Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took a look at the Bristol and GF rosters online, and they are still stale, just shows the guys from last year that didn't already move to other teams or organizations.

Anyone recall when those clubs post their rosters? Obviously they won't have the draft picks on there right away until after they sign, but certainly some guys will move form one to the other, and they start play in just a week.

You'll see a flurry of guys get signed shortly and than as guys get signed there names will be added to the rosters. Per FutureSox Twitter, Chris Cron has indicated that Josh Phelgey, Brian Morgado, and Kyle Bellamy will be on the Great Falls roster when they sign. I would expect Phelgey to potentially make it to Kanny by the time the season is done (if he signs quickly). Bellamy also has the potential to jump up quickly to the next level. Morgado is more of a project so I figure he'll stay in Great Falls.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Bristol will get guys like Holmberg and some of the other prep arms we signed. If we get Thompson signed soon you'll see him in Bristol as well.

If Phegley is in GF, where does Dubler fall? He started horribly last year, but picked it up late. He was a high round pick. You really think he gets jumped already, and repeats Bristol? If so, where do you put that low round catcher they drafted?

Looking at the Sox catching depth below AA, its bad. The starters are Ricks in A+ and Curtis in A-, neither of which are real prospects.

I therefore thought we'd see Dubler hit Kanny, Phegley in GF and that 30th round catcher whose name escapes me in Bristol. But for whatever reason, Dubler hasn't been in Kanny.

I think Phelgey is going to get the bulk of the at bats. There is a huge difference between a 2nd round pick and an 8th round pick. Phegley also has a very ready bat. I guess it depends on what the club thinks of Dubler. There isn't any harm to having him work with the high school pitchers in Bristol or being in Great Falls as a backup for a short time until Phegley moves up to Kanny.

However, since Dubler, an 8th round pick out of college, didn't end up playing in Kanny at all this season, I'd say the Sox aren't that high on him or he's out with some sort of injury none of us are aware of. It isn't a good sign if a college player repeats short season, unless it is because of an injury.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
I just took a look at the Bristol and GF rosters online, and they are still stale, just shows the guys from last year that didn't already move to other teams or organizations.

Anyone recall when those clubs post their rosters? Obviously they won't have the draft picks on there right away until after they sign, but certainly some guys will move form one to the other, and they start play in just a week.

The rookie short-season leagues begin on June 23rd.

Don't be surprised if the updated rosters aren't posted before then.

It's pretty common that they go up at the last minute.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
I think Phelgey is going to get the bulk of the at bats. There is a huge difference between a 2nd round pick and an 8th round pick. Phegley also has a very ready bat. I guess it depends on what the club thinks of Dubler. There isn't any harm to having him work with the high school pitchers in Bristol or being in Great Falls as a backup for a short time until Phegley moves up to Kanny.

However, since Dubler, an 8th round pick out of college, didn't end up playing in Kanny at all this season, I'd say the Sox aren't that high on him or he's out with some sort of injury none of us are aware of. It isn't a good sign if a college player repeats short season, unless it is because of an injury.

As of right now, there are roster spots available at Winston-Salem and Charlotte, so players may move up and some rookie leaguers from last year may join the A ball teams. In fact, the Dash have had a n open spot for almost a week and nobody's filled it.

Edited by JPN366

Just more good stuff to read about the Barons, from MiLB.com:

Birmingham Barons (Chicago White Sox)

THE WEEK THAT WAS: The Barons (42-20) clinched their second consecutive South Division first-half title and earned their eighth playoff berth in 10 years. Birmingham led second-place Mobile by eight games. The Barons finished a 5-1 week with four straight victories at Mississippi.

WHO'S HOT, WHO'S NOT: RHP Lucas Harrell led the league with an 8-2 record, while RHP Brian Omogrosso was second in wins at 7-2. ... LHP Aaron Poreda was called up by the White Sox after going 5-4 with a 2.38 ERA. ... OF David Cook was hitting .327 in June with five homers and 16 RBIs in 12 games. ... 1B Brandon Allen, batting .295, had a four-hit game and a three-hit effort, driving in three runs each time. ... C Tyler Flowers has a .317 average in June and led the league with 41 walks.

PLAYER TO WATCH: 2B C.J. Retherford was an unsung key contributor to the Barons' first-half title, batting .312 with 19 doubles, three triples, six homers and 36 RBIs. He hit .312 in April, .315 in May and was batting .300 in June. Retherford, 23, went undrafted out of Arizona State in 2007 and played 3B last season at Winston-Salem, hitting .295 with 16 homers in the Carolina League.

PERFORMANCE OF WEEK: RHP Charles Shirek pitched seven scoreless innings in his Double-A debut, limiting Mississippi to three hits in the 4-1 victory. He walked one and struck out one. Shirek, 23, was 8-1 with a 3.88 ERA in 11 starts for Winston-Salem in the Carolina League. He had 44 strikeouts and 16 walks in 65 innings for the Dash.

I wonder whose going to be on the Barons for the playoff run after the second half? If I had to guess I’d say Vicideo, and Shelby will be the primary two offensive mainstays with Hudson, Shirek, and Marrero coming (or in Shirek's) case staying with the team, while a fair few like, Cook, Mcculloch, Danks, Flowers, Allen, Retherford, Gartrell either being in AAA or with the big league club.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)
I'll be stunned if that many of the Barons get promoted this year.

In the past I’d agree, but the Buddy Bell system seems to see AAA as a step on the ladder rather then something that can simply be skipped over. I'd be surprised like you, pleasantly so, but there's a decent chance that we see Flowers and Danksy up in AAA, depending on both the big league team, and whether Lucy, Armstrong, Kroeger or Restovich actually mean anything to the organization anymore.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
The jist I have gotten from the organization is that they really value the elite group of prospects playing together in a winning environment. To go along with that, you have seen Beckham and Poreda both get the call from AA to the majors, without a stop at Charlotte. I'll be surprised to see a broken up Barons squad come playoff time.

Beckham played about a week in Charlotte, but i agree with your general sentiments.

BriSox preview

The article talked about the manager and Upchurch, but there was an interesting quote from him: "Hopefully, I won’t stay down here long and get moved up to [Low-Class A] Kannapolis."

I like the cockiness. I wonder if it was something they told him if he did well. Maybe they were saving his arm and wanted to keep him away from the hitter's park (and league for the most part) in Great Falls.