SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

:bringit

Updated with all Day 1 and Day 2 selections:

1. Jared Mitchell, OF, LSU

1a. Josh Phegley, C, Indiana Univ.

2. Trayce Thompson, OF, Santa Margarita HS (CA)

2a. David Holmberg, LHP, Port Charlotte HS (FL)

3. Bryan Morgado, LHP, Univ. of Tennessee

4. Matthew Heidenreich - RHP - Temescal Canyon HS (CA)

5. Kyle Bellamy - RHP - Univ of Miami

6. Justin Collop - RHP - Univ of Toledo

7. Justin Jones - LHP - Oakdale Senior HS (CA)

8. Ryan Buch - RHP - Monmouth University

9. Matthew Hopps - RHP - Cal State Domiguez Hills

10. Nick Ciolli - OF - Indiana St University

11. Jimmy Ballinger - RHP - Southern Miss

12. Kyle Colligan - CF - Texas A&M

13. Cameron Bayne - RHP - Concordia University

14. Daniel Black - 1B - Purdue University

15. Dane Williams - RHP - Archbishop McCarthy HS (FL)

16. Daniel Wagner, 2B, Belmont

17. Brian Goodwin, CF, Rocky Mount HS (NC)

18. Philip Negus, RHP, Wake Forest

19. Brady Shoemaker, LF, Indiana St.

20. Nathan Reed, LHP, Pittsburgh

21. Jared McDonald, SS, Arizona St. Univ.

22. Zach Kayne, SS, Davidson College

23. Goldy Simmons, RHP, San Diego St.

24. Jeffery Tezak, 2B, Univ. of Nebraska

25. Michael Strong, LHP, Iowa Western CC

26. Matthew Harughty, 2B, Univ. of Oklahoma

27. Kyle Davis, 2B, Univ. of Delaware

28. Robert Cummings, 3B, UC Santa Barbara

29. Charles Delk, RHP, Clemson

30. Robert Vaughn, C, Kansas State

Edited by dasox24

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
I'd like to see a couple more high-upside arms on our board.

Me too, I'm really hoping for Keyvius Sampson who I like a lot, 95-96mph fastball, hammer curve, improving change and he's a great athlete.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Is there a list of White Sox draft picks? I tried to bring up the MLB.com draft tracker, but you couldnt sort by team picks, only by player

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=121

Also you can look at the selection by team on mlb.com, just use the "Selections by Team" drop down box.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Me too, I'm really hoping for Keyvius Sampson who I like a lot, 95-96mph fastball, hammer curve, improving change and he's a great athlete.

If we could get Sampson, Schuster and another catcher like Seastrunk or Bailey, i'd call this a nice draft for the White sox.

A friend of mine is defending the Mitchell selection by comparing Mitchell's #s at age 20 to Beckham's. At 20, Beckham put up worse stats than JM.

Give me some reasons to debunk this. Quality of competition/pitching faced? and K #s obviously

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
A friend of mine is defending the Mitchell selection by comparing Mitchell's #s at age 20 to Beckham's. At 20, Beckham put up worse stats than JM.

Give me some reasons to debunk this. Quality of competition/pitching faced? and K #s obviously

mitchell never lead the nation in HR? didnt hit over .400

Thread title needs to be edited - round 4-30 go today. And tomorrow is 31-50 IIRC.

If Stassi is still available for us in the 4th or 5th, I wouldn't mind going after him. If he's not, I like the Bailey and Seastrunk suggestions. I also like the idea of us grabbing more high-upside arms.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Madison Youginer is still out there... another high upside HS arm. Hopefully the Sox can nab him in the 5th

He probably won't sign, without a well above slot offer. Given the Sox latest pick, I'm pretty sure it ain't in the budget.

Next pick in:

KYLE BELLAMY, RHP, MIAMI

Bellamy was a first-team all-conference choice in the Atlantic Coast Conference and was a key reason that Miami—unranked in the preseason—overachieved and finished in the ACC's top five teams. The Hurricanes have a long history of tremendous relievers, dating back to the Ron Fraser era (Rick Raether was the MOP of the 1985 College World Series) and enhanced during Jim Morris' Miami tenure, from Danny Graves and Jay Tessmer to George Huguet and 2008 first-rounder Carlos Gutierrez. Bellamy could work out better than Tessmer and Huguet thanks to a heavy, sinking fastball that is his trademark. When he's fresh, Bellamy works at 88-91 mph; he loses velocity when he works on back-to-back days, sometimes dipping into the 84-87 range. Bellamy's success as a pro will hinge on improved fastball command and improved consistency with his frisbee slider, which lacks depth and power.

-BA

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Next pick in:

KYLE BELLAMY, RHP, MIAMI

Bellamy was a first-team all-conference choice in the Atlantic Coast Conference and was a key reason that Miami—unranked in the preseason—overachieved and finished in the ACC's top five teams. The Hurricanes have a long history of tremendous relievers, dating back to the Ron Fraser era (Rick Raether was the MOP of the 1985 College World Series) and enhanced during Jim Morris' Miami tenure, from Danny Graves and Jay Tessmer to George Huguet and 2008 first-rounder Carlos Gutierrez. Bellamy could work out better than Tessmer and Huguet thanks to a heavy, sinking fastball that is his trademark. When he's fresh, Bellamy works at 88-91 mph; he loses velocity when he works on back-to-back days, sometimes dipping into the 84-87 range. Bellamy's success as a pro will hinge on improved fastball command and improved consistency with his frisbee slider, which lacks depth and power.

-BA

Not very exciting from that.