Winter Car Trouble

Reddy

so how bout this mike,

despite EVERYONE saying alternator (even in green) it wasn't. My positive connector was overly corroded and the wires in the cable were frayed. good thing i didn't just fix it without getting it checked huh? :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 01:51 AM)
so how bout this mike,

despite EVERYONE saying alternator (even in green) it wasn't. My positive connector was overly corroded and the wires in the cable were frayed. good thing i didn't just fix it without getting it checked huh? :P

Cool. THat is much cheaper!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 02:51 AM)
so how bout this mike,

Much cheaper to get fixed than the alternator.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
In real life, hookers just plain do not look like that. Not even close.

They do, but you have to either have a huge bankroll or be a five diamond government official. And then you have to pay extra for the outfit. They do have standards and all

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 01:51 AM)
so how bout this mike,

Hey, we figured you already checked out the easy stuff :lol:

Why wasn't that fixed when you installed the new battery?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
No kidding. Most decent mechanics would have checked that when installing a new battery.

its right in front of their face, there is nothing they need to check. At the very least they should have taken a wire brush to the connector to get some of the corroded crap off if they werent going to tell you that you needed a new wire. Just plain laziness

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
They do, but you have to either have a huge bankroll or be a five diamond government official. And then you have to pay extra for the outfit. They do have standards and all

Those are call girls though.

lol

I was going to post I doubt its the alternator because the car shouldnt have been able to hold a charge. (The only time Ive been in a car with a broken alternator even after getting jumped it would die quickly because the car couldnt recharge itself.)

I just have no clue about cars so I didnt want to sound stupid.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
No kidding. Most decent mechanics would have checked that when installing a new battery.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
took to get it to AutoZone where they replaced the battery.

Autozone =/= decent mechanics. Hell, they should have tested the battery and the alternator first before even replacing the battery.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
Jumped mine too and started after I turned it off a couple of times.

Waited another 15 minutes and try to start it again but the voltage was down to 10.7 volts. Looks like I'm going to have to change it tomorrow. Anybody have any battery changing horror stories.

I do.

I was on vacation with my family and my parents in Michigan a couple of years ago. We were all piled into my suburban and we were towing a pop-up camper. We were getting ready to move on to our next desination and decided to stop at a petting zoo for the kids. When we got ready to leave, the suburban wouldn't start. When we went to check the battery, the piece that the cable gets screwed into literally fell out of the battery.

We ended up getting the owner of the zoo to drive us a few miles to the closest town so we could buy a new battery. Luckily they had one that fit.

I guess it could qualify as a "battery changing story":

Before my wife and I got married she had my car (The Grand Am I spoke of earlier that I had to change the alternator about once a year) down at Purdue and she was working at the movie theater. Now I live in NW Indiana - about 85 miles away. Well, the car wouldn't start after work one night and I knew what it was, but what could I do from NWI? She said one of the guys at the theater thinks he remembers how to change one, but isn't sure. I thought, "Well, maybe he can help out. It's pretty simple on a Grand Am and I can almost walk him through it over the phone." BUT, through the conversation I realized that he meant he thinks he remembers how to change the battery! I just said, "Don't let him anywhere near my car. Get a ride home and I'll be down in the morning."