Predict which player is gone first, and who replaces him

caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
Our depth at nearly every position is pathetic this season. That's what happens when you don't spend any money during the offseason. It's funny that the Sox really thought Viciedo would contribute at the MLB level this season.

While I agree with you on one count, think of it this way...as someone said, the AAA team is not so good, which is usually cast off MLBers and AAAAers. AA, which is usually the future of the franchise is stocked. But, most of those players, at least for the Sox, need some seasoning and I don't think will be called up, except for September. So, we are stuck with the cast-offs, most of which we got through a trade or free agent signing. With the economy in the tank and MLB feeling the effects, probably more so in 2010, the White Sox made a choice and that choice was (for the most part), stick with the core starters, let the dead weight go and let the system replace them. Then, stock for the future. Does it suck? Sure it does. The Sox may not win this year, but that isn't going to be because of Owens, Lilli, Betemit or Miller.

I guess my point is (after much rambling), if the biggest problem is the bench, then the Sox aren't that bad.

Did Lillibridge actually get hits in spring training? I can't picture the guy actually ripping a base hit.

He's 6 for 41 though he does have 8 walks. With no RBIs of course. He has scored 6 runs.

Last year for the Braves he was 16 for 80 with 8 RBIs.

So he's a little below his awful start of a year ago. He did get those two hits against Tampa on April 19.

Edited by greg775

I like what Ozzie had to say to Lillibridge:

The Sox could shift Brent Lillibridge to the outfield, but manager Ozzie Guillen said he spoke with Lillibridge before the game about cutting down his long swing.

“I just had a pretty good conversation with him," Guillen said before Wednesday's game. "If he does what he’s supposed to do, he will make $12 to $15 million in this game. But if he does what he’s doing right now, he might end up in Korea playing. He’s not using his ability. When you’re a utility player and you play second, shortstop and center field good, and you have that kind of speed, you will last in the big leagues.

"I don’t expect him to hit .390, I don’t expect him to be the guy on this ballclub, I expect him to do the little things. That’s the reason we brought him here. We talked about it. (Hitting coach) Greg Walker was in the meeting. We told him what we expect from him and that’s the reason he made this ballclub, because he can do a lot of things to help us.’’

Translation: Ozzie loves speed so much it is going to kill him to dump Lillibridge.

Walker was in the meeting as well. Translation: "Walker work with this guy now."

Bottom line: Lillibridge is fast but can't hit. Can he learn how to hit?

So we have some roster moves coming up today or tomorrow. Thome is going to test the heel today, supposedly, and may go to the DL... Owens packed up his stuff and left yesterday... Anderson is maybe hurt, possibly just sore... and Getz is hoping to come back.

My predictions...

--Getz comes back Friday and plays.

--Owens gets outrighted, Pods takes his place

--Anderson just rests for a few days, which gives Pods a few games starting

--Thome I am not sure on. I'd guess he'll be ready to go, and its a non-issue. If he goes to the DL, we'll get Andy Phillips added to the team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
So we have some roster moves coming up today or tomorrow. Thome is going to test the heel today, supposedly, and may go to the DL... Owens packed up his stuff and left yesterday... Anderson is maybe hurt, possibly just sore... and Getz is hoping to come back.

My predictions...

--Getz comes back Friday and plays.

--Owens gets outrighted, Pods takes his place

--Anderson just rests for a few days, which gives Pods a few games starting

--Thome I am not sure on. I'd guess he'll be ready to go, and its a non-issue. If he goes to the DL, we'll get Andy Phillips added to the team.

If Thome and BA are out, with MacDougal and Owens probably off the roster, who are we going to blame if the Whtie Sox ever lose?

I think Lillibridge will come around, he put up decent numbers two seasons ago but after coming back from an injury last season he has been a mess at the plate which seems to more related to mechanics than talent.

It appears that Owens is gone and Pods is on the way up, and if Anderson and Thome make DL trips that will bring up Nix and maybe the recently acquired Andy Phillips.

Pods would last in CF about two days until he pulled a hamstring or something. I think Nix can play LF but not sure about CF, and so Lillibridge may be the only viable option for CF for a couple weeks unless Betemit is going to be play SS.