Gavin Floyd for Brian Roberts discussed

JDsDirtySox

I'm off for a while, but here's what I can tell you:

I think Roberts would sign an extension if there is a tentative deal in place. The Sox would have 48 hours to strike a deal under this scenario. No surprise that Baltimore finally has warmed to the idea of moving him, this could have happened sooner had talks with Vazquez and Atlanta fallen apart.

I still think Dye will be moved, although the glut of corner outfielders on the market limits KW's options.

With one year left on Thome's deal and two on Konerko's contract, it's possible Viciedo could be a DH if he's limited on defense. But I'm hearing he's got a solid arm.

response back from Trib's M. Gonzales on the deal....hope this helps

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)

I think Roberts would sign an extension if there is a tentative deal in place. The Sox would have 48 hours to strike a deal under this scenario. No surprise that Baltimore finally has warmed to the idea of moving him, this could have happened sooner had talks with Vazquez and Atlanta fallen apart.

I still think Dye will be moved, although the glut of corner outfielders on the market limits KW's options.

With one year left on Thome's deal and two on Konerko's contract, it's possible Viciedo could be a DH if he's limited on defense. But I'm hearing he's got a solid arm.

Not sure what to read into that caulfield.

My impression is that he doesn't know anymore about the Roberts situation than we do, and he's just speculating what might happen.

:huh

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)

what was it that you sent him? did you ask about a specific scenario (as in... "if this and this is happening, then ___ "

Or is he just openly hinting that it has legs?

Edited by Princess Dye

If Gonzales knows anything (I don't know if he has good connections or not), it seems that this type of deal would be predicated by the Sox dealing Dye, trading Floyd, and then resigning Roberts to an extension. One would then assume the Sox go out and sign Abreu, have Alexei start off at SS with the intention of moving him any given place where the team may need him in the future (I'd say either keeping him at SS with Beckham moving to 3B or Alexei to CF with Beckham staying at SS...it also doesn't rule out a potential dealing of Beckham and/or any of the other infielders the Sox have in the system).

The lineup might very well be the best in the AL Central, but the pitching staff would struggle big time.

Roberts - 2B

Abreu - RF

Quentin - LF

Thome - DH

Konerko - 1B

Pierzynski - C

Ramirez - SS

Fields - 3B

Anderson - CF

Buehrle

Danks

pitcher acquired for Dye

veteran retread/young pitcher

young pitcher

it all seems like a huge long shot to me in the long run, but mainly just trading for Roberts. Dye may or may not be traded either way and I'd put it at about 50/50.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
If Gonzales knows anything (I don't know if he has good connections or not), it seems that this type of deal would be predicated by the Sox dealing Dye, trading Floyd, and then resigning Roberts to an extension. One would then assume the Sox go out and sign Abreu, have Alexei start off at SS with the intention of moving him any given place where the team may need him in the future (I'd say either keeping him at SS with Beckham moving to 3B or Alexei to CF with Beckham staying at SS...it also doesn't rule out a potential dealing of Beckham and/or any of the other infielders the Sox have in the system).

The lineup might very well be the best in the AL Central, but the pitching staff would struggle big time.

Roberts - 2B

Abreu - RF

Quentin - LF

Thome - DH

Konerko - 1B

Pierzynski - C

Ramirez - SS

Fields - 3B

Anderson - CF

Buehrle

Danks

pitcher acquired for Dye

veteran retread/young pitcher

young pitcher

it all seems like a huge long shot to me in the long run, but mainly just trading for Roberts. Dye may or may not be traded either way and I'd put it at about 50/50.

It'd be beyond weird to have a semi athletic lineup. Definitely love the looks of that lineup, you just can't win with that pitching staff though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
That would be beyond dumb, as one of the pluses with Slayer is the offense he provides as a middle infielder.

Sorry about that, epic brain fail there.

If they could get a suitable pitcher to replace Floyd, it'd make sense to sign Roberts to a 2-3 year extension and shift ALEXEI to CF once Becks is ready to take over at SS, since they're playing him there in the minors.

QUOTE (Want2Repeat @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
I would love to have Roberts, but this would make little sense, unless they tink Floyd's year was a fluke. Remember, that Mr. Beckham is likely not far away. Why sign a big contract with Roberts, in that case, unless you think Beckhham will go to 3rd.

I dont understand why everyone is thinkin "oh no we cant extend roberts contract cause it'll block Beckham" last i check becks was goin into the season as the SS in B-ham, why would they put him there if they are not intending on using him as a ss in the bigs....look what this lineup could look like next year(lets say we trade dye and sign abreu)

1. Roberts 2b

2. Becks SS

3. TCQ RF

4. Thome DH

5. Kong 1b

6. Abreu LF

7. Lexi CF

8. AJP C

9. Fields 3b

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
1. Roberts 2b

2. Becks SS

3. TCQ RF

4. Thome DH

5. Kong 1b

6. Abreu LF

7. Lexi CF

8. AJP C

9. Fields 3b

Real nice to me. Even if it's Dye instead of Abreu. I think you do that and then hope a pitcher or two steps up. That's how weak the division is.

Pitcher performances are volatile but once you have top of the order all set, you eliminate a lot of net team-volatility.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 4, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
The problem is that Beckham is iffy at best projected as a major league shortstop in terms of arm, range and overall ability...most think his skill set profiles best as a 2B, but we'll find out soon enough with a full season of play at that position in Birmingham.

Actually his arm and ability has been said to be sufficient at the major league level, his range was the only thing SOME scouts have questioned.

Okay...well, most feel he would/will be an "average" major league shortstop from a defensively standpoint. Also, it seems that 2B is more likely to be his eventual destination than 3B.

I guess I'll leave it up for Birmingham fans to give firsthand accounts of his play on a consistent, day-to-day basis.

Arm Strength: His arm grades out as average to a tick above and plays fine from shortstop.

Fielding: He's a very natural defender, but he's fighting his size a bit at short and might profile better as a second baseman.

Range: He has above-average range.

from mlb.com

MLB Hot Stove discussed this rumor and they understood it as Floyd plus and infielder and by the body language of the analyst, he thought that was as ridiculous as Soxtalk does. He thought it was very iffy due to asking price. I think KW may be driving up the price the northside would have to pay.

Other Sox related stuff I can remember...

Griffey to Seattle or Tampa Bay with 3 other mystery teams.

AL central preview mentioned the Sox would rely on TCQ and the missile to step up. Then talked about losing Griffey, OC, Swish,JV, and Crede. One analyst pointed out that KW has shown the ability to be a team in transition and add youth and speed where he felt the game was heading.

I imagine if the Sox and O's were talking that they did ask for an infielder as well, all driven by Angelos. The dude asks for a ton in return for trades, especially his stars. Tejada wasn't traded for any big time prospects and it was after the Mitchell Report came out, and on top of that his contract was pretty mediocre for an overrated infielder, and he still got 5 players out of the Astros.