Players wearing mouthpieces

RockRaines

Manny was spotted wearing one in the playoffs last year. But it appears most of the members of the White Sox are wearing some sort of mouthpiece. Buehrle took his out tonight before talking about his no hitter on sportsnite. I noticed AJ and Getz with them.

Anyone able to shed some light on what the function of these small mouthpieces is?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:06 AM)
Manny was spotted wearing one in the playoffs last year. But it appears most of the members of the White Sox are wearing some sort of mouthpiece. Buehrle took his out tonight before talking about his no hitter on sportsnite. I noticed AJ and Getz with them.

Anyone able to shed some light on what the function of these small mouthpieces is?

I can understand AJ as it'd protect him in case of balls off his mask, but I don't know about Getz or MB or others. Seems kind of pointless. Maybe it's a superstitious thing?

Mouthpieces are used as a precautionary tool in most sports. If you take a knock on the head and have one in then your chances of getting a concussion are drastically decreased. I think they should be mandatory in just about any sport.

You never know when you're going to have a collision so they probably just wear them the whole game. It's a smart move, lots of basketball players have taken to wearing them now as well.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
been asking this for weeks. Probably is the concussion thing.

What about the metal necklaces? Is that just the same BS about "magnetic healing"?

I can almost guarantee that they wear the mouthpieces to protect from concussions. As far as the necklaces I have no f-ing idea. For some reason baseball players wear necklaces a lot of the time, especially pitchers. Some wear the bling necklaces, some the shell necklaces, and a lot of guys wear team color plastic ones. I'm not sure where the trend came from, I'd be interested to know.

Nevermind, here's your answer. They're not plastic, they're rubber coated titanium liquid or some s*** likke that. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,114513

Edited by bighurt4life

QUOTE (TLAK @ May 8, 2009 -> 06:21 AM)
Could it be to avoid getting their f***ing teeth knock out?

They arent that type of mouthpiece. The are almost a dental form-fit plastic piece with an extended blue color padding only for the back few teeth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 8, 2009 -> 06:18 AM)
I think biting on it is supposed to increase concentration or relax the rest of you in some way.

I thought I heard this as the reasoning too. Just searched and came up with this...

The Pure Power Mouthguard, which is what Byrnes wears, was developed by Anil Makkar, a Nova Scotia-based dentist who has studied neuromuscular dentistry. He told the Canadian Press last October that the mouthguard doesn't increase strength, but that it can unlock an athlete's potential by enhancing strength, balance, endurance and oxygen flow.

"The jaw joint is actually the focus of power in the body because that is the most used joint in the whole body," Makkar said. "So what we're basically doing is trying to find the most comfortable position of that lower jaw. ... It relaxes all the muscles in the face and allows you (to) use more of your upper and lower body strength."

Full article

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...html?&wired

I noticed that to. Doesn't really make a difference. Makes sense for mainly catchers, but otherwise, it seems as just a precautionary. Maybe KW wants the players to wear them to prevent injury, kind of like how most NFL and College Football teams have their linemen wear knee braces.