• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
Doesn't mean you won't in the future.

Also, doing what you are doing makes it really easy to steal your identity on multiple fronts.

For example, any nubcake at Comcast can steal it -- since you've given their system full access to your bank account, information any idiot Comcast rep can bring up on their screen in one way or another -- and sell it to some 3rd party who would be proud to be you...and have your money. :D

Or, nix the nubcakes at Comcast being underhanded -- if anyone steals their customer info any number of ways, you're full information, including bank account routing numbers, names, addresses, numbers, etc...would be in their hands.

I work in the security industry -- and this is how it's done. People are simply too open/free with very personal information to a multitude of companies, because it makes their lives easier.

Doing online banking is easier -- YOU pay when YOU choose -- NEVER give anyone direct access to withdraw from any of your accounts.

EVER.

Eh... haven't you ever filed taxes? The government didn't start garnishing your paychecks for a year just because they felt like it did they? I'd hope not.

Government employees are just like anywhere else, they can't act with impunity. Get caught doing something like that will get you fired immediately and probably a couple of years in prison. The dynamic doesn't change just because it's a government employee and it doesn't matter what rank they are.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Eh... haven't you ever filed taxes? The government didn't start garnishing your paychecks for a year just because they felt like it did they? I'd hope not.

Government employees are just like anywhere else, they can't act with impunity. Get caught doing something like that will get you fired immediately and probably a couple of years in prison. The dynamic doesn't change just because it's a government employee and it doesn't matter what rank they are.

Easier to track when the information could only come from one source than from many. Yes, the information can be mined from the government. You can never be totally safe from information fraud in this world, but you can minimize it. Maximizing it just because it's in one place, so it may as well be everywhere isn't a proper response to me basically saying, be careful who you give such information too. :P

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)

This.

Also, just in my experience, the best thing to do is have all your bills go to your credit card instead of your bank account for withdrawal (assuming you don't carry a balance of course). You get some card benefits, its automatic and brainless, and if someone DOES get your info, you only have to cancel a credit card and aren't liable for any of the fraud.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Easier to track when the information could only come from one source than from many. Yes, the information can be mined from the government. You can never be totally safe from information fraud in this world, but you can minimize it. Maximizing it just because it's in one place, so it may as well be everywhere isn't a proper response to me basically saying, be careful who you give such information too. :P

My information can be mined from anywhere, I realize there is a line (see the post I just made in the "what is your job" thread and how I danced around it). I have a minimum level of trust with my personal information though, I trust my employer with my birth certificate and Social Security card, I trust a business with my credit card number when I perform a transaction, and I trust the government with my banking information when I owe them or they owe me money. Otherwise I'm being kind of paranoid and I'd pay everything in cash which just wouldn't work. Writing a check isn't any better, your routing number and account number is right on it.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 07:27 AM)
Having a gap in coverage is something that a lot of young people do, and this is a pretty big risk as this guy found out. If his family is able to afford a $1000 monthly rent apartment by the hospital in addition to what they had before, they could have found a way to afford health insurance for the year that he was not covered. This is also why I think everyone should be required to have some sort of health insurance. It will remove these types of situations and will help drive down costs because those healthy, invincible young people will also need coverage. He and plenty his age are taking a big gamble and some are losing.

It is also possible that young people without insurance are in that position because they do not have a job that gives benefits and thus cannot afford it. With the job market, it's reasonable to assume these recent college graduates go without health insurance not because they are risk takers, but because they cannot land a job that gives benefits in the year followng graduation.

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
It is also possible that young people without insurance are in that position because they do not have a job that gives benefits and thus cannot afford it. With the job market, it's reasonable to assume these recent college graduates go without health insurance not because they are risk takers, but because they cannot land a job that gives benefits in the year followng graduation.

thanks, especially those who are possibly, trying to start their own enterprise.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
My information can be mined from anywhere, I realize there is a line (see the post I just made in the "what is your job" thread and how I danced around it). I have a minimum level of trust with my personal information though, I trust my employer with my birth certificate and Social Security card, I trust a business with my credit card number when I perform a transaction, and I trust the government with my banking information when I owe them or they owe me money. Otherwise I'm being kind of paranoid and I'd pay everything in cash which just wouldn't work. Writing a check isn't any better, your routing number and account number is right on it.

I do exactly what someone said above -- I send everything to my credit card, and pay that one bill off every month before interest posts. I get card benefits cash back and if there is ever a need to dispute, it doesn't cost me anything. And they don't get too much of my information...I also use cash whenever possible.

I don't debit, either.

I'm pretty paranoid like that. :D

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
thanks, especially those who are possibly, trying to start their own enterprise.

There are always exceptions to every rule and statement. but the 20-somethings driving a bmw, texting on thier Blackberrys and clubbing 3 nights a week, and don't have insurance, could afford it. A guy that worked for me fir that mold, mid 20's, I didn't offer insurance, and he and his wife together made more coin that I did. Drove brand new cars, went out all the time and took a trip to europe every year for vacation. but went without insurance because it wold crimp their lifestyle. And you have others who simply can't afford it, regardless of what they cut.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
There are always exceptions to every rule and statement. but the 20-somethings driving a bmw, texting on thier Blackberrys and clubbing 3 nights a week, and don't have insurance, could afford it. A guy that worked for me fir that mold, mid 20's, I didn't offer insurance, and he and his wife together made more coin that I did. Drove brand new cars, went out all the time and took a trip to europe every year for vacation. but went without insurance because it wold crimp their lifestyle. And you have others who simply can't afford it, regardless of what they cut.

yr. example sounds like the exception, quite frankly.

Obama May Abandon Effort to Reach Health Deal With Republicans

President Barack Obama is likely in September to end Democratic efforts to work with Republicans on health-care legislation and press for a party-line vote if the stalemate on the issue in the U.S. Senate persists, a person close to the White House said.

The president and his advisers have started devising a strategy to pass a measure by relying only on the Democratic majority in each house of Congress, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In a separate interview, former Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle said Obama is losing patience with negotiations between three Democrats and three Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee, the only congressional panel seeking a bipartisan consensus on a plan to remake the nation’s health- care system.

“He’s waited and waited,” Daschle said yesterday after meeting with the president. “He has indicated, much to the chagrin of people in his party, that virtually everything’s on the table. And he’s gotten almost nothing in return for it.”

A move by Democrats to seek a partisan bill may provoke a backlash from Republicans and weaken public support for the health-care overhaul, Obama’s top domestic priority. It might also result in watered-down legislation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 04:12 AM)
Um, this whole health care debate is about the exceptions.

well, I'm sure the number of rich white kids opting for cool cars instead of health insurance is smaller than the 45 million uninsured + tens of millions underinsured + pre-existing condition patients who can't get insured + horror stories of getting dropped when needing insurance the most.

45 million uninsured. :lolhitting

Most wrongly used number in years and years.

Edit: they may be uninsured but they either shouldn't qualify for insurance or they do indeed choose it... except between 10-15 million. That's the real number. 2.5% of the US population, let's turn it all upside down instead of actually fixing the issues for those folks.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)

Edit: they may be uninsured but they either shouldn't qualify for insurance or they do indeed choose it... except between 10-15 million. That's the real number. 2.5% of the US population, let's turn it all upside down instead of actually fixing the issues for those folks.

So now you're the one telling us about how people shouldn't qualify for insurance? I'm so tempted to go all death-panel callout on this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
So now you're the one telling us about how people shouldn't qualify for insurance? I'm so tempted to go all death-panel callout on this.

Yes, that would be called ILLEGAL aliens.

"Let’s start with the false claim that illegal immigrants will get health insurance under reform. That’s not true. Illegal immigrants would not be covered. That idea has never even been on the table. Some are also saying that coverage for abortions would be mandated under reform. Also false. When it comes to the current ban on using tax dollars for abortions, nothing will change under reform. And as every credible person who has looked into it has said, there are no so-called 'death panels' – an offensive notion to me and to the American people. These are phony claims meant to divide us." – President Obama

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)

proof that the number isnt 45 million?

I believe the 45 million contains some estimated number of illegals (how can you count the undocumented?) and another chunk (10-15M) that qualify for some form of medicare or kidcare but don't take it.

Last year, my friend had some allergy tests to figure out his sinus problem. Earlier this year, he lost his job and bought some gap insurance for a few months. During that period, he needed surgery on a polyp in his sinuses. Guess what happened when he filed his claim? Pre-existing, denied! He was young and driving a beat up Focus and doing the "right thing" by staying insured and he still got f***ed over by the lovely insurance companies.

And I keep hearing from their CEOs and PR wings how they were willing to work with Obama on reform early on--my question is what was stopping you from not implementing s*** policies that screw your customers in the first place?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
proof that the number isnt 45 million?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...n-or-8-million/

That study concluded that a third of the uninsured — more than 14 million people — qualified for existing government programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, but were not enrolled in them. About another 13 million had incomes of $50,000 or more, suggesting they could obtain insurance on their own.

Nearly 6 million were what Blue Cross called "short-term uninsured," meaning people who are either between jobs or are just entering the work force. Many of the remainder were low-wage workers in firms with fewer than 10 workers, who could obtain coverage if the government offered tax credits for small businesses or grants to states, while others are illegal immigrants, it said.