RotoWorld Suggests White Sox should sign Jim Edmonds

TLAK

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
Well I've seen enough of Brian Anderson to be able to say with conviction that I believe, with a full season of at-bats, that Anderson cannot do any better than 15 home runs, 60 rbi's, and a .235 average. At best. There's better centerfielders out there, and it's time to forget about Anderson. Anderson's nothing more than an outfield version of Cesar Izturis.

How shall we get these "better" CFs? Im pretty sure that if we had enough talent to spare to fix the problem that KW wouldve done that already.

Also, Brian has alot more power than 15 hrs over a season.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've seen enough of Brian Anderson to be able to say with conviction that I believe, with a full season of at-bats, that Anderson cannot do any better than 15 home runs, 60 rbi's, and a .235 average. At best. There's better centerfielders out there, and it's time to forget about Anderson. Anderson's nothing more than an outfield version of Cesar Izturis.

I don't care what position izturis plays or where he bats in the line-up, comparing anderson to izturis is an insult. If you think anderson ''cannot'' do any better than 15 home runs, etc, etc... you have already admitted you believe he could hit 15 in a given season. Izturis hits roughly 2 home runs a year (actual games played aka service time) which comes out to 12 in his entire career. It took izturis 728 plate appearances in 2004 to knock is 62 runs. His previous career high was 40 rbi's in 2003, which also just so happened to be to be his career high for plate appearances at the time, 593. He averages 41 rbi's per season. If anderson tried to be as bad as izturis offensively he couldn't even do it.

Since his RBI numbers are based on the team around him, whats makes you so sure of that number? And your .235 avg is a pretty good guess considering thats about his career avg, really went out on a limb there didnt you?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)

BA's upside far outweighs that of Izturis's. Also, Izturis averages 2 homers 41 Rbis and .260 per 162 games and 568 at bats. BA averages 11 homers 37 Rbis and 222. in 360 at bats. In other words, you're wrong.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 09:06 PM)
BA's upside far outweighs that of Izturis's. Also, Izturis averages 2 homers 41 Rbis and .260 per 162 games and 568 at bats. BA averages 11 homers 37 Rbis and 222. in 360 at bats. In other words, you're wrong.

Lol, but if Anderson averages 11 homers and 37 rbi's in 360 at-bats, then that means my prediction of approximately 15 home runs and 60 rbi's in 500 at-bats or so is a pretty good estimate.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
f***ing Jose Lopez nearly put up 85/85/20 last year while playing half his games at Safeco, hitting in an awful lineup and being bad. Give Nick Swisher more than 588 PA last year and he does it with ease (finished with 24/86/69).

Jose Lopez and Nick Swisher are still better players than Brian Anderson, Brian can only hope to match their numbers.

I'd take Jose Lopez at 2nd base over Brian Anderson at CF in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 01:24 AM)
I'd take Jose Lopez at 2nd base over Brian Anderson at CF in a heartbeat.

I get that you hate Brian Anderson and never think he will amount to anything, but this statement doesn't even vaguely resemble something that would make sense. What's a 2B have to do with a CF? You're just kind of reaching for more reasons to hate Anderson and going around in circles.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 07:20 AM)
I get that you hate Brian Anderson and never think he will amount to anything, but this statement doesn't even vaguely resemble something that would make sense. What's a 2B have to do with a CF? You're just kind of reaching for more reasons to hate Anderson and going around in circles.

Hey man, I was only responding to Kalaspe's post where he brought Jose Lopez and Swisher up. He brought up Jose Lopez out of the blue, and I was simply stating that I'd take Lopez for 2nd base over Anderson in CF any time of the day. I can go further and say that if someone is faced with the choice of having Anderson or Lopez on their team, without consideration fort he positions they play, then they should always go with Lopez.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Does anyone think Getz could be an option in CF once Beckham takes over at 2B?

Though not this year, I really think they will move Alexei to CF. It isn't like he's been a player with a position his whole life, reports given have showed that he's been moved around his whole career. Move him to center if Getz earned a position this year.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
Hey man, I was only responding to Kalaspe's post where he brought Jose Lopez and Swisher up. He brought up Jose Lopez out of the blue, and I was simply stating that I'd take Lopez for 2nd base over Anderson in CF any time of the day. I can go further and say that if someone is faced with the choice of having Anderson or Lopez on their team, without consideration fort he positions they play, then they should always go with Lopez.

I can't figure out how this comparison makes any sense.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox explore that possibility, and Getz does seem to have more atheltic ability than Mackowiak. Hmmmm.

Mackowiak's issues in CF had little to do with athletic ability. He simply didn't get good reads, didn't position himself well, and didn't know the position. Being a good athlete doesn't make you a good CF, it goes well beyond that.

That said, Getz did play 15 games in the outfield for Charlotte last year, all in LF. But that is the sum total of his OF experience in the minors. So even if he has the right raw skills, it would take him a while to adjust to CF, if he ever did.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)

Like NSS said, the bolded part is what I don't get, If you're saying "I think Lopez is a much better player than Anderson will ever be" well, then yeah, that makes sense. But not comparing a 2B to a CF.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Like NSS said, the bolded part is what I don't get, If you're saying "I think Lopez is a much better player than Anderson will ever be" well, then yeah, that makes sense. But not comparing a 2B to a CF.

Well then say that to Kalapse, then. He' the one that brought up Jose Lopez in the first place.

Jose Lopez is not that great of a baseball player. His OBP is routinely around 30 points above his batting average which is inconsistent at best, just like his defense. He doesn't walk enough, and he doesn't have much power at all.

If Brian ever hits .250 over the course of a season he'll easily match or exceed Lopez's career OBP and will dwarf his power production, along with providing much better defense at his position than Lopez does at his.

If Anderson and Lopez were both CF, I'd take Anderson over him. If Anderson and Lopez were both 2B I'd start Chris Getz. I have no idea what it is about Lopez's mediocre defense and career .271/.303/.398 line coming through everyday playing time that is supposed to make him so much better than Anderson and his career .221/.277/.379 line, almost half of which is coming from irregular AB off the bench.

There was also a comment about Brian not being able to hit more than 15 HR over a full season. Why did he hit 8 off the bench last year in 181 AB then? And don't respond with the easy "he was facing lefties" crap, because he hit righties coming up through the minors and it's not like he couldn't hit them if he had a chance to get comfortable and play every day. In fact, over his career he's hit .228 against RHP vs. only .212 against lefties, and the SLG% is only slightly favoring lefties, at .373 against RHP vs. .386 against LHP.

Also, if you've ever actually watched Brian play and if you've actually seen his home runs, they're not Ray Durham-esque cheapies. He hits some bombs. And if he makes more contact, he'll hit more of them. His numbers last year, without an increase in batting average, would pencil out to about 23-25 HR in a full seasons worth of AB. Jose Lopez's career high is 17 which came last year in 644 AB. If Brian got that many AB he could hit 30 even with his career batting average remaining the same.

And lastly about Nick Swisher, why was Swisher traded? Because he sucks in CF and outside of his career year in Oakland he can't be counted on to produce better than league average or slightly above it for a corner OF or 1B. Nick's career .244/.354/.451 line at $22M guaranteed through 2011 looks at lot worse in an OF corner or at 1B than Brian's line does in CF at the league minimum. So, I'd take Anderson over Swisher too. At least he'll give me defense, and if he doesn't up his average to the .250+ range, and if he doesn't also up his OBP into the .310+ range, I'll be happy to keep him as a 4th OF until I have to release him for making too much money through the arbitration process.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Mackowiak's issues in CF had little to do with athletic ability. He simply didn't get good reads, didn't position himself well, and didn't know the position. Being a good athlete doesn't make you a good CF, it goes well beyond that.

That said, Getz did play 15 games in the outfield for Charlotte last year, all in LF. But that is the sum total of his OF experience in the minors. So even if he has the right raw skills, it would take him a while to adjust to CF, if he ever did.

Yeah, if we convert either Getz or Alexei to center, it would have to be at least after a season of winter ball there. I don't want to live through any more on the job training in season. Been there done that with Mackowiak, and before that with Steve Sax.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
Yeah, if we convert either Getz or Alexei to center, it would have to be at least after a season of winter ball there. I don't want to live through any more on the job training in season. Been there done that with Mackowiak, and before that with Steve Sax.

Alexei played just as much, if not more CF in Cuba than he did SS. He also spent more innings in CF last year than he did SS.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 17, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
I'll just end my thoughts on this subject (like many have said, this is a tired topic and should be put to rest) by saying that I think Chris Young to this point is beyond a shadow of a doubt a better player than BA and at 25 can get better. Brian's upside? I don't know. We haven't seen anything from him yet. We haven't even seen flashes. And it's not simply a case of "The evil Ozzie won't play him more." Quite frankly, Brian has yet to make a case for himself to be an everyday player. He sucked in 2006. He's sent back down to triple AAA in 2007, and instead of making Ozzie look like a fool for going with Erstad, he produces a .255/.318/.435 line. Therefore justifying Ozzie's decision to go with Erstad (although Erstad obviously sucked). Last year, in a role in which he was put in a solid situation to succeed, (I.E. Ozzie cherry picking when he started against mostly mediocre pitching), still couldn't produce better than a .232/.272/.436 line. The excuses get tired after a while. It's on Brian, and only Brian, to force Ozzie's hand.

I actually thought Brian did very well last year, given that he's used to being a starting player and instead was called upon only when needed. He showed fantastic defense in CF and showed pop with the bat in limited spurts. I have no problem with Anderson starting based on last year's performance.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Alexei played just as much, if not more CF in Cuba than he did SS. He also spent more innings in CF last year than he did SS.

I do remember him being out there, but I can't specifically recall any games he played CF or how he did there. Those games were pretty early, weren't they? How was he defensively? As good as he is in the infield? (which I would consider solid enough, but not great).