Fields v. Getz

VAfan

This is an easy one for me, but I'm sorry to say, it doesn't appear to be an easy one for the White Sox.

Josh Fields, despite whatever hitch he has in his swing, has a vastly greater upside than Chris Getz. In addition, despite hitting what most would consider horribly so far, he's still hitting better than Chris Getz.

Here is Josh Fields career line: .238 .302 .417 .719 -- that's over 161 games and 581 ABs

Here is Josh Fields 2009 line: .244 .306 .344 .651

He's 26. His biggest downside is 197 K's. He has 25 HRs in his career.

Here is Chris Getz's career line: .247 .309 .301 .610 -- 39 games, 142 ABs

Here is Chris Getz's 2009 line: .254 .316 .310 .626

He's 25. His biggest downside is ZERO power. He has 6 career steals and been caught twice.

I think going into the season, the Sox must have felt that Josh Fields could post at least his career numbers, if not improve on them. I'm not sure why they should think otherwise if they just let him play. There's at least hope there. And if he shows no improvement over the next month or two, the Sox can bring up Viciedo.

But Getz is what you see on the field right now. He's got no power so there is no reason for pitchers to walk him. If he reached his maximum potential, he'd probably top out at a .700 OPS, and he'd have to hit nearly .300 to get there, with a .350 OBP. And between now and then, if he ever did reach that point (which I doubt), we'd have to suffer through pathetic numbers that are way below league average. I just don't get what people see in that kind of ballplayer. Maybe if he played on turf and could slap the ball through the infield, he'd be a passable player. On grass, in the homer-friendly Cell, he's a disaster. (Moreover, he can't play SS, so he's effectively useless as a utility player.)

Give me Josh Fields and his strike outs every day over that. I can at least hope that Fields will fix the hitch in his swing and return to the 20-homer power he displayed two years ago. Getz doesn't have any such excuse to fall back on.

PS -- while we're at it, please cut DeWayne Wise. He is barely hitting above the league average for NL pitchers! He has to be the worst player in Major League Baseball.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
He's 25. His biggest downside is ZERO power. He has 6 career steals and been caught twice.

Chris Getz also had 11 home runs last year in Charlotte. Admittedly it was in a small stadium, but it's not like the Cell is Petco, even if we're playing like it is.

And Viciedo is at least 1 year away. Calling him up would be flat out foolish.

Another problem is Fields is a sub-par defender at third. He may have some power, but I don't think he'll ever be a "good" hitter, at least not good enough to compensate for his poor defense.

I say trade both Fields and Getz along with a prospect and get a quality major league third baseman. Move Beckham to second base. And of course, cut Wise ASAP.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Chris Getz also had 11 home runs last year in Charlotte. Admittedly it was in a small stadium, but it's not like the Cell is Petco, even if we're playing like it is.

And Viciedo is at least 1 year away. Calling him up would be flat out foolish.

OOOH! How exciting! You mean to say his slugging percentage might some day beat his on base percentage?

Maybe Getz could hit a couple mistakes out. But if he ever swung for the fences, his batting average would suffer big time, more than cancelling out any gain in slugging.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
Another problem is Fields is a sub-par defender at third. He may have some power, but I don't think he'll ever be a "good" hitter, at least not good enough to compensate for his poor defense.

I say trade both Fields and Getz along with a prospect and get a quality major league third baseman. Move Beckham to second base. And of course, cut Wise ASAP.

I'm not against this position once we can cover both 2B and 3B with better players than Getz and Fields. I just can't understand why you would not get rid of Getz first. Beckham, as a SS, has to be as good defensively at 2B as Getz is (or would be with a little work over there). And Fields has been passable defensively at 3B.

Another way to look at this is that if Josh Fields could repeat his 2007 performance and Beckham hit as well as we expect he can even as a rookie, the Sox might have a chance this year. If you flipped it and put Beckham at 3B and projected the very best that Getz could possibly achieve this year, the Sox offense would still have a huge hole at 2B, well below league average at the position.

What's the point of this thread? Seriously, because I can't see it? There is no comparison between Josh Fields and Chris Getz. Meaning, they play 2 different positions, and their fates aren't intertwined. If Josh Fields sinks, it will be because he and only he failed when given the opportunity. And I really doubt Beckham is going to be at 3B forever, especially if Fields steps up and keeps his job. Nobody, to my knowledge, ever thought of Getz as a high-ceiling player, maybe at the most a solid starter until Beckham got called up. Fields on the other hand has been the 3B of the future for a while, and they need for him to perform.

Edited by lostfan

i think you can get enough AB's for all 3, Fields,Getz, and Beckham, by rotating Beckham around to different positions. I think Beckham will eventually take over the 2B position with Getz becoming the backup. Fields, i think, will continue to improve and end up being an above average 3B in a couple years. The Sox main problem is the heaping pile of trash they continue to thow out in CF with Wise and Anderson. Getz and Fields both have had a couple bad streaks but that's to be expected of young 1st/2nd year players. I think they have both bounced back pretty decently and it will play it outself throughout the next couple months.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Totally agree. Seems most of us want Leo Getz to be better than he actually is. This loyalty that we show him isn't unfounded, but it is way overdone. I like Nix as well...wtf where are all these guys gonna play

Loyalty? He's been playing in the major leagues for over two months, man. Two months. Barely 150 PAs. Cmon now.

I'd say the overall feeling is that Chris Getz has earned his 2B job and deserves it. It's bulls*** because it's only founded on the fact that he's been in our system forever and has made the most of his tools, always playing 100% whatever. Well as the OP indicated, his tools suck for our field.

It's my feeling that we have the opportunity to use 2B as an above average offensive position. I think this is where Beckham should play. No trading for 3B either, let's see how the Fields and Viciedo situation looks after 2009, when there will be more evidence.

Whoever of the two is playing better at the time should get the playing time, with Beckham playing the other spot.

I believe Viciedo is still at least 1 year away, and if Fields doesn't pan out (which I doubt he will), I wouldn't mind going with Scott Rolen for a year at 3B.

If Alexei is not moving from SS, we're best off if Josh Fields is our 3B, and Gordon Beckham is our 2B until Gordon proves he can't handle the job. I love Getz as much as the next guy, but I've always thought of him as a middle infielder off the bench.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Do you agree with me that Nix is a more valuable player than Getz? I think this whole thing will actually end up being a battle between those 2 for backup; Nix being the more versatile position player.

Neither one has been particularly awesome.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
If Alexei is not moving from SS, we're best off if Josh Fields is our 3B, and Gordon Beckham is our 2B until Gordon proves he can't handle the job. I love Getz as much as the next guy, but I've always thought of him as a middle infielder off the bench.

Right, exactly correct... really some of the posts in this thread are just way off-base, as is the entire premise of the thread. Getz was never intended to be the long-term answer at 2B for this team so I honestly don't know what the hell people are talking about. It's like everybody forgot this sequence of events, even though it was only 2-3 months ago:

-The season started with an open competition at 2B

-Beckham was basically deemed not ready

-The competition was between Getz and Nix in ST, and it was pretty close, until:

-Nix got hurt in ST and sent to the DL. Getz looked good at the plate and in the field in ST and was given the job.

Of course, now, Nix is back, and Beckham has since been called up (for whatever reason). The situation itself about players hasn't changed.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Do you agree with me that Nix is a more valuable player than Getz? I think this whole thing will actually end up being a battle between those 2 for backup; Nix being the more versatile position player.

I agree with that. Getz doesn't have the arm strength to play any position well, besides for 2B (which he plays a very good). Nix on the other hand is a stud at 2B, and has showed plus D at SS, and the ability to play LF, RF, and 3B. Best case scenario is for him to figure it out at bat, and he could become a Mark DeRosa type of player. In fact, their careers have started out similar. DeRosa was a decent prospect who came up with Atlanta but never did much, moved on to Texas, learned a lot from Michael Young, and look at him now. That'd be awesome if he could become a Mark DeRosa player.

As for Getz, I like him, and I hope him the best and that he could become a solid everyday or platoon 2B, but he doesn't fit in with what we need, IMO. If we didn't have Beckham, I wouldn't have minded a Getz-Nix platoon. But, luckily, we do have Beckham.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
This is nuts..Jayson Nix is batting .203 this season. He's not good, but people are acting like we discovered this amazing player.

He's an amazing second baseman. He still can't hit worth a s***, he's just run into a few. He's like BA was last year without the contact rate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
This is nuts..Jayson Nix is batting .203 this season. He's not good, but people are acting like we discovered this amazing player.

I didn't realize his sample size was so small though. 60-something sporadic PAs this year, before that, 65 PAs last year. He's been up and down in the minors, especially at Tulsa for some reason, but he's never been given that much of a shot in the majors either.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 02:26 AM)
I didn't realize his sample size was so small though. 60-something sporadic PAs this year, before that, 65 PAs last year. He's been up and down in the minors, especially at Tulsa for some reason, but he's never been given that much of a shot in the majors either.

True, and he does make decent contact. He just has to stop being so damn pull-happy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
I said this in chat about Getz:

- If you want an explosive offense, he's your utility player

- If you want an average offense, he's your #9 hitter

- If you want a bad offense, he's a #1/2 hitter

What if my team plays in the NL? :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)

He looks pretty good out there sometimes though, but you are right. So if the infield is Fields Lex Beckham Konerko, would you rather have Getz' clutch bat on the bench backin up 2B with plus D, or Nix power bat backing up everywhere with plus D.

Not that easy of a choice. Calling up Beckham only hastened the deadline of a decision we aren't ready to make.