The Great Brian Anderson Debacle

Steve9347

QUOTE (almagest @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
If we're going to DFA Wise, why is he playing? We know when Quentin will be back, Pods is already in the lineup so at least we have "speed", and Anderson can at least play good defense in CF. Why even give a player who won't be on your roster in a week at-bats?

Because we don't know when CQ will be back, we can only guess. Also, if you DFA Wise first, you then have to pull a player up for just a week or two - Lillibridge or Kroeger or whomever - and then option them back down, which seems like a waste of an option to me.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (almagest @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
If we're going to DFA Wise, why is he playing? We know when Quentin will be back, Pods is already in the lineup so at least we have "speed", and Anderson can at least play good defense in CF. Why even give a player who won't be on your roster in a week at-bats?

To give him a chance to keep his spot on the roster. Ozzie said a guy wouldn't lose their starting position due to injury, and he's sticking to that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Because we don't know when CQ will be back, we can only guess. Also, if you DFA Wise first, you then have to pull a player up for just a week or two - Lillibridge or Kroeger or whomever - and then option them back down, which seems like a waste of an option to me.

Calling up Lillibridge shouldn't use up an option if I understand the rules correctly.

Calling up and sending down Kroeger would require him to pass through waivers though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
If Anderson's sick it makes sense.

But the real answer to your question is that Wise is the starter and you don't lose your starting job for injury, so Wise is going to remain the starter.

And he's not getting DFA'd. Just watch.

Watch Whisler be sent down. With Quentin's shaky health, I wouldn't mind have 2 back-up outfielders.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
Watch Whisler be sent down. With Quentin's shaky health, I wouldn't mind have 2 back-up outfielders.

Speaking of which, I saw the box, looks like Whisler put in a good inning. Anyone actually get to watch him? How did he look?

QUOTE (almagest @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)

I love Anderson as much as the next guy, but Guillen has a never ending vendetta against him, and that's what pisses me off with all this. It's not that Andersno is slightly better than Wise (even though he is WAY better). The better player should be out there, not the guy Guillen likes more for whatever reason. '

Guillen is trying to get Wise a lot of playing time now for these two weeks b/c if Wise gets hot, when Quentin comes up, he finally has an excuse to get Anderson off this roster. Guillen is sitting there and praying Wise has the 2 weeks of his life so nobody can say anything when he keeps Wise instead of BA. Unfortunately, Wise just isn't good enough to do it.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I love Anderson as much as the next guy, but Guillen has a never ending vendetta against him, and that's what pisses me off with all this. It's not that Andersno is slightly better than Wise (even though he is WAY better). The better player should be out there, not the guy Guillen likes more for whatever reason. '

Guillen is trying to get Wise a lot of playing time now for these two weeks b/c if Wise gets hot, when Quentin comes up, he finally has an excuse to get Anderson off this roster. Guillen is sitting there and praying Wise has the 2 weeks of his life so nobody can say anything when he keeps Wise instead of BA. Unfortunately, Wise just isn't good enough to do it.

I'm all for saying that Ozzie likes Wise more than his play justifies, but this is a bit much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
I can't believe people are so blind as to what will happen. CQ returns on 6/10, and Wise is likely DFA'd (even though it could end up being Betemit). Pods will become our starting CF, and Anderson will be our 4th outfielder. He'll play for CQ when he's hurt and give Pods a break once a week.

This is exactly what I said would happen when Pods came up here, and this is exactly what will happen.

Please trade Brian Anderson already. This situation has been ridiculous for 4 straight years. Let the kid move on.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Please trade Brian Anderson already. This situation has been ridiculous for 4 straight years. Let the kid move on.

No one will give you a reasonable return for a guy who seems like he's on the .270 average, 15-20 home run, excellent defense, still pre-arb track when they think they can steal him from you because he's lost on your bench.

The title of this thread is perfect, as not only has Ozzie's handling of the CF position since Rowand left been a debacle, but the career of Brian Anderson has been a debacle also. So much debate has taken place on this board about Anderson, and hopefully we acquire a leadoff CF this offseason.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Special K @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)

that doesn't make any sense to me. First off, if Guillen wanted Anderson off the roster, he'd be off the roster. I don't think he needs an excuse. Secondly, OG would be much happier if Anderson would be hitting .320, showing some power, and playing heads up baseball. I'm sure Guillen wants to win as many games as possible and,if BA gave him the best chance to do it,he'd be out there playing everyday. I mean do you really think Ozzie is making out the lineup card saying,"you know we have a better chance to win the Anderson out there, but i don't like him so i'll put Wise out there and hope we win anyway" ? He didn't like Cabrera last year but OC played about every game.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
I'm all for saying that Ozzie likes Wise more than his play justifies, but this is a bit much.

I'm not so sure about that.

Ozzie sees Javy sucks when it counts, so Javy is off the team.

Ozzie hates Swisher's attitude, so he's gone.

Ozzie see Boone Logan, Mike MacDougal, etc. all sucking ass so they are gone.

Ozzie sees Jerry Owens and DeWayne Wise sucking so he gives them more playing time.

Something doesn't quite fit.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
I'm not so sure about that.

Ozzie sees Javy sucks when it counts, so Javy is off the team.

Ozzie hates Swisher's attitude, so he's gone.

Ozzie see Boone Logan, Mike MacDougal, etc. all sucking ass so they are gone.

Ozzie sees Jerry Owens and DeWayne Wise sucking so he gives them more playing time.

Something doesn't quite fit.

:unsure:

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I'm sure Guillen wants to win as many games as possible and,if BA gave him the best chance to do it,he'd be out there playing everyday.

Frankly, after watching how Anderson was handled in 2006, I don't believe that at all. I'd love to be proven wrong one of these years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
No one will give you a reasonable return for a guy who seems like he's on the .270 average, 15-20 home run, excellent defense, still pre-arb track when they think they can steal him from you because he's lost on your bench.

I don't even care about that. Give him away for absolutely nothing. The kid deserves a chance to play and if Ozzie won't start him in the sorriest CF situation in all of baseball then Ozzie & Kenny need to f*** off already and give him a chance elsewhere.

If the Sox have believed since 2006 that Rob Mackowiak, Darin Erstad, DeWayne Wise, Jerry Owens, and Scott Podsednik were all better CF options than BA then get BA out of here and run out grinder du jour for the next two seasons for all I care since they're just going to do it anyway.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
I don't even care about that. Give him away for absolutely nothing. The kid deserves a chance to play and if Ozzie won't start him in the sorriest CF situation in all of baseball then Ozzie & Kenny need to f*** off already and give him a chance elsewhere.

If the Sox have believed since 2006 that Rob Mackowiak, Darin Erstad, DeWayne Wise, Jerry Owens, and Scott Podsednik were all better CF options than BA then get BA out of here and run out grinder du jour for the next two seasons for all I care since they're just going to do it anyway.

Are you saying you care more about Brian than the actual success of the team? BA is a decent starting CF'er and a GOOD 4th OF'er, how can you sit there and say how good he is, but then want him to contribute for another team? It makes zero sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Ugh, I'm so sick of the David Cook love. :P

Anyway, the "Sign a leadoff CF" campaign still has its work to do. I'm not a huge fan of any of the OF's available on the market as a multi-year FA option. Figgins is probably the best option, but he'll be 32 to start next season. Beyond that, there's no obvious candidate...Baldelli isn't an everyday guy, Crisp has a team option, Damon will be 36, etc.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
Are you saying you care more about Brian than the actual success of the team? BA is a decent starting CF'er and a GOOD 4th OF'er, how can you sit there and say how good he is, but then want him to contribute for another team? It makes zero sense.

Brian's presence on this club doesn't mean jack s*** if he's not playing every day. He's not going to hit at all if he's not getting regular AB's. He's hardly going to be valuable at all coming in a few days per week possibly as a defensive replacement. I would much rather see Brian succeed elsewhere than continue to get misused for another year.

I am much more sympathetic towards Brian's career than I am toward Ozzie's incredibly moronic CF decision making.

And LMAO at me caring more about him than the team. Are you really dumb enough to believe that? Yeah, wanting a 4th OF to get an opportunity elsewhere because the manager is a dumb s*** is such an anti-Sox viewpoint...

Edit: And if Kenny had any balls he'd call Ozzie into his office and tell him what's up. I can't believe Kenny is the one telling Ozzie to play Erstad, Wise & Co. over his former 1st round pick who he traded 2 CF'ers to open up a spot for.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
that doesn't make any sense to me. First off, if Guillen wanted Anderson off the roster, he'd be off the roster. I don't think he needs an excuse. Secondly, OG would be much happier if Anderson would be hitting .320, showing some power, and playing heads up baseball. I'm sure Guillen wants to win as many games as possible and,if BA gave him the best chance to do it,he'd be out there playing everyday. I mean do you really think Ozzie is making out the lineup card saying,"you know we have a better chance to win the Anderson out there, but i don't like him so i'll put Wise out there and hope we win anyway" ? He didn't like Cabrera last year but OC played about every game.

You're saying you expect Anderson to hit like Magglio Ordonez? Mark Teixeira?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
Let's face it, neither one of them are very good. It doesn't really matter who is out there. Any production out of either one should be considered icing on the cake. KW's main focus should be on obtaining a legit CF'er. You figure when Quentin comes back that Podsednik will split time with BA or may even be the main guy with BA being a late inning defensive replacement.

The thing i don't get is BA has had about 3 good weeks since 2006 and everybody loves him yet Fields has 3 bad weeks and everybody wants to run him out of town. Fields had a slump, 5 for 45, but otherwise has hit a very respectable .285. Many players better than Fields have had longer slumps. Anderson has had a 3 year slump and he supposed to be out there every day :huh .

Take away every player's worst 45 AB of the season at this point and tell me what their stats are. The fact is Fields continues to strike out at an alarming rate, does not get on base much, has a low average, and is on a pace for about 6 or 7 home runs. That's something that needs to improve dramatically or its something that needs to be replaced soon if a team wants to win. With Anderson, even if he doesn't hit, he's a good 4th OF who can come in as a defensive replacement and a pinch runner. Fields is a guy who can't play multiple positions, and will never be a late inning defensive replacement so if he can't play every day he really isn't a bench guy because of the amount of pitchers that must be carried in today's game and therefore beomes a AAAA player. No need to replace him yet, but its getting close. If Beckham continues to scorch the ball, and Fields doesn't start hitting with some authority, Josh will have to find an apartment in Charlotte.

Brian Anderson needs to play regularly because when he sits it affects his hitting. It has been my observation that even in the second half of 2006, whenever Brian seems to get some momentum, he sits. I contend that the Sox would be better off letting him play all of the time. If he sucks like he did the first half of 2006, then he either stays as a defensive replacement or he goes. But this benching him for tough right handers crap does not help. As others have mentioned, he's been hitting right handers better than left, and it keeps him from getting on a roll. Ozzie is not helping the CF situation at all.

If Pods keeps hitting .290 and the Sox keep winning, Pods may be the CF whenever Q comes back.