Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

Jake Peavy turns a, what.. at best 81-81 team into maybe an 84-78 team?

I guess being that he has 3-4 more years on his contract, it would make us better down the road but for this year?

I'd still s*** my pants if it happened, but I have a feeling this is just BS by some guy who knew he could stir the pot after one of his previous predictions (Garland/Cabrera)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
It would but I wouldn't rule it out. Remember KW told Gio to his face (and gave him his word) he wouldn't trade him again, then look what happened. It's a buisness. Don't wanna go too far on this speculation though. I'm a big Danks2 fan, he's really improving (cut down his K rate, taking walks, hitting solid shots etc.) But other than Slayer (which I'd really hate) and Flowers (sox brass are insanely high on him; also to note I doubt SD would want Allen since they have a 1B spect) everyone else is up. I'll be sad though if they break up the Dominion boys.

All in all... I highly doubt were getting Peavy. Anyone check out his home/road splits?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...=Career&t=p

About a run higher on the road, but he always has a good K/9 ratio which is important. Anyone see the gb/fb ratio, that's what's really imporant if you're coming to the Cell as your home park

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
Peavy is good because he

1) Pitches in the NL

2) Pitches in the NL West

3) Pitches in Petco Park

Bring him here and his ERA is gonna be about a point higher. Is that worth his contract and our prospects?

12/12/07: Signed three-year, $52 million extension w/2013 club option and limited NTC. 2009: $8 million club option w/$500,000 buyout, 2010: $15 million, 2011: $16 million, 2012: $17 million, 2013: $22 million club option w/$4 million buyout, 2014: Free Agent

ERA + is ballpark/league adjusted, and he's a career 120. Now, he has a 103 this year, which isn't very good, but I believe that's on the upswing. Don't forget, as long as he isn't a heavy fly ball pitcher, the opponents pitcher pitches the same game in the Cell too.

The question is to me....what is more believable...

1. The Sox are in a rebuilding year.

2. Sox think they are close enough that they would add a big money pitcher and send what could possibly be a big part of the future.

hmm let me think about that...yeah I think i will go with 1.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)

2. Sox think they are close enough that they would add a big money pitcher and send what could possibly be a big part of the future.

hmm let me think about that.

well, he's under a deal for a few more years, so it's not like he's walking at the end of the year, and I think if something like this goes down, the 4 picks in the draft have a lot to do with it, help reload.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)

hmm let me think about that.

I'm not close to believing that rumor but, landing Peavy for 3 1/2 years solves us a lot of rotation problems we face after the season ends.

Contreras last year, Colon last year, then we need to worry about 5th starter for next season instead of 2.

That gives the Sox 4 long term starters, 3 of which are at a fixed price. I don't mind it. I like Richards and Poreda looks like a nice reliever, but I accept both of those guys going, the big question to me is who are the PTBNL. If its Danks and Beckham hell no, heck, even if its Danks and Hudson or Carter I'd have my doubts. Not because I don't think Peavy is badass, but rather that Peavy's contract is expensive so anyone willing to take on 18.5M in this economy certainly wouldn't have to give up 4 big leaguers, all of which are freaking CHEAP.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...=Career&t=p

About a run higher on the road, but he always has a good K/9 ratio which is important. Anyone see the gb/fb ratio, that's what's really imporant if you're coming to the Cell as your home park

His career GB/FB ratio is 1.08. Not great. But it doesn't have to be when you have career K/9, BB/9 and K/BB rates of 9.02, 2.90 and 3.11.

If he gets dealt that $22M option is gonna have to be exercised as incentive to waive his NTC. So that's an $18.5M pitcher right there. That makes his contract the 3rd highest in the history of the game in terms of average annual value for a starting pitcher on a multi-year deal.

I do look forward to coming back to this thread 15 hours from now and seeing the 300 or so posts that will be made over that time span. I'm sure there will be at least 1 completely off topic argument.

My guess would be the PTBNL would be on a list which would allow the Pads to do some extra scouting. There is just no f***ing way Beckham goes and I'd have to think Danks is pretty untouchable as well as Flowers (at least based on what was told to our Soxtalk guys that were at the event with Rick Hahn last night). Hudson I really really like though, I think he'll make a quick impact and projects as that potential 5th starter.

The best part is, you trade some of these guys and with a good draft your right back where you were, if not better off, assuming the Sox can hold some of there guys. I also assume Viciedo isn't an option. I'd personally offer up Fields, but I have no idea if the Pads have a need at 3B.

I think 2004 proved that Williams is not afraid to add a pitcher with some type of long term deal, even if it is a somewhat substantial amount of money, even in a rebuilding year. The Sox sent 3 prospects (if you will...Reed was really the only prospect at that point in time) for Freddy Garcia and then signed him to an extension, and then the Sox traded for Contreras too, and even though the Yankees took on some of the burden of the contract, the Sox were still on the books for quite a bit of it (I believe around 75%, which equated out to anywhere from $6-8 mill a year).

I'm not going to get worked up until he actually happens, just throwing it out there.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
That gives the Sox 4 long term starters, 3 of which are at a fixed price. I don't mind it. I like Richards and Poreda looks like a nice reliever, but I accept both of those guys going, the big question to me is who are the PTBNL. If its Danks and Beckham hell no, heck, even if its Danks and Hudson or Carter I'd have my doubts. Not because I don't think Peavy is badass, but rather that Peavy's contract is expensive so anyone willing to take on 18.5M in this economy certainly wouldn't have to give up 4 big leaguers, all of which are freaking CHEAP.

Can somebody explain to me the love affair with Jordan Danks? I'm not trying to be a smartass here. His college stats certainly weren't mind-blowing. And haven't we learned with guys like Chris Young and Josh Fields that guys who K that much at the minor level are destined to suck at the ML level (and I'm officially off the Chris Young bandwagon. He f***in' blows).

It is a good time to make a move and with an improved rotation this team has a chance, but it also means Kenny probably has a bit of a hole to fill at the top of the order. That said, even if the Sox are looking at this as a retooling year where they hope to compete but looking forward, the one thing this organization lacks is the front line starting pitcher to go with the current crop and Peavy would be that. If danks/Floyd pitch up to there capabalities and Buehrle and PEavy are themselves, thats a f***ing sick rotation with Colon as the 5th for the time being, Contreras as a plan B.

According to my somewhat simple calculations based on kalapse's payroll spreadsheet, unless new contracts are offered in the 2009 offseason, the following players (or just their contracts) will no longer be on the books for 2010:

Jim Thome

Jermaine Dye

Octavio Dotel

Matt Thornton

Mike MacDougal (He was released, but we're still paying his salary for this year right? 2.65m)

Wilson Betemit

Jose Contreras

That's around 40-43 million, please correct any mistakes if I made any

That's a f***ing ton of money right there

The more I think about it, the less I want this trade to happen. Peavy's contract is huge, and that will really damper our ability to upgrade the offense. If we do decide to go young, it will be 3-4 years before those players come into their own, and by that time, Peavy and Buehrle will have their deals expire.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
Can somebody explain to me the love affair with Jordan Danks? I'm not trying to be a smartass here. His college stats certainly weren't mind-blowing. And haven't we learned with guys like Chris Young and Josh Fields that guys who K that much at the minor level are destined to suck at the ML level (and I'm officially off the Chris Young bandwagon. He f***in' blows).

The guy is one of the premiere athletes in the minors. Your talking about a gold glove caliber defender and a guy with a very pretty swing who has at least 15-25 HR power and if he learns to turn on the inside pitches, 30 HR power. You dont' give up a guy like that, absolutely not, especially if your already giving up other guys and when you factor in the Sox significant needs for a legit CFer, it makes me want him more.

And say what you want about the strikeouts, but Jordan Danks is a far more polished hitter than a Josh Fields or Chris Young. He has a stroke that projects to hit for a higher average and as he develops should be a solid OBP guy as well. Bottom line you are talking about a potential .280-.310, 20-30 HR, 90 RBI, 20-30 SB, .350-.380 OBP, type of guy all while playing a plus CF. Yeah, thats the potential to be one of the best CFer's in the game, maybe our Curtis Granderson. It's not all in the college stats my friend and that is coming from someone thats seen him a few times in person and many more times on TV.

Just when I thought the White Sox were actually taking the developmental route, this comes along. I think KW is just too impatient to let players develop in the minors. I like Jake Peavy, but I'd hate to see Poreda traded, or any of the current Barons. Just my two cents.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
The more I think about it, the less I want this trade to happen. Peavy's contract is huge, and that will really damper our ability to upgrade the offense. If we do decide to go young, it will be 3-4 years before those players come into their own, and by that time, Peavy and Buehrle will have their deals expire.

Fathom, the one thing is, the Sox should hvae a cheap offense. Viciedo is a f***ing beast and I mean it. Allen looks like a solid prospect too and everything I'm hearing is that he's becoming a very complete hitter. Massive power potential. Flower is a great looking hitter. Shelby has upside and a chance, far less of a success rate compared to the others and than Danks with upside too. Match that with Quentin/Ramirez/Getz and it makes very much sense to have your money invest more in the rotation.

THan in terms of the pen you got arms like Omogrosso/Link etc and still guys like Leesman and others. Bottom line you still have a nice looking system and plenty of options. I really love this idea as long as the Sox are only giving up a max of one guy in there top 5 prospect group to go with Richard/Poreda because I think both of those guys are extremely valuable. At worse your talking about two guys that are upper echelon relievers for a long time, imo or at least a decent shot at that and if they pan out, you got two nice looking starters.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
Fathom, the one thing is, the Sox should hvae a cheap offense. Viciedo is a f***ing beast and I mean it. Allen looks like a solid prospect too and everything I'm hearing is that he's becoming a very complete hitter. Massive power potential. Flower is a great looking hitter. Shelby has upside and a chance, far less of a success rate compared to the others and than Danks with upside too. Match that with Quentin/Ramirez/Getz and it makes very much sense to have your money invest more in the rotation.

THan in terms of the pen you got arms like Omogrosso/Link etc and still guys like Leesman and others. Bottom line you still have a nice looking system and plenty of options. I really love this idea as long as the Sox are only giving up a max of one guy in there top 5 prospect group to go with Richard/Poreda because I think both of those guys are extremely valuable. At worse your talking about two guys that are upper echelon relievers for a long time, imo or at least a decent shot at that and if they pan out, you got two nice looking starters.

I agree, if any other top prospect is involved, then it's a bad deal for the White Sox. I don't think Allen, Flowers, Danks, Beckham, Retherford, Viciedo or Shelby are expendable.

Two days ago we are talking about blowing up the team. Now, we are talking blockbuster move. Something tells me its bogus, though. Why would the Padres do this move now? They can wait and jack up the asking price. I don't buy what that dude was selling.