kapkomet

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
That aside, my original point had nothing to do with how to pay -- but that it's even an "option" to give the government direct access to a personal bank account. I just don't think it's a good idea, and that's all it was meant to convey.

They have direct access to direct deposit my tax refund. I really do not understand the problem with it.

How this provision is being portrayed by right-wing blogs is that you have to give Obama direct access to your bank accounts and he will steal all your monies.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
How is it any different than the government taking money from your bank account to pay for things like child support?

That's reserved for scumbags that refuse to pay on time on their own accord. That's how and it has to go through a court system to garnish/wage garnish.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
That's reserved for scumbags that refuse to pay on time on their own accord. That's how.

I'm not a scumbag and I have it set up that way. It was court ordered. But thanks for the insult!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
They have direct access to direct deposit my tax refund. I really do not understand the problem with it.

How this provision is being portrayed by right-wing blogs is that you have to give Obama direct access to your bank accounts and he will steal all your monies.

Well, I think that's extreme -- I don't think they would try to "steal" money. I just foresee issues with overdraws and over payments do to clerical error. Other than that, there is no problem with it being a choice...I just think people who "choose" to give anyone direct access to their bank accounts, other than their job (which makes deposits, not withdrawls), is an idiot.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
I'm not a scumbag and I have it set up that way. It was court ordered. But thanks for the insult!

Wasn't meant like that. Being court ordered is one thing -- choosing to do it is another. It's just not a wise choice.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Well, I think that's extreme -- I don't think they would try to "steal" money. I just foresee issues with overdraws and over payments do to clerical error. Other than that, there is no problem with it being a choice...I just think people who "choose" to give anyone direct access to their bank accounts, other than their job (which makes deposits, not withdrawls), is an idiot.

I've never had any problems with my mortgage, car payment, comcast, car insurance, etc.

Personally, I think anyone who still mails checks is just a laggard.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
I've never had any problems with my mortgage, car payment, comcast, car insurance, etc.

Personally, I think anyone who still mails checks is just a laggard.

Likewise. In fact it makes my life easier to set up payments that way.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)

Doesn't mean you won't in the future.

Also, doing what you are doing makes it really easy to steal your identity on multiple fronts.

For example, any nubcake at Comcast can steal it -- since you've given their system full access to your bank account, information any idiot Comcast rep can bring up on their screen in one way or another -- and sell it to some 3rd party who would be proud to be you...and have your money. :D

Or, nix the nubcakes at Comcast being underhanded -- if anyone steals their customer info any number of ways, you're full information, including bank account routing numbers, names, addresses, numbers, etc...would be in their hands.

I work in the security industry -- and this is how it's done. People are simply too open/free with very personal information to a multitude of companies, because it makes their lives easier.

Doing online banking is easier -- YOU pay when YOU choose -- NEVER give anyone direct access to withdraw from any of your accounts.

EVER.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Likewise. In fact it makes my life easier to set up payments that way.

Exactly.

And it makes it easier to steal your identity, money, and credit rating, too.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
Doesn't mean you won't in the future.

Also, doing what you are doing makes it really easy to steal your identity on multiple fronts.

For example, any nubcake at Comcast can steal it -- since you've given their system full access to your bank account, information any idiot Comcast rep can bring up on their screen in one way or another -- and sell it to some 3rd party who would be proud to be you...and have your money. :D

Or, nix the nubcakes at Comcast being underhanded -- if anyone steals their customer info any number of ways, you're full information, including bank account routing numbers, names, addresses, numbers, etc...would be in their hands.

I work in the security industry -- and this is how it's done. People are simply too open/free with very personal information to a multitude of companies, because it makes their lives easier.

Doing online banking is easier -- YOU pay when YOU choose -- NEVER give anyone direct access to withdraw from any of your accounts.

EVER.

Eh, I have two accounts with direct access to outside parties. One is my savings account at the same bank as my car loan. Its essentially just a balance transfer each month. The other is a checking account that I keep little money in. Usually just enough to cover bills.

edit: /derail

Contrary to the hyperbolic, irrational lies being spread around, no proposed bill mandates government access to your bank accounts. If you choose the "public option," you can choose a direct payment plan. That should end that issue, at least here.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Eh, I have two accounts with direct access to outside parties. One is my savings account at the same bank as my car loan. Its essentially just a balance transfer each month. The other is a checking account that I keep little money in. Usually just enough to cover bills.

edit: /derail

Contrary to the hyperbolic, irrational lies being spread around, no proposed bill mandates government access to your bank accounts. If you choose the "public option," you can choose a direct payment plan. That should end that issue, at least here.

I agree, since it's merely an option, it does end it as an sort of outstanding issue.

But, I can't reiterate how much of a mistake you are making giving multiple companies such personal access to your bank accounts. Having someones name and address is bad enough, but that's very hard to keep from people -- but when you give them financial information it gives them a lot of power, because that is widely considered very private information. With information like that, you can convince almost anyone (aside from people you know personally) that you are that person.

Always pay them -- never let them pay themselves, no matter how easy it makes it. /derail :D

people have such short attention spans now. In my day health care bills were 16,000 pages long written in latin and retranslated into greek, and that was afternoon entertainment. Birth of a nation was considered a short film.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
As I said there should be some co-pay to prevent overuse. With such an obvious problem, I would be amazed if it was not addressed in the program.

It is free for those that go to the emergency room intending not to pay.

There was an earlier comment by Alpha that the plan allows for the government to draft your bank account to pay for the services, so that would seem to address that there will be a co-pay and there will be strict collections, both would work to help solve your concern.

So in other words you are for increasing health care costs to those who can't afford it.