Dallas McPherson?

JPN366

Absolutely.

Being a low OBP high SLG guy though, he probably doesn't appeal to the Sox however. We already have enough of those type of hitters, and KW and co. are trying to get away from that.

At the Cell, playing everyday he'd be capable of putting up a +.800OPS if healthy however.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
Absolutely.

Being a low OBP high SLG guy though, he probably doesn't appeal to the Sox however. We already have enough of those type of hitters, and KW and co. are trying to get away from that.

At the Cell, playing everyday he'd be capable of putting up a +.800OPS if healthy however.

His low OBP in the majors is based on a pretty small sample... and he was dealing with injuries during those stints too.

(A year ago we could have made the same argument against Carlos Quentin, who actually had a lower MLB batting average and similar OBP in roughly the same number of at-bats.)

Then look at McPherson's minor league career numbers. 296/.384/.586/.970. Pretty stellar on the OBP side. And with a higher OPS than Quentin's excellent minor league accomplishments (.955). Pretty impressive actually. Worth a shot IMO.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
His low OBP in the majors is based on a pretty small sample... and he was dealing with injuries during those stints too.

(A year ago we could have made the same argument against Carlos Quentin, who actually had a lower MLB batting average and similar OBP in roughly the same number of at-bats.)

Then look at McPherson's minor league career numbers. 296/.384/.586/.970. Pretty stellar on the OBP side. And with a higher OPS than Quentin's excellent minor league accomplishments (.955). Pretty impressive actually. Worth a shot IMO.

You look at those numbers though, and I'd be surprised if a team didn't offer him a major league deal.

Some team like the Mariners or Giants should definitelty have a look at him.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
You look at those numbers though, and I'd be surprised if a team didn't offer him a major league deal.

Some team like the Mariners or Giants should definitelty have a look at him.

Or maybe the Marlins? I wonder why they wouldn't sign him. Emilio Bonifacio can't make anyone that excited there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Or maybe the Marlins? I wonder why they wouldn't sign him. Emilio Bonifacio can't make anyone that excited there.

Because they just released him.

Somehow, I don't think he'll be wanting to go back there.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Because they just released him.

Somehow, I don't think he'll be wanting to go back there.

I know. Was making a point. If the Marlins are releasing him...for the crap they have, at his price...there's a reason.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
Are you implying that McPherson would be a good replacement for Thome?

If he could stay moderately healthy and hit like he has in the minors, sure. I have no idea if either of those would be possible.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)
We're a team who's 1 season away from needing a LH DH.

Mcpherson is gonna be 29 this season. Reclamation projects do not happen at 28 on average. His chances of being anything more than a bench player from this point on... are... well... just not likely. Going into a season with him as the dh would be far worse than wise in center ever could be.

Our left handed bat can be found via free agency. If dye is anywhere close to his numbers last season, this season, there is no doubt in my mind he will be back. The market for outfielders is not exactly thin next year, which would give us the option of making dye the dh, as he has been one of the very worst fielders in the league for several years now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
If he could stay moderately healthy and hit like he has in the minors, sure. I have no idea if either of those would be possible.

His 42 homers were impressive last season until you realize they were in Albuquerque and that he struck out 168 times in 127 games. Konerko hit 37 homers for the same team as a 21 year old and struck out over 100 times less.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Our left handed bat can be found via free agency. If dye is anywhere close to his numbers last season, this season, there is no doubt in my mind he will be back. The market for outfielders is not exactly thin next year, which would give us the option of making dye the dh, as he has been one of the very worst fielders in the league for several years now.

Dye has an $11 million option for next year. After we saw what the market for older, weak on defense power hitting OF's did this season, where Abreu and Dunn could barely find jobs on short deals and where Dye became untradeable and expensive, it's going to take an economic miracle for Dye's option to be picked up. The only way he'll be back is if he really, really wants to stay and will take like a 1 year, $5 million deal after his contract is bought out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
Dye has an $11 million option for next year. After we saw what the market for older, weak on defense power hitting OF's did this season, where Abreu and Dunn could barely find jobs on short deals and where Dye became untradeable and expensive, it's going to take an economic miracle for Dye's option to be picked up. The only way he'll be back is if he really, really wants to stay and will take like a 1 year, $5 million deal after his contract is bought out.

I didn't say in what way he would be back, just that he would be back. Loyalty in sports is hard to come by, but there are always aberrations. Some players actually will take cuts even when they don't have to because they know it is for the greater good... and they also realize their millions are made, getting older, and want a shot at the ultimate goal. Dye has been nothing but a class act his entire tenure on and off the field, i just do not envision it changing any time soon.

To the group of people that seem to have recently become enamored with our prospects: Dallas McPherson was a bigger prospect than any prospect the White Sox have had since Frank.

I'd give the kid a big league contract if that is what it took.

Coop'll fixem!

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
To the group of people that seem to have recently become enamored with our prospects: Dallas McPherson was a bigger prospect than any prospect the White Sox have had since Frank.

I'd give the kid a big league contract if that is what it took.

Coop'll fixem!

Past tense.

Yea I remember him from the Angels org. when he was the next big thing. Citadel guy as well, pretty high potential and still has. Can be a real late bloomer, still hasn't really gotten a "true" shot at the bigs. He'll help Charlotte's playoff chances that's for sure not to mention a potential callup if Fields struggles or if Viciedo isn't quite ready though i'm sure he'll probably be pretty low on their depth chart..