The Bears Suck

Hawkfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
yeah. I'm probably being nice to Roethlisberger too, because he was pretty terrible this year.

In regards to QB rating...Manning 15th (86.4), Delhomme 18th (84.7), Roethlisberger 24th (80.1).

I don't know why you didn't question Chad Pennington, seeing as how he had the 2nd best QB rating in the game, but my reasoning behind him is merely that I think he is. He was fantastic this year, but overall has been a mediocre QB.

I will also say that Eli Manning might be the most overrated player in the entire NFL. People consider him an elite QB when quite frankly he is anything but an elite QB. Mediocre completion percentage, yards thrown, touchdowns thrown, and QB rating...the only thing he was good at, and pretty much fits hand in hand with a mediocre, game managing QB, is that he didn't turn the ball over much (10 INTs, 2 lost fumbles). Eli Manning is not a franchise QB.

Roethlisberger holds on to the ball too long sometimes, but he plays behind an absolutely horrific line. If he was on, say, the Pats, he would dominate.

Edited by lostfan

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
Looks like they will.

I'll admit, looks like I was wrong. Given the cap implications, this tells me 1 thing: Tom Brady will not be starting for the Pats next September. Probably not October either.

No way you do that if Brady can go.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
The Titans, Vikings, Ravens, Dolphins, Steelers, Panthers, Falcons, and Giants all agree that it's a pretty good philosophy.

In that list you have two teams that have stellar franchise rookie qb's, four qb's that have already been to a superbowl, one team with the best back in the league (and a good D), and two teams with the top 2 defenses in the league year in, year out.

I would take all of those QB's over the last 26 the Bears have thrown out. Pennington might be the one exception, but even if I were stuck with that choice, I'd sign him and put him in competition with Orton.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
In that list you have two teams that have stellar franchise rookie qb's, four qb's that have already been to a superbowl, one team with the best back in the league (and a good D), and two teams with the top 2 defenses in the league year in, year out.

I would take all of those QB's over the last 26 the Bears have thrown out. Pennington might be the one exception, but even if I were stuck with that choice, I'd sign him and put him in competition with Orton.

I wouldn't take Collins (age) or Jackson (aka the Black Rex Grossman) over Orton. The others, yes. I'm iffy about Pennington but I wanted him last off-season. He can't throw the deep ball, but he's very accurate under about 20 yards.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)
I wouldn't take Collins (age) or Jackson (aka the Black Rex Grossman) over Orton. The others, yes. I'm iffy about Pennington but I wanted him last off-season. He can't throw the deep ball, but he's very accurate under about 20 yards.

Remember that commercial for HD showing Pennington heaving away what looks like a bomb, and the camera pans out to show his WR catching it in the back of the end zone and you see the pass went like 25 yards... lol

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
I'll admit, looks like I was wrong. Given the cap implications, this tells me 1 thing: Tom Brady will not be starting for the Pats next September. Probably not October either.

No way you do that if Brady can go.

They could trade Cassell. Or keep him and let him start. Brady is way behind schedule from everything I've heard.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
They could trade Cassell. Or keep him and let him start. Brady is way behind schedule from everything I've heard.

thats because he is lost in Gisele-land

not that I can blame him

Steelers backup and former Jags starter Byron Leftwich wants a crack at the Bears QB starting job.

''I'm a fan of Lovie Smith, I'll just say that. I thought that was where I was going to go in the beginning. I remember hoping that I would go there. I just wanted to be a part of the tradition, the history of the Bears. You're growing up, watching games at Soldier Field on TV, I wanted to be a part of that coming out. I thought there was a chance I would go there.

''I want a chance to go somewhere and play. I guess everybody wanted to see if I am healthy, and now they can see it. I'm ready to play again.''

Sun-Times

I've never really been high on Leftwich. Big arm, but slow, wonky delivery and no mobility thanks to a troublesome ankle. 

QUOTE (Ron @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Steelers backup and former Jags starter Byron Leftwich wants a crack at the Bears QB starting job.

Sun-Times

I've never really been high on Leftwich. Big arm, but slow, wonky delivery and no mobility thanks to a troublesome ankle. 

He's never had mobility. Even before he got injured at college. What he had was a huge arm and he was pretty accurate. I see him as another Ben Roethlisberger as his peak which isn't bad, but it isn't super great either. If I were the Bears, I'd take a crack at him.

I think Leftwich's reputation precedes him which isn't really fair, the question with Jacksonville wasn't whether or not he could play, it was whether or not he could stay on the field. Having him at least be a backup and giving him a shot at the starting job can't hurt. The Bears made the mistake of making Rex the undisputed starter without a viable backup, the seat should still stay a little hot under Orton IMO.

I know a lot of fans want to sign Garcia or Warner or someone like that, but if I know my Bears I can't see them doing that.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 13, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
He's never had mobility. Even before he got injured at college. What he had was a huge arm and he was pretty accurate. I see him as another Ben Roethlisberger as his peak which isn't bad, but it isn't super great either. If I were the Bears, I'd take a crack at him.

I just don't like the combo of his lack of mobility and our O line. I think part of Kyle's early success was his improved footwork and getting the ball out fairly quick. It masked the weakness about as well as could be done, IMHO. I don't know that Leftwich can do either of these things as effectively. Leftwich and Big Ben have the same problem; they hold on to the ball too long. Ben gets ringed up behind a pretty good O line. Leftwich has been alright with them in spot duty. Our line isn't as good. Here, I think that flaw would limit his effectiveness.

Edited by Ron

Id have no problem in bringing in Leftwich. He wont cost that much and at very worse gives us a solid backup with experiance, think he has even been in a playoff game or 2. Honestly with Leftwich we could have a 3 man competition for the QB spot with Hanie the darkhorse, Id rather do this than waste a draft pick on a craptastic QB like Painter.

So..... This is pretty awesome.... http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dl...49925/-1/SPORTS

Bears shake up coaching staff

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith will take over defensive play-calling responsibilities from defensive coordinator Bob Babich next season as part of a shakeup of the team’s coaching staff.

“I’m excited about taking a more hands-on approach to helping our defense get back to where it was,” Smith said Tuesday.

Babich, who came under heavy criticism last year, will retain the defensive coordinator title but will take on the responsibilities of coaching linebackers.

Chicago’s defense finished 28th (354.7 yards per game) in 2007 and 21st this past season (334.7 ypg) under Babich. The Bears placed fifth (294.1) in 2006 and second (281.8) in 2005 under Ron Rivera.

On Monday, the team hired Jon Hoke as defensive backs coach. Hoke is the brother of former Ball State coach Brady Hoke, now at San Diego State. Both brothers played at Ball State.

The Bears’ linebackers-coaching spot was open because Lloyd Lee was fired when the season ended after Chicago finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Their former defensive line coach, Brick Haley, left to take a job with LSU.

That's better than keeping Babich, not as good as a firing/outright replacement. Hopefully with Marinelli lighting a fire under the ass of the D-line and Babich doing something he doesn't suck at and generally not being an outright liability the D will be respectable again. The play of the MLB lives and dies by the D-line and that's especially true in a Cover 2 scheme.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
This will definitely be a make or break year for Lovie. Won't have anyone else to blame if the defense underperforms.

I like Lovie, so hopefully it works out.

Absolutely. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, he's out. Especially since he is keeping his "boy" Babich around. I understand Lovie will be more involved running the defense, but any other good coach would have fired Babich long ago. I can't stand the amount of "loyalty" Lovie is showing to the guy just b/c he's one of his best friends. Honestly, it's so frustrating.

Oh, and count me in the group that wants to see more Earl Bennett. The guy can flat out play. I saw him numerous times against SEC competition where teams geared up to stop him (b/c he was all Vandy had), and he still dominated. We're idiots for not playing him over Rashied "Hot Hands" Davis...

Edited by dasox24