Midwest Regional

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
If you are a small school and a lower level of opponents the entire season, your record must be stellar or you must win your conference to get in. Its pretty simple actually for them. On a whole, the 2nd place team in those small conferences barely match up with the 4th or 5th place team in major conferences, its just how it is.

Well Creighton did win a share of the MVC and they had 26 wins so they matched those criteria. To put that in some perspective: CU is the only team in the last decade to have at least 26 wins and a top 50 rpi and not make the NCAA's, go figure.

And Jenks, I do think Creighton should have made the field but I also think Zona should have been in over some of the Big 10 teams. Two rpi top 25 wins in the non conference is pretty hard for any bubble team to match. Granted, as you said they had a lot of opportunities but I still don't think you can over look some of those wins.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
If you are a small school and a lower level of opponents the entire season, your record must be stellar or you must win your conference to get in. Its pretty simple actually for them. On a whole, the 2nd place team in those small conferences barely match up with the 4th or 5th place team in major conferences, its just how it is.

I'd also like to add (and let me stress I don't think this is right. And I'm sure most people already know), but don't think for a second the committee doesn't factor in overall talent and who they think people want to see. And I know for one I'd rather watch guys like Jordan Hill, Chase Budinger and Nic Wise over Booker Woodfox and whoever else is on that team. Again, not saying it's right. And I'd probably feel much differently if I were a fan of a mid-major school, but it's reality.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
wake is such a tough team to figure out. i think they're final four good, but they hardly ever play like it.

Indeed. This team has the most devastating combination of size/length/athleticism/depth in the country. And you flat have no idea which team is going to show up. I'm glad I'm not a fan of this team. I'd go f***ing crazy.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
I love Wake, but I see them tripped up in the first round. Cleveland State ain't scared of anyone.

There is literally nothing Wake could do that would shock me. They could win it all, lose in the 1st round, or anything in between, and I wouldn't be surprised too much.

As for this region, the more I look at it, the more I think it's the hardest region of the 4, which of course makes no sense since Louisville is the top overall seed.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
I have a feeling that NDSU will give Kansas trouble, but I can't allow myself to pick that.

I had NDSU over Kansas in all brackets till last minute where I switched it.

Idk why I would pick them, nobody else did I'll go with the safe maneuver.

I didn't pick ND State because I assumed they wouldn't be able to guard/control Aldrich, but he hasn't been the factor I would have expected yet.

Edit: Collins was better than he is capable of, but Aldrich was the difference. Collins vs. Woodside was mostly pretty close. ND State didn't have another dynamic weapon.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
I didn't pick ND State because I assumed they wouldn't be able to guard/control Aldrich, but he hasn't been the factor I would have expected yet.

Edit: Collins was better than he is capable of, but Aldrich was the difference. Collins vs. Woodside was mostly pretty close. ND State didn't have another dynamic weapon.

Collins did too much, utilize Marcus Morris, Tyshawn and Morningstar.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
LMAO@WF. Getting their asses waxed by Cleveland f***ing state. It's still early, but my bracket goes up in flames if they lose tonight. I just can't figure this team out.

my soxtalk bracket takes a huge s*** if that happens.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
My Midwest Bracket will be seriously f***ed if Wake loses.

My only hope is if Louisville runs the table to the Final Four.

How do those 2 thoughts go together? Wake would have to play Louisville in the sweet 16. How does Louisville winning the regional help you?