Wise - "Keep Booing Me"

Heads22

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
Nobody could fail as badly as D'Wayne Wise. Anybody that was brought up could do exactly what he does.

There is no debate. Wise has done nothing all season and therefore anyone could do the same.

A younger player may actually succeed a little, who knows.

The credability of the KW/OG is taking a hit on this one he really adds nothing to this team.

Hopefully this was only to give JD a day off, but even then, it is hard to justify batting him 5th ever.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
In Wise's defense they need somebody on the bench who can pinch-run. Can't use Nix/Getz as that guy because you don't want to lose your middle-infielder as a pinch-runner.

I don't have a problem with him playing if Dye is out, after all, Quentin is hurt and we need to play who's available. But not batting 5th. Wise should never be hitting higher than 7th. Even in the NL.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
In Wise's defense they need somebody on the bench who can pinch-run. Can't use Nix/Getz as that guy because you don't want to lose your middle-infielder as a pinch-runner.

We've got Clayton Richard.

/green

Dweezy needs to be DFA'd and released.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
LOL. Nice logic.

First off, I don't believe I "championed" Wise at all in that post, but good try (I actually stated twice that he should be in AAA). Secondly, just because Cook "has yet to fail at the big league level" means he's a good option? Hell, with that logic let's call up Shelby or Gartrell since they have yet to fail too. Third, I listed two options who should be called up. It continues to baffle me the man-love people get for certain non-prospects in this organization to the extent where they feel they will succeed at the major league level for no real reason. How many 28 year old players hit at .250 at AA and go on to have solid major league careers?

I get it, people here love David Cook cuz he can play CF and had a good year last year. But look at reality, the odds of him being a major league player are almost non-existant. I'd call up Kroger, Restovich, Phillips, maybe even Daryl Ward before even considering calling up David Cook right now. All he's done this year is jump Lillibridge on the depth chart. It might be different if he was having a year like last year, or if he was doing this in Charlotte, but he's not, pure and simple.

I know I speak up for David Cook a lot, but all I want for him is just a chance. Just an audition for a week or two. He's been in the system since 2003. He's a hard working player, and he deserves a shot, that's all. As much as I like seeing him play, he shouldn't be in AA, he should have been in AAA all season at this point. I've never said he'd be a great major leaguer, although I think he could have success under a LaRussa/Leyland/Piniella/Maddon type manager. In a nutshell, I just want him to get a chance, that's all.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't have a problem with him playing if Dye is out, after all, Quentin is hurt and we need to play who's available. But not batting 5th. Wise should never be hitting higher than 7th. Even in the NL.

There is a problem. He is not good at any aspect of baseball. Somebody, anyone in the top 10 prospect list could do what he does and be younger and have a ceiling of some nature.

He should not be on this team batting 1st, 5th or 9th...ever.

What would Jordan Danks do any worse?????? I vote for Kroeger, Ward or Restovich I do not care what their numbers currently are, they would outperform Wise.

I do not think people understand how bad Wise is currently playing.

The guy is batting .138 for god's sake, try and comprehend that......

Edited by Jenks Heat

Wow, I have to say some of the names on the bottom of that list surprise me. Mike Aviles, you couldnt get that guy out last year. Dioner Navarro, Brian Giles, Chris Young, didnt think they would be that bad

Wise sucks and for the 11% ticket increase in 2009 and nothing to show for it, I and anyone else can boo all they want Wise would not play on any other MLB team at all!

I just don't understand the wasted negative energy. He seems like a nice enough guy. When you see him, does hatred fill your body? It's a f***ing baseball game. Our team is mediocre at best. Why boo him and add insult to injury? Wise is a s***ty baseball player and doesn't belong in the big leagues. Why waste the negative injury on a nice guy who happens to suck at baseball? Why not boo Ozzie and KW? I mean if this guy had expectations and was a good player who was loafing, fine, boo him. He's Dewayne f***ing Wise ... a stiff. So what's the big deal? WHy not cheer Pods who has resurrected his career?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Why waste the negative injury on a nice guy who happens to suck at baseball?

Hello......... baseball is what he is paid to do! I do not care If he is nice or not has nothing to do with wins or losses!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
How do you boo Ozzie and KW? Seriously? How is that possible?

Unfortunately for Wise, the best way to boo OG and KW is to boo the product on the field. We all like to think that OG understands how bad Wise is, but the logic-defying use of Dweezy indicates otherwise. I do not boo at all unless I see something really awful like poor sportsmanship, but in this case, what else do the fans have to show their displeasure? They can not come to games, but many of us are locked into season ticket packages and are forced to watch Ozzie mismanage the whole Wise and BA situation. On that note, no matter how bad BA may be hitting at any point in time, he is still better than Wise no matter who is pitching. He also is a far better defender.

One other thing, I love the new trend on Soxtalk to b**** about the b****ing. All the complaining about the team can get tiresome, but it seems if half a thread is complaining, the other half is someone reprimanding the complainer for complaining. Isn't that just contributing to the problem in a way?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
LOL. Nice logic

He’s never had a chance to succeed either. Meanwhile, Wise has had multiple opportunities and failed in each and every one. Also,

tr.v. cham·pi·oned, cham·pi·on·ing, cham·pi·ons

1. To fight for, defend, or support as a champion: championed the cause of civil rights. See Synonyms at support.

You've defended Wise as a better option than Cook. Despite an alarming lack of evidence. I love ya, Chisox, but you're championing Wise.

The issue here is... we aren't booing Wise per say. He's a fine-enough guy. The issue is you can't boo KW for keeping him on the roster and you can't boo Guillen for keeping him in the lineup. The opportunity does not present itself and I for one don't want to boo them given what they've done.

Thus, the only way to relay our feelings about the decision to continually run this dude out there is to boo him. We're booing the idea that is Dewayne Wise, not the person himself.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
He’s never had a chance to succeed either. Meanwhile, Wise has had multiple opportunities and failed in each and every one. Also,

tr.v. cham·pi·oned, cham·pi·on·ing, cham·pi·ons

1. To fight for, defend, or support as a champion: championed the cause of civil rights. See Synonyms at support.

You've defended Wise as a better option than Cook. Despite an alarming lack of evidence. I love ya, Chisox, but you're championing Wise.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Wise should be in AAA, but it's not his fault that Ozzie and Kenny think he should be playing in Chicago. I doubt he goes out there every day not trying or caring. Hopefully they send him to Charlotte, but until they do you just have to hope he doesnt get much PT but when he does that he does well. This is really on Kenny and Ozzie, not on Wise.

If that's the way you see it, I guess I can't really argue.

I have nothing against the guy, but no matter who you are, if the best evidence you can offer me is what you did the previous season as a 27 year old in AA, I'm not gonna line up to buy you as succeeding at the major league level in the present.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

I would respect Wise more as player if he asked to be sent down. There is clearly something wrong since he returned. Before his injury he actually put together a few good games. However, since his return, he has played worse than any player in the bigs. Just man up, asked to be sent down (or put on the DL), work on your issues, and try to fight your way back. Others have done it.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
I would respect Wise more as player if he asked to be sent down. There is clearly something wrong since he returned. Before his injury he actually put together a few good games. However, since his return, he has played worse than any player in the bigs. Just man up, asked to be sent down (or put on the DL), work on your issues, and try to fight your way back. Others have done it.

Very few have done it, and they are usually players that are very experienced or are high end prospects who know they will be back. For Wise, he has to know if he goes down to AAA, that's probably it for him. You can't reasonably expect him to do this, much as we may want it to happen.

Wise now a -8.8 VORP. Only 6 players worse than him on BP's listing. Kind of funny to see him right there with the likes of Darin Erstad.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti....php?cid=496184

Lots of names on there that I've seen on the Soxtalk want list.

Edwin Encarnacion

Willy Taveras

Conor Jackson

Jeff Franceour

Ronny Cedeno

Chris Young

Chad Tracy (Yeah, we should still acquire him to dump Thome or Konerko)

Can't forget from former Sox duds:

Erstad

Cabrera

Hopefully Lillibridge

...and how pissed off would our fanbase be if we traded Johan Santana, Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett for Carlos Gomez and Delmon Young?