely not all. How often do you see NFL teams buying out college contracts and such?

Where do you get that the Park District makes zero money though? They make somewhere around 10 million per year although that's kind of disputed. Even still, stadium deals are a whole other animal and doesn't really dispute what I was trying to say because it's getting off the point. I'm talking about players here.

Off the top of my head the teams that have sustained success usually have a pretty good collection of asistants or player personnel. I like Lovie and Angelo but I think they need to get better NFL experienced coaches and personnel involved in the organization whcih costs money. I like the Rod Maranelli hire and think these arethe kind of guys they need. Dick LaBeau and Jim Johnson are guys I am thinking. Along with the Dom Capers, Dan Hennings and Joe Bugle's of the world. These are guys that have been around a while nad know how to make NFL players better.

Where in the article does it say that the Bears contributed to the Solider Field revenue? Most of the Solider Field funds come from the Museum Campus parking and other events held at Soldier Field. Not sure if the Fire contributed at that time to the revenue stream. The Bears agreement is sickening. That is why the Park District will not put down the turf that they have at other fully public park facilities that do not house NFL football teams.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Where in the article does it say that the Bears contributed to the Solider Field revenue? Most of the Solider Field funds come from the Museum Campus parking and other events held at Soldier Field. Not sure if the Fire contributed at that time to the revenue stream. The Bears agreement is sickening. That is why the Park District will not put down the turf that they have at other fully public park facilities that do not house NFL football teams.

I agree that the whole stadium agreement and the negotiations were a clusterf***, I remember all that going on during the 90s. IMO the fact that it even happened was a miracle and it took McCaskey (who was incompetent at pretty much everything) giving up day-to-day operations to Phillips to even get that far. The Bears don't own Soldier Field though, I do know they contributed something like 200 million to the renovation, but that's all, it's otherwise publicly owned. If they shelled out some cash for their own new, bigger stadium that had an additional 20,000 or so I'm sure they could make a lot more revenue eventually (I'm pretty sure the fact that it's the smallest stadium is what keeps them out of the top 10 revenue-pulling teams). But where would it go?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
This will definitely be a make or break year for Lovie. Won't have anyone else to blame if the defense underperforms.

I like Lovie, so hopefully it works out.

he can alway blame it on Angelo for not getting him the players he needs. Lovie will be here at until there is only 1 year left on his deal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
he can alway blame it on Angelo for not getting him the players he needs. Lovie will be here at until there is only 1 year left on his deal.

On defense? That cry would fall on deaf ears, Angelo has gotten Lovie everything he's wanted and he's had some decent hauls with defensive players in the draft. Hell, he even traded for Adam Archuleta because that's what Lovie wanted. Adam f***in Archuleta.

On offense is another story, Angelo blows at drafting offense (Forte, Berrian, and maybe Beekman excepted, jury is still out on Williams and Bennett), and is clueless when it comes to the offensive line.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)

As a season ticket holder, I like Soldier Field. It's a heck of a lot better than the old one. The seat a better, they are closer to the field, the noise level incrased because of the up instead of out design. It is not the best looking stadium but once you are insde it is a stadium comparable to most in the NFL.

I still think Bobby Wade is a fairly crappy WR, he is comparable to Rashied Davis in my mind. Justin Gage was a player I always liked and glad to see him succeed elsewhere, bottom line though the reason all WR's look poor is because of a weak O-Line and weak QB. The last time we had a WR look good was Marty Booker and that season, atleast in 01 we had a very solid O-Line, kind of gone downhill since than. The one the coaching staff dropped the ball on was Mark Bradley, he obviously had talent it was apparent to every fan, and for some reason they kept shoving Rashied Davis down our throats instead.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)

I admit the Bears are not cheap when it comes to players. They have given out a lot of money, some of it poorly in hindsight, to a lot of players, whether they be our own (Harris, Urlacher, Briggs, etc.) or free agents (Tait, Moose, etc.). The Bears, however, are not the Redskins or the Cowboys. The fact of the matter is the McCaskey family business is the Bears, they don't have some other money source from which they can just pump money into the team. What goes out, must come in, so I have a hard time believing they would axe Lovie and his 5 million dollar salary, plus whatever his assistants are making, to bring in a new coach. Even if this new coach was on the cheap side, they are probably forking over 2 million a year for him, not including his staff. If you want someone good and established its going to cost 5 million or more. I wouldn't want the Russ Grimm's of the world coaching our team on the cheap, and I don't see the Bears tying up 12-14 million bucks in coaches to bring in a more established guy like Shanahan or Cowher. I just don't think the McCaskey's could afford to do it.

Fact of the matter is I don't think Lovie should lose his job. I think they should keep him away from having personnel input, but overall he is one of the better coaches we have had, certainly better than John Shoop's sugardaddy or "the pieces are in place!". I think everyone's biggest problem with Smith is that he has run some coaches out of town and brought his pals in to take their place, and the net result is the team has gotten worse.

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Mark Bradley fell into that category.

Also I want to add Muhsin Muhammad to this list. When he was here, in '07, fans were talking about how he was washed up etc. and it looked like it because he was never getting open, or anything. But then he goes back to Carolina and viola, he has a year as good as or better than any year he's ever had here.

It's been a consistent pattern. The only WR that ever did anything in Chicago was Berrian. Some of this is due to the QB situation, but it's a problem even when there's relative stability at the position.

I won't hang Moose on the team. A lot of guys look good with Steve Smith lining up on the other side of the field. Moose is a loudmouth who I don't think really wanted to be here. I don't think he ever really wanted to leave Carolina to be honest with you, but he saw that big contract and took the money and ran. He is kind of the Bears Ben Wallace, although with a far less destructive impact on the team than Ben had.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
As a season ticket holder, I like Soldier Field. It's a heck of a lot better than the old one. The seat a better, they are closer to the field, the noise level incrased because of the up instead of out design. It is not the best looking stadium but once you are insde it is a stadium comparable to most in the NFL.

For the price they paid it should have turned the franchise into a money making machine. Instead the team gets off on the cheap invests little into the facility and reaps the rewards from guaranteed sell-outs and a great television contract. They can raise ticket prices as much as they like because of the long waiting list for season tickets and the mere fact that you are still only buying 10 games.