Draft Signings

danman31

A comment from Trayce Thompson's brother in SI

LW: Your younger brother [Trayce] might be playing baseball at UCLA next year; do you like baseball's system -- either turn pro or play for at least three years in college -- better?

KT: Trayce just got drafted -- in the second round by the White Sox -- and I think he's leaning towards signing [a pro contract]. I like the baseball system better than basketball's. I don't see why you have to go to college for one year, when kids are playing pro ball in Europe at 14 years old.

Hope he's right.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
Jared Mitchell is at the Cell tonight, and is taking media questions, sounds like he's committed to sign and it could be soon.

Ok, this is my virgin post, so which of the other draft picks still remaining do you (we) think we will sign? Mogado, Thompson, Jones, Goodwin? How many is realistic? This is a great forum!! Thanks to everyone who keeps this active.

First off welcome aboard. I would hope we get Morgado, Thompson, and Jones signed. Thompson sounds promising and given he was a comp pick it would be a big mistake if we didn't get him signed (as we would not get another draft pick if he didn't sign).

Morgado is a very high upside arm and again a high pick. Not the greatest production but I'd love to have him in here cause his stuff is impact stuff. Goodwin and Dane Williams (a guy you didn't list) are unlikely signing but it would be good if we got one of Jones/Goodwin/Williams and great if we got two, stellar if we got three.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
Considering Morgado is in the Cape Cod League and tearing it up there, I'm beginning to think it would take above slot for him to sign.

One would think so, but is he without a school, I thought he was being pushed out at U of Tenn along with some others. Maybe after he started pitching well UT had second thoughts. I thought he might be the easiest sign of all due to that situation.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
One would think so, but is he without a school, I thought he was being pushed out at U of Tenn along with some others. Maybe after he started pitching well UT had second thoughts. I thought he might be the easiest sign of all due to that situation.

Baseball America's scouting report indicates he would be an easy sign as well. We are probably going to be in a drought of signing rumors/news until August 15th.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
Baseball America's scouting report indicates he would be an easy sign as well. We are probably going to be in a drought of signing rumors/news until August 15th.

I just quickly scanned the Cape Cod league All Star list and did not see Morgado on the list, not sure what that means.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
I just quickly scanned the Cape Cod league All Star list and did not see Morgado on the list, not sure what that means.

He's only pitched 20 innings there so maybe that had something to do with it.

I got this from a Cape Cod blog

Bourne starter Bryan Morgado from the University of Tennessee, the White Sox' third-round pick who disappointed me the last time I saw him, had better stuff Friday but he struggled with his control. Morgado's fastball sat in the 90-92 mph range and a couple of times crept up to 94. This was an improvement from the 88-91 I saw a couple of weeks ago. One Major League scout said he saw Morgado touch 96 in a relief appearance earlier in his pitching career. Morgado's 78-80 mph slider was average and he threw a decent 78-81 mph changeup. Morgado walked six and hit a batter in five innings, but also struck out eight. He still knows how to pitch, and the increased velocity made him more impressive, but I'm still not sure he was worth a third-round pick.

It seems the sox overdraft these high risk high reward guys just to sign them cheap. Carter and Hudson are good examples.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
Any update on Trayce Thompson? Mully and Hanley interviewed Mychael the day after the draft and he said that Trayce was very signable and couldn't wait to get started as a pro. I'm a little surprised he hasn't signed yet.

I don't think we'll hear much more about draft signings until close to the deadline, which will be August 17th this year since the 15th falls on a Saturday.

There is a rumor going around another Sox board that Thompson is signed or will sign very shortly. Nothing to put much stock in, and don't shoot the messenger. The timing is curious and doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ask me, but we'll see.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
There is a rumor going around another Sox board that Thompson is signed or will sign very shortly. Nothing to put much stock in, and don't shoot the messenger. The timing is curious and doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ask me, but we'll see.

If you are talking about WSI, that poster was right on with the Heidenreich signing.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)

Crazy weird. My cousin called me about 2-3 hours ago saying the same thing, though I thought he was bulls***ting. I didn't bother to post it, cause I didn't wanna follow a source that wasn't 100%. If my source (or anyone elses) is 100% or damn there close, I'd post it, and I would follow any other poster's recent rep. on it as well. I gotta say thanks for putting this, and I'm gonna call him right now. Jas, you also live in Cali. You hear anything about this?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
If you are talking about WSI, that poster was right on with the Heidenreich signing.

Welcome to ST DS!! :cheers And that's very good news, and looks like I owe my cousin mad props (who already doesn't need his ego inflated).. Mother f***er.. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce