Is Beckham the new 2B?

Cubano

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
This is nonsense. If he can hit in ST, he can do it in the bigs and what I like about this kid is the fact that he seems really confident out there....we'll see how the next 3 weeks go, it will be interesting...

Big league clubs and big league scouts have yet to put together paper on how to get Becks out. Sure, he's raking, but people don't care about him in the lineup and certainly don't gameplan against him.

If he makes the opening day lineup (as much as I'd love it), he'd be in for a rude awakening facing Major League aces who care about the outcome vs minor league chum and pitchers just getting their work in... Couple that with teams gameplanning and poudning his weakness (don't know that yet), as well as the grind of fielding MI in the Major Leagues WHILE still trying to get your bat on a professional baseball, and it's smarter to put Slayer in AA (or MAYBE AAA, but AA is fine to get some seasoning first).

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what the reaction is going to be, "why start his clock" "really that early", "he will have to adjust", "scouts dont know him yet." But here is my opening day lineup. And yes I know I am putting a guy with 14 pro games in that spot. I feel our pitching can be the strength of this team and because of that I like the defensive talent as well as the athleticism.

1. Becks 2B

2. Alexei SS

3. Thome DH

4. Q LF

5. Kong 1B

6. Dye RF

7. AJP C

8. Fields 3B

9. BA CF

I honestly believe Becks is a special player and could give us almost Sizemore-like production in the leadoff spot.

Lilli backs up SS and 2B

Betemit backs up 3B and 1B

Kroeger backs up RF and LF

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
I know what the reaction is going to be, "why start his clock" "really that early", "he will have to adjust", "scouts dont know him yet." But here is my opening day lineup. And yes I know I am putting a guy with 14 pro games in that spot. I feel our pitching can be the strength of this team and because of that I like the defensive talent as well as the athleticism.

1. Becks 2B

2. Alexei SS

3. Thome DH

4. Q LF

5. Kong 1B

6. Dye RF

7. AJP C

8. Fields 3B

9. BA CF

I honestly believe Becks is a special player and could give us almost Sizemore-like production in the leadoff spot.

Lilli backs up SS and 2B

i just wish we could have a legit cfer. doesnt even have to be someone like torii hunter, etc. someone that can get the job done, someone like dejesus. bcuz i really like that lineup but BA kind of kills it, even though hes batting 9th.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)

1. Becks 2B

2. Alexei SS

3. Thome DH

4. Q LF

5. Kong 1B

6. Dye RF

7. AJP C

8. Fields 3B

9. BA CF

Lilli backs up SS and 2B

Sizmore is great, but I sure hope Beckham strikes out less than him and hits for a little bit of a better average than him. (Sizemore has a .279 career BA.) How is Gordon's speed? Not as fast as Sizemore, right?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
i just wish we could have a legit cfer. doesnt even have to be someone like torii hunter, etc. someone that can get the job done, someone like dejesus. bcuz i really like that lineup but BA kind of kills it, even though hes batting 9th.

Right. I really put him in there for defensive reasons. I think our pitching staff could be good enough to carry this team and I wanted at least ONE plus fielder on the grass.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
Sizmore is great, but I sure hope Beckham strikes out less than him and hits for a little bit of a better average than him. (Sizemore has a .279 career BA.) How is Gordon's speed? Not as fast as Sizemore, right?

wow, .268, 130 k's from the super star* player

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
He is a superstar. Look at the OBP and power... and the fact that he's only going to get better.

hes really good, great, but i dont put him in the same category as others , like pujols

>someone brought this up yest, is there any way this could happen?:

SS - Beckham

2B - Getz

CF - Alexei

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
hes really good, great, but i dont put him in the same category as others , like pujols

SS - Beckham

2B - Getz

CF - Alexei

That'd be nice... eventually.

I'm not a fan of bringing Slayer directly to MLB though.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)

SS - Beckham

2B - Getz

CF - Alexei

Getz hasn't exactly shined yet this spring either. Yesterday was his first decent game, he's currently 5/18 on the spring.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
wow, .268, 130 k's from the super star* player

Easily one of the most valuable players in the game last year. His .306 EQA certainly stands out. Getting hung up on his batting average or for whatever reason 130 strikeouts is just silly. He nearly walked 100 times last year while putting up a .233 ISO (that's some big time power right there), he stole 38 bases and was only caught 5 times which is an 88% success rate (now THAT is a valuable base stealer as opposed to a s***ty one like Jerry Owens) and he played above average defense at one of the most important positions in the game. His BB/K last year was 0.75, which is quite good. I'll gladly take 98 and 130 over say 30 and 80. Sure he's not as good as Albert Pujols but then again no one is.

Hanley Ramirez K'd 122 times last year while walking 92 times. Are you going to tell me he K's too much? People get hung up on the silliest things.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Easily one of the most valuable players in the game last year. His .306 EQA certainly stands out. Getting hung up on his batting average or for whatever reason 130 strikeouts is just silly. He nearly walked 100 times last year while putting up a .233 ISO (that's some big time power right there), he stole 38 bases and was only caught 5 times which is an 88% success rate (now THAT is a valuable base stealer as opposed to a s***ty one like Jerry Owens) and he played above average defense at one of the most important positions in the game. His BB/K last year was 0.75, which is quite good. I'll gladly take 98 and 130 over say 30 and 80. Sure he's not as good as Albert Pujols but then again no one is.

Hanley Ramirez K'd 122 times last year while walking 92 times. Are you going to tell me he K's too much? People get hung up on the silliest things.

this post should be framed and hung on the wall for all to see

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)

i think he is great, but i think hes overrated. and when i say overrated, i dont mean that hes not good. its that i think some people speak to highly of him, trying to put him in the same category as pujols. someone on this board even said that he the best player in all of baseball. i just dont agree with that. but he is great.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
i think he is great, but i think hes overrated. and when i say overrated, i dont mean that hes not good. its that i think some people speak to highly of him, trying to put him in the same category as pujols. someone on this board even said that he the best player in all of baseball. i just dont agree with that. but he is great.

If someone actually said that then they're an idiot but it's really only those few that "overrate" him. He deserves to be rated as one of the most valuable players in the game and a perpetual MVP candidate. You can't worry about what a few over excited people say, the fact that he's yet to finish higher than 10th in AL MVP voting may insist that he's actually underrated by those who have a voice.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
I'm really surprised at the lack of pushback on me putting a rookie in the leadoff position for this team.

If there's one person whom I'm not worried about faltering under the pressure it's Gordon Beckham. He has a stronger constitution than a lot of veteran ballplayers (I'm looking at you Alfonso Soriano).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
If someone actually said that then they're an idiot but it's really only those few that "overrate" him. He deserves to be rated as one of the most valuable players in the game and a perpetual MVP candidate. You can't worry about what a few over excited people say, the fact that he's yet to finish higher than 10th in AL MVP voting may insist that he's actually underrated by those who have a voice.

true. i dont disagree

Post #1 and 30, 9 votes

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
true. i dont disagree

Post #1 and 30, 9 votes

That poll wasnt based purely on "who is the best player". It was more of a who would you want to build a team around. I voted for Hanley but Grady would absolutely be in the discussion. Also, his power numbers (HR/RBI) could and would be a lot better if the Indians hadnt been using him as a leadoff hitter.

And you cant keep bringing up the fact that he isnt in Pujols' league, because no one other than 1 or 2 exceptions are in his league.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
That poll wasnt based purely on "who is the best player". It was more of a who would you want to build a team around. I voted for Hanley but Grady would absolutely be in the discussion. Also, his power numbers (HR/RBI) could and would be a lot better if the Indians hadnt been using him as a leadoff hitter.

And you cant keep bringing up the fact that he isnt in Pujols' league, because no one other than 1 or 2 exceptions are in his league.

Yeah, that's totally different.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)

Pujols league of 1 is due to the fact that he does not strike out. In my mind, to be a truly great hitter you shouldn't strike out almost once a game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
I'm really surprised at the lack of pushback on me putting a rookie in the leadoff position for this team.

im alllll for it!! In fact the deeper we get into spring training, the more i am realizing Owens is not the solution to our leadoff problems nor our CF hole. Anderson is our best defensive outfielder and as our 9th hole hitter- i think he could at least hit .255 with about 20 homeruns in a full season of at bats.

Beckham would be a great leadoff hitter... he can hit the hell out of the ball and has above average speed... Why not let Beckham learn from guys like Thome and Dye about hitting consistently in the league. This is likely their last year with us and a guy like Beckham could really benefit from guys like that.

So yeah Rock, i am with you! I want Beckham as our starting 2nd basement/ leadoff hitter in 2009!!

1. Beckham 2B (has more tools than Getz and Nix, with his talent i say we should just throw him right into the fire)

2. Pierzynski C (did a hell of a job as our #2 hitter last year)

3. Quentin LF (another MVP type season? lets hope the "Hulk Hogan" of baseball returns to form)

4. Dye RF (JD had a very solid season last year, i want a repeat performance)

5. Thome DH (Can he finish his career off strong? If anything i bet his OBP will be stellar again)

6. Ramirez SS (Can our best overall player get even better??)

7. Konerko 1B (I think this is the year PK rejuvinates his career...)

8. Fields 3B (He can hit the ball out of the park, but can he Fields? No pun intended.)

9. Anderson CF (Starter to minors, to bench player etc.... this guy has followed the same path as Rowand before he eventually came out. I think if given the chance, BA will have a productive season.)

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Start him at short, move Alexei to CF and let the best man win at 2B (preferably Getz). It would solve quite a few problems.

sure would solve a lot of problems.

But from what I understand, he's not a good CF.

If Beckham is really a stud defensive SS (I'm not sure he is) it's sort of undervaluing him not playing him at SS; same with Alexei

Ramirez is going to have a post a .850-.900 OPS and win the Gold Glove at SS to be clearly better all-around than Quentin. I just don't see how he can improve his OPS much from last year unless his walk rate climbs, which usually doesn't happen with swing first, walk later Latin players (born and raised playing baseball outside of the US).

He does run better, but that hasn't translated into stolen bases as of yet. Quentin is kind of a work in progress in LF, but he has been getting better playing out of his natural position. He might be our "flashiest" or "most dynamic" player, although Beckham might give him a run for his money there too, along with Viciedo eventually.