Guillen gives Viciedo new nickname, no mention of "Slayer"

caulfield12

Dayan Viciedo hit a home run off Jon Garland in his second pro game, and 2008 first-round pick Gordon Beckham cracked an RBI double to lead the Sox to a 10-1 victory over Arizona at Tucson Electric Park.

"You see Beckham swinging the bat, and it's like he has been here before," Guillen told reporters. "I think the Cuban Tank (Viciedo) has looked very good, and he played even better third base. It will take a little time to get him better."

"As long as [pitchers] don't know him, I think it makes it easier," Guillen said. "To me, he has more confidence than his countryman ( Alexei Ramirez)."

Paul Konerko, who homered, also was impressed with Viciedo.

"He has that same Alexei mind-set — if it's coming at me, I'm hitting," Konerko said. "But he's good and can hit everything. I'm envious of those guys. They are pretty mindless up there."

chicagotribune.com/sports

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
Young, exciting, legitimate talent that you can actually get excited about! Feels like 1999 again.

Yeah, people that actually have the tools to be big time players. Not just guys who happen to be the best players in our system like Egbert and we have no other option but to try and get excited about guys who have #5 starter as their ceiling.

I hope the kid just comes in all guns blazing so we can stop reading stuff like "It would have taken a Crede-esque dive at the ball to get it"

This is going to be a year that will be annoying with Comparisons on this site. "Crede would have made that play", "Its too bad we dont still have Vazquez in the 5th starter spot", "Uribe's defense would be nice off the bench"

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
I hope the kid just comes in all guns blazing so we can stop reading stuff like "It would have taken a Crede-esque dive at the ball to get it"

This is going to be a year that will be annoying with Comparisons on this site. "Crede would have made that play", "Its too bad we dont still have Vazquez in the 5th starter spot", "Uribe's defense would be nice off the bench"

I would agree with that last part anyway. IMO the Sox easily would have brought him back if they could have done it for a lot less than the $4.5M he was making. The Sox couldn't offer arb and expect any pay decrease so they let him go. Since Juan signed for $1M with the Giants, he will not only be affordable but also will be available at the deadline. I expect the Sox to reacquire him in June or July for next to nothing if they need any help from the bench defensively.

I saw it this morning, but I don't remember which channel.

It was to right center and looked like a pitch that got in on him. It was almost like he got fooled and muscled it out. I don't think he had full extension. So if it really went 415...wow! Now, Paulie's shot was a full extended rip to left field.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)

It won't be easy for Fields/Viciedo/Betemit at 3B, being compared to Crede...Ramirez being compared to Cabrera...or Betemit to Uribe.

The only one I will be shocked to hear is missing Swisher's defense.

Not matter who we go with at 2B, they should be pretty solid, but the left side of the infield will definitely be under the microscope...and what will make it more annoying is the players will be compared to the 2005 and not 2008 versions of Crede and Cabrera.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
I would agree with that last part anyway. IMO the Sox easily would have brought him back if they could have done it for a lot less than the $4.5M he was making. The Sox couldn't offer arb and expect any pay decrease so they let him go. Since Juan signed for $1M with the Giants, he will not only be affordable but also will be available at the deadline. I expect the Sox to reacquire him in June or July for next to nothing if they need any help from the bench defensively.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a team cannot cut a player's salary by more then 20% under the current CBA. That would be $3.6 million. His deal with the Giants is a minor league agreement and the $1 million only kicks in if he makes the big league roster. So it was a no brainer that he had to go.

As to bringing him back later, it would need to be pretty disasterous season for him to look like a better backup option at a million than Lillibridge at the minimum. Neither one is expected to hit but Lillibridge to supposed to be an A defender. Uribe has to be considered well below average, he still has an arm but he just doesn't cover much ground anymore.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a team cannot cut a player's salary by more then 20% under the current CBA. That would be $3.6 million. His deal with the Giants is a minor league agreement and the $1 million only kicks in if he makes the big league roster. So it was a no brainer that he had to go.

As to bringing him back later, it would need to be pretty disasterous season for him to look like a better backup option at a million than Lillibridge at the minimum. Neither one is expected to hit but Lillibridge to supposed to be an A defender. Uribe has to be considered well below average, he still has an arm but he just doesn't cover much ground anymore.

If Lillibridge starts then our backups will be Getz/Nix and Betemit most likely. I know Getz plays all over the field but I doubt he's anyone's backup for 3B. Nix, don't know enough about his arm but as a 2B I wouldn't expect him to have a cannon by any means.

I definitely would NOT call Uribe well below average, or even below average, or even average. He was better at SS in 2007 (on those days he felt like playing) than OC was there last year, and OC isn't well below average at all.

Besides, Lillibridge hit .220/.294/.344 last year in Triple A. It's no guarantee he'd hit well enough even in a backup role to stay on the team. And Wilson Betemit isn't exactly a defensive whiz at SS either. If Lillibridge either can't hit enough to stick on the bench or if he becomes a starter leaving the bench lacking in defense, then I wouldn't call that a disaster.

In fact, the only way the Sox would look to acquire defensive insurance on the bench would be if the season goes very well - not bad - and they want to make a few improvements here and there in preparation for a playoff run.

Edit: I also believe you're right as far as arbitration goes, and because Uribe ended the season as a Type B I doubt there would be any pay decrease whatsoever.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Here's what NIX looked like a LONG time ago in a scouting report, a five year-old detailed one from John Sickels. He would be challenged to play anywhere else on the field (unlike Lillibridge, who's a natural SS, and Getz can play 3B or SS if he has to, probably even better than Betemit)...but he's also our best 2B defensively right now, from all reports.

Jayson Nix is the brother of Texas Rangers outfielder Laynce Nix. Someone in their family must like the letter "Y." The Rockies drafted Jayson in 2001, out of high school in Midland, Texas, as a supplemental first-round pick, compensation for the failure to sign '00 pick Matt Harrington. A pitcher/shortstop as a prep, Nix moved to second base after signing due to questions about his range. He has good pop for a middle infielder and is one of the better "sleeper" prospects around.

Scouting report

Nix is a good athlete, with surprising strength for his size. He has quick wrists, and like his brother he shows good baseball instincts, with a natural feel for the game. Offensively, he will hammer most fastballs and will usually hold in well against breaking balls. He strikes out too much when he tries too hard to hit for power. That's the main thing he'll need to correct at higher levels. He'll hit for plenty of pop if he just stays within himself and makes contact. Nix has decent speed and shows a knack for stealing bases. Defensively, he has a very strong arm for second base, being a former shortstop. His range is adequate. He made 21 errors last year at Visalia, but his reliability should improve with more experience. Scouts praise his work ethic, and say he is a baseball rat.

Performance

Statistically, the most notable thing in his record is his unusual power for a second baseman. He knocked 21 homers last year, but his 46 doubles were equally as impressive. The doubles tied for the minor league lead. That's a sign of further power development to come. His batting averages and on-base percentages aren't terrific, and he projects as a .260-.270 hitter up the ladder. But with enough power production, that's fine, and the thin air in Coors Field will likely boost those numbers. His strikeout rate is high enough to worry me, and it will be extremely interesting to see how well he adjusts to Double-A pitching. He steals bases at a sound percentage and should remain a speed threat at higher levels.

Health record

Nix has had no major health concerns.

What to expect

Nix has major breakthrough potential. His power makes him an attractive fantasy investment as a middle infielder and playing in Coors will boost his numbers even further. The main concern is his plate discipline: are the strikeouts a warning that he won't make contact at higher levels or is it a correctable problem that will ease with experience? At this point, we don't know. Personally, I'm inclined to be optimistic about Nix, and I think he's one of the most promising middle infield prospects in the game. He should reach Colorado in late '04 or early '05. We will track his performance in Double-A very closely and will alter his timetable as needed.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
I dont think it is anywhere. I waited last night on sportsnight and they just talked about it, no video highlights

That's funny, I watched SportsNite and got the highlights. That was the only one they showed.

Plus power to opposite field; he killed it.

The boy is definitely carrying some weight, his ass is Thomas-esque, and he wears the uni baggy. I think he might be our Opening Day starter at 3B.

This might not belong here, but I had a little chuckle while reading this.

The 19-year-old Viciedo crushed a 2-1 cutter from Jon Garland into the right-center-field stands to lead off the second, adding a combination bat flip and hand movement made popular by Juan Uribe to signify the certainty of connection.
Edited by ChesterCopperpot

QUOTE (ChesterCopperpot @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
This might not belong here, but I had a little chuckle while reading this.

awesome, I've always loved that picture someone made with uribe's homerun pose that allows him not to fall over, and then it says hasta luego beisbol..classic

haven't seen this posted, it's an interview with bill melton, regarding the battle at 3B between fields and viciedo

also, have you noticed how many sports media columnists, beat writers, etc. mispronounce his name? most if not all of us know how to say his name, and have since the beginning (Vee-See-A-Doe), yet all of these "Professionals" can't seem to get it right. it's fascinating

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
haven't seen this posted, it's an interview with bill melton, regarding the battle at 3B between fields and viciedo

also, have you noticed how many sports media columnists, beat writers, etc. mispronounce his name? most if not all of us know how to say his name, and have since the beginning (Vee-See-A-Doe), yet all of these "Professionals" can't seem to get it right. it's fascinating

Thanks for posting that. Beltin' Bill has always been one my favorite Sox players.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 01:13 AM)

They do not have the cuban insider you guys have. :lolhitting

Beckham hit the heck out of the ball, but right now they are just trying to get a look at everybody. Keep in mind, the guy he hit, Scott Strickland, hasn't played in the Majors since 2005. He's also a Tommy John project.

Around St. Pat's day start paying attention to who gets the at bats against good starting pitchers. That will tell us who is really being considered for the 25 man.