Is Beckham the new 2B?

Cubano

Is James Gordon Beckham the new Sox 2B despite playing in the low minors only? Is Guillen considering starting him? Has he play 2B before? :unsure:

Now, it looks like the Sox wants to give the 2B position to Gordon.

This is incredible. I learn something new with MLB every year.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
I still think regardless atleast to begin the season, Getz or Nix will start at 2B

I would not be so sure. The way I am seeing things with my crystal ball I see Gordon making the team with zero games played at 2B before ST.

There's really no reason to believe that he'll make the big club. Everything that's been said makes you think he'll start the year in Birmingham. It's unfortunate really, if he's the best 2B on the roster then he should make the team. Start him at short, move Alexei to CF and let the best man win at 2B (preferably Getz). It would solve quite a few problems.

Rollins, Reyes, Jeter, Hardy, Hanley and Tulowitzki all played their first full year in the Bigs as 22 year olds. Beckham has less minor league seasoning than all of them but he also had more playing time in College.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
I would not be so sure. The way I am seeing things with my crystal ball I see Gordon making the team with zero games played at 2B before ST.

They wouldnt do it if for no other reason dont want to start the arbitration clock early. If anything it would be similar to Longoria on the Rays.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
Is James Gordon Beckham the new Sox 2B despite playing in the low minors only? Is Guillen considering starting him? Has he play 2B before? :unsure:

The way I am seeing things with my crystal ball I see Gordon making the team with zero games played at 2B before ST. Now, it looks like the Sox wants to give the 2B position to Gordon.

Lillibridge has the flu and won't return to the club until Wednesday.

Nix has a strained quad and won't play until at least Tuesday.

And Beckham is likely the Sox 2B of the future.

So... makes perfect sense that the Sox would be playing Beckham right now and seeing what they've got.

Also, keep in mind he absolutely tore up the AFL in the fall, which had alot of MLB ready pitching talent... and he played 2B while he was there. So this is not the first time he's played it.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)

2B is a pretty easy position to learn especially when you're already a pretty good SS. The hardest thing to get used to is turning the double play since the angles are reversed but he's looked great on DPs so far, I believe he just turned one a few minutes ago. It's not like short where you have to deal with the hole to your right or the long throw across the diamond or 3B where you're 85 feet away from a right handed hitter. Second is a fairly simple position.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)

Now, it looks like the Sox wants to give the 2B position to Gordon.

Is there an article or quote to say the Sox are giving him a shot to start the season at 2B? I'd love to see him with the big club, but it just won't happen due to the arbitration clock.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
There's really no reason to believe that he'll make the big club. Everything that's been said makes you think he'll start the year in Birmingham. It's unfortunate really, if he's the best 2B on the roster then he should make the team. Start him at short, move Alexei to CF and let the best man win at 2B (preferably Getz). It would solve quite a few problems.

Rollins, Reyes, Jeter, Hardy, Hanley and Tulowitzki all played their first full year in the Bigs as 22 year olds. Beckham has less minor league seasoning than all of them but he also had more time in College.

not one player you listed is a good comparison to play beckham right off the bat this year. jeter, rollins and ramirez all had several years of playing minor league before the came up to the majors. the only two players that went to college were tulowitzki and hardy. tulowitzki did not get called up to the majors until it was in September the year after he was drafted. hardy didn't make the major's until a full two years after he got drafted. by your examples you should have beckham start the year in the minors.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)

Beckham won't break out of spring training with the major league team. Getz or Nix will be our everyday 2b, at least to start the season. If Beckham tears it up down in the minors and Getz or Nix don't make much of an impact, we could very well see Beckham this year.

If anything, you will see him for sure in 2010. My 2010 White Sox look like this (in no particular batting order):

C- AJ

1B- Konerko

2B- Beckham

SS- Ramirez

3B- Fields

LF- Viciedo

CF- ??? Alot will depend on how Anderson or Owens does this year.

RF- Quentin

DH- ??? Re-sign Thome for cheap? Other free agent options include Vlad Guerrero & Bobby Abreu

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)

Rollins, Reyes, Jeter, Hardy, Hanley and Tulowitzki all played their first full year in the Bigs as 22 year olds. Beckham has less minor league seasoning than all of them but he also had more playing time in College.

QUOTE (frankiethefixer @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
not one player you listed is a good comparison to play beckman right off the bat this year. jeter, rollins and ramirez all had several years of playing minor league before the came up to the majors. the only two players that went to college were tulowitzki and hardy. tulowitzki did not get called up to the majors until it was in September the year after he was drafted. hardy didn't make the major's until a full two years after he got drafted. by your examples you should have beckman start the year in the minors.

I was going strictly based on age. Tulo is the closest comparison, I know. He got 5 extra months in the minors. He also had substantially less playing time in college.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
I see Gordon getting a long look at 2B. I see him getting a lot of playing time there. We have a month to go. We shall see.

so this is just speculation on your part? similar to the is poreda the new 5th SP thread i could start?

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire...

Remember in the Arizona Fall League... an advanced league loaded with most teams' top talent...

Beckham's stats were:

.394 batting average (6th in the league)

.468 OBP (5th in the league)

.652 SLG (8th in the league)

1.119 OPS (8th in the league)

I confess I opened the Thread sarcastically to show how thing change and how teams manipulates things. Viciedo/Fields, Gordon situation.

Honestly, I prefer Gordon than all the other failures though calling Getz that is premature. I am agaisnt Owens, Nix, etc.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
I confess I opened the Thread sarcastically to show how thing change and how teams manipulates things. Viciedo/Fields, Gordon situation.

Honestly, I prefer Gordon than all the other failures though calling Getz that is premature. I am agaisnt Owens, Nix, etc.

Well thank you for letting us know this was your opinion and not something official. When you write that the Sox are going to make Beckham the starting 2B and you learn something new everyday about MLB, it appears to be something that is real. Unfortunately, it's not real and irresponsible. If you think Beckham should be the 2B, go ahead and post that. Hell, I even agree that he should, but don't write things that are false.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
I still say best case scenario, Alexi struggles at SS so moving him to CF makes sense. Call Beckham up and one of Lillibridge/Nix/Getz hopefully pan out and produce at 2B.

And we have a winner, It's a perfect scenario for the White Sox. No matter what they say publicly I believe there is a small bit of doubt in Alexei's SS playing ability. And Beckham is their insurance policy. If Ramirez struggles defensively, he gets moved to CF, they bring up Gordon. If whoever wins 2B is struggling, they also bring up Gordon to take his spot. Nice situation to have.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
Well thank you for letting us know this was your opinion and not something official. When you write that the Sox are going to make Beckham the starting 2B and you learn something new everyday about MLB, it appears to be something that is real. Unfortunately, it's not real and irresponsible. If you think Beckham should be the 2B, go ahead and post that. Hell, I even agree that he should, but don't write things that are false.

He phrased it as a question, I didn't see anything wrong with it.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)

The tittle and my first post are a question not an assertion on my part. I am asking everyone here about Gordon and 2B.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
The tittle and my first post are a question not an assertion on my part. I am asking everyone here about Gordon and 2B.

All I am saying is have proof if you are going to say the following...

"Now, it looks like the Sox wants to give the 2B position to Gordon.

This is incredible. I learn something new with MLB every year."

It's like posting a thread that says Pedro to sign 1 yr deal with ChiSox or Dye traded to Seattle and not have anything to back it up.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
so this is just speculation on your part? similar to the is poreda the new 5th SP thread i could start?

Gordon Beckham is at least 10X more equipped to start at 2B in the Major Leagues than Aaron Poreda is to pitch out of the rotation in the Major Leagues.

As of right now I'd say Beckham won't make the team, but if he keeps hitting like this, it is going to be very hard to keep him off it. The Sox are not the Rays and they are not afraid to start the clock on someone they believe is ready. When have Ozzie or Kenny ever put arb years ahead of the product on the field? Aside from the Erstad-Anderson "competition" in '07 and the Sox taking Massett over Wassermann last year, Kenny and Ozzie have always taken the best players in ST. That's how Widger, Logan, Ozuna, Gload, Anderson (last year), Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, etc. all made the team in the past.

Gordon Beckham and Josh Kroeger are both definitely in the mix right now despite the Sox going into ST without them in their 2009 plans.