Wise - "Keep Booing Me"

Heads22

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Anderson also had a long stretch of injury.

Since May 29, Wise has had 20 PAs. Since May 19, Anderson has had 65. Plus factor in a recent short Brian illness.

Again, we can argue the disparity should be greater...but I dont think that disparity is so small that we need to boo a struggling member of the home team. To me that accomplishes nothing.

People say we discuss these two guys (and booing) too much. On one hand yes, but it's also part of a larger point. I would like to respect more of the people in the stands for the team I root for. And fans can positively or negatively impact players. It's not like football, but they have some effect.

While I don't condone booing Wise, Dewayne has to look at his performance and realize he's going to get some booing. Even if he's making minimum, he's making a good living. If he can't handle the boos, I don't know why he would want to be a baseball player.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
While I don't condone booing Wise, Dewayne has to look at his performance and realize he's going to get some booing. Even if he's making minimum, he's making a good living. If he can't handle the boos, I don't know why he would want to be a baseball player.

To me, him saying "keep booing me" is him handling it. Players should feed off that. Why are we asking him to show repentance or something along those lines?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
To me, him saying "keep booing me" is him handling it. Players should feed off that. Why are we asking him to show repentance or something along those lines?

Its obviously bothering him and acknowledging it is only going to encourage the biggest booers to take it to another level. If he likes the boos, keep playing like you're playing Dewayne. If he wants them to stop, a few hits might help.

I just don't know what talking about it with the media, just like Fields, accomplishes. Fans are frustrated. They pay a lot of money to watch the White Sox. The White Sox should hold up their end of the deal and at least play like a major league team.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
So you're booing one player so that they'll put in another that is hitting .234?

To me, booing is a serious enough thing where you do it for a total travesty. This does not qualify. BA has defense but other than that Ozzie wants to get a LH bat on track if he can.

Yesterday he didnt even start and people insulted him after he failed to score from first (on a questionable call at that)

BA's glove alone is enough reason to play him over Wise, plain and simple. There is no argument for Wise playing in any role other than a pinch runner and then never on a major league roster again once TCQ is back.

And "get a LH on track" hahahahahah, yeah we need to get Wise on track so he can start putting up those big .209/.249 numbers, wooo man. If only he didn't get injured!!! Think of the murderer's row lineup we'd have with a bat like that in there.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
BA has sucked and been booed before. s*** Paul f'n Konerko got booed last year. Nut up.

Now this is blasphemy. Paulie is part of the reason we have a World Title Flag, I will never boo any of the boys that brought us 2005, even the joker who manages our team.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Now this is blasphemy. Paulie is part of the reason we have a World Title Flag, I will never boo any of the boys that brought us 2005, even the joker who manages our team.

I'm not saying I condoned it, but saying if Paul Konerko - heroics and all - can go into June last year hovering around .200 (2nd straight year of subpar play), draw boos, and handle it like a professional athlete, surely Wise, who is basically a nobody to this franchise and fanbase, can handle it too. And for all of the people throwing out the Brian Anderson strawman - if he was batting below .200 and striking out in 1/3 of his at-bats, he would get booed too. It doesn't matter who you are. If you suck long enough on any team, in any sport, in any city, fans will lose their patience with you.

Why are people blowing up more about Wise's comments than Fields'?

Isn't Fields questioning management whereas Wise is pretty much telling the fans to kiss his ass? Why do you think fans would be more upset with a crappier player making direct comments to the fanbase?

I think we all realize Wise isn't a major league starter. The sad thing is he might be an okay 5th outfielder and I definately see him as a good fit in the NL. The guy is doing his best and doesn't deserve to get booed. If you want to boo someone, boo em cause they aren't trying, not because they don't have the talent.

Boo Ozzie when they call his name cause it is him and obviously Kenny responsible for who is on the roster and who plays.

While I personally dont boo unless I really disrespect the person (not the stats) I do understand the frustration of fans. Wise is a bit of a scapegoat, he's out there with sub par defense and just awful offense, and when youre team is struggling those negatives are blown up ot a huge proportion. Look at 2006, when Anderson was hitting poorly and the Sox were winning it was ok, when the team struggled his stats became to much of a burden and they felt compelled to replace him. Its the same for the fans, they see a team struggling, and a player struggling, and they think they are putting 2 and 2 together, though it goes alot deeper than that. Fans want the team to succeed and the most obvious guy to replace to put the team back into winning ways is the one who is doing so blatantly poorly.

Wise really needs to go. I would rather see anyone out there but him. He is 1-24 since returning in May with 8 K's and 1 BB. He is quite possibly the worst player on any Major League roster. There were only 10 players worse than him according to BP's VORP listing before today's game in which he went 0-4 with a K and is now batting .133.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=495853

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Why not call up Kroeger or Cook? It's not like we haven't already tried Pods in center. What does Wise offer to this team?

Betemit went a month without a hit and he was gone, Lillibridge played bad and was sent down, Miller was DFA'd and they all were playing better than Wise is right now. Why is management so set on keeping this guy on the roster when there are so many other options out there.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Why is management so set on keeping this guy on the roster when there are so many other options out there.

Being stubborn is all I can guess. They don't want to admit that it was a mistake to consider him a long term option.

I don't blame Wise. He's trying to play with what he's got. What he's got is a game suited for AAAA. But I mostly blame Kenny for not getting a viable 4th OFer option who can hit, get on base, play defense, has speed and can handle the bat. Wise has speed and can play defense.