Sox and Angels, 3:05 pm CT

Jimmywins1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
The White Sox need a back-up catcher that can throw runners out. The only guy that has thrown anyone out is Miller. The others are like a combined 0 for 8. Teams are really going to take advantage of this.

Looking at their numbers in the minors, both Lucy and Armstrong do very well at throwing runners out. I'm not sure the sample size in spring is enough to take anything from it, for either. I don't know Stewart's numbers.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
I'm not a Wise fan or anything, but how is his OBP lower than his BA?

He has a sac fly which does not affect his batting average but drops his OBP. That's what happens when you can't draw a single walk.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
Wise is coming back down to earth, which is exactly what BA needs.

He did last year too towards the end of the season if I remember correctly. He then had a good game in the playoffs, but BA is far superior in my mind. The advantage given to Wise is he hits lefty and BA of course is the righty, but I think in the case of D Wise this is overrated.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
He did last year too towards the end of the season if I remember correctly. He then had a good game in the playoffs, but BA is far superior in my mind. The advantage given to Wise is he hits lefty and BA of course is the righty, but I think in the case of D Wise this is overrated.

The problem with that simple analysis is that Brian has been inconsistent in his career in which guy he hits better. In 2006, for example, Brian was a fair amount better against righties than against lefties. Therefore, we benched him and put in Mack against righties.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Does the broadcast have a speed gun? Otherwise, how can you get a good idea of what he is throwing, versus what was called?

I've decided to pick on Donny Lucy for the day because this is a boring ass game, I need something to do and I've never ripped on Lucy before. I'm sure he's doing a fine job behind the plate, Gavin's been getting behind in the count and leaving pitches up, it's his own damn fault.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Looking at their numbers in the minors, both Lucy and Armstrong do very well at throwing runners out. I'm not sure the sample size in spring is enough to take anything from it, for either. I don't know Stewart's numbers.

Sox catchers have zero chance when Floyd and Contreras are pitching.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
I've decided to pick on Donny Lucy for the day because this is a boring ass game, I need something to do and I've never ripped on Lucy before. I'm sure he's doing a fine job behind the plate, Gavin's been getting behind in the count and leaving pitches up, it's his own damn fault.

Ah. Proceed sir.