Do the Tigers have the best pitching in the ALCD?

caulfield12

1. Verlander

2. Galarraga

3. Porcello

4. Edwin Jackson

5. Miner

Depth: Bonderman, Willis, Robertson

Closers: Lyon, Rodney (eventually Perry)

Of course, the Twins would seem to have the better overall depth, and Liriano, if he returns even close to 2006 form, should be a Cy Young candidate again...and the back of that rotation at 4/5 is "mehhh," but it's definitely better than the Royals, Indians and probably the White Sox, too.

Not to mention that Zumaya MIGHT actually return to health, that's a very nasty/imposing bullpen. Plus they have Dolsi in the minors now.

I think many scouts in baseball would take that pitching staff over ours...I think the Tigers could still be very dangerous if they get off to a good start and Bonderman returns to something approximating his past stuff (which hasn't really translated into results, like Mr. Vazquez with the Sox).

Don't think we should be sleeping on the Royals here...

Greinke and Meche are solid at the top, and they've got some upside in Davies and Hochevar.

Their pen is likely the best in the division as long as the crazies don't flip out. Farnsworth, Cruz, and Soria is a pretty strong top 3 in the pen.

I'm not going to say they've got the best pitching, but it's certainly not the worst. All things said I'd probably put it this way:

1. Twins

2. White Sox

3. Royals

4. Detroit

5. Cleveland

Let me see...things that totally came out of somewhere between no where and almost no where in pitching staffs in the AL Central last season:

1. Justin Verlander imploding

2. Cliff Lee going from barely making the team to winning the Cy Young

3. Fausto Carmona going from barely missing the Cy Young to barely making the team

4. 18 wins from Gavin Floyd, dominant season from John Danks

5. Greinke and Meche stepping up big time. The Royals bullpen starting to come together (Soria)

You might have predicted some of those, but really, who saw more than 1 or 2? The only constants in this division are Mark Buerhle, Bobby Jenks, and anyone who pitches for the Twins.

I'm just going to shut up and watch the games. I have no idea how this division will turn out. Any team in that pool could have the best starting rotation in there. Cleveland could have 2 Cy Young winners or could have the worst 1-5 in baseball. The Royals could keep growing or could fall apart. Colon and Contreras could struggle and Danks and Floyd could have lots-of-innings related setbacks, or every one in that rotation could win 15 games. Justin Verlander could have an ERA under 3 or over 5.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
Well the Royals have Horacio Ramirez in their starting rotation. So they are last.

Actually I think they have Ponson and Bannister as the #4/#5 at this point. However, replace Sidney Ponson with Horacio Ramirez in your statement, and you've got a point. Hochevar won't be in the minors for long, I'd imagine though. So by June, you have to think it'd be Greinke, Meche, Davies, Bannister, Hochevar. That's not too shabby.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Nah, Bannistery and Hovecher both got sent down. It's Ponson then HoRam. The Royals bullpen is slightly stronger this year then last year, but their back end of the rotation is unforgivable.

That doesn't mean it will last. And there's significant benefits for small market teams to keep guys like that in the minors a little longer so that the team gets an extra year of arbitration eligibility. It's budgetary hardball, nothing else.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
That doesn't mean it will last. And there's significant benefits for small market teams to keep guys like that in the minors a little longer so that the team gets an extra year of arbitration eligibility. It's budgetary hardball, nothing else.

Is their any financial upside to sending Bannister down? I know he sucks, but's he better then their other option. Hovecher makes a little more sense, but the fact is that the Royals have their best chance in years to compete right now, and they seem to be getting in their own way again.

If Baker AND Mauer are out for an extended period of time...Minnesota will be in some trouble.

Then again, never count them plucking a gritty grinder from AAA or yet another Boof Bonser from that minor league system that somehow manages a 3.75-4.25 ERA in his rookie campaign.

Redmond will be fine for awhile, he's one of the best back-up catchers in all of baseball, but you have to wonder how Morneau will be affected...why even bother pitching to that guy? It's going to be incumbent on Cuddyer and Young to pick it up and protect him, as well as Jason Kubel.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
Is their any financial upside to sending Bannister down? I know he sucks, but's he better then their other option. Hovecher makes a little more sense, but the fact is that the Royals have their best chance in years to compete right now, and they seem to be getting in their own way again.

Bannister was something like 2-9 with a 6.91 ERA in the second half last season, but you'd have to think he would somehow be better than the likes of Luke Hudson, Brandon Duckworth, Ramirez and Ponson.

Ponson at least pitched well in the WBC, but Ramirez? They might have been better off with Odalis Perez or Jorge De La Rosa...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
Bannister was something like 2-9 with a 6.91 ERA in the second half last season, but you'd have to think he would somehow be better than the likes of Luke Hudson, Brandon Duckworth, Ramirez and Ponson.

Ponson at least pitched well in the WBC, but Ramirez? They might have been better off with Odalis Perez or Jorge De La Rosa...

He doesnt even have to beat out Hudson, Hudson retired from baseball two days ago

• 1 month later...

I think it would be hard to argue against this point, as well as the Tigers being the favorite to win the division.

They have the best bullpen (for now), a good offense with veterans interspersed with younger players in their primes (Cabrera, Inge, Granderson) and the rotation becomes awfully tough if Willis can pitch as well as he did tonight on a consistent basis. They're doing this without much of a contribution at all from Magglio and Carlos Guillen.

With Verlander back to his 2006 form, Galarraga struggling but a tough pitcher nonetheless, Edwin Jackson, Porcello, Willis, Zach Miner and Jeremy Bonderman rehabbing right now, they have to be the odds-on Vegas favorites.

Getting rid of Sheffield undoubtedly has done wonders for that clubhouse, as well.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
Their staff blows.

I doubt Porcello is ready, Verlander is forever overrated, Jackson had a 1.51 WHIP last year and his ERA will probably approach 5.

The only one I like somewhat is Galarraga.