Quentin as a temporary 2 hitter?

Princess Dye

A couple reasons. We still dont have someone with bat control doing everything necessary at that slot. Quentin, when here, was not reproducing last year. But he would be able to take walks and move the runner over. I know that's underusing him, but realistically we dont know where he's going to be at upon his return. And we wont have that long with him. When he left he was looking like an A's era Nick Swisher.

Meanwhile it preserves what our current 3-4-5 is doing. You dont want to push Paulie lower in the order the way he's going.

And of course CQ gives us some speed near the top (if not a ton). While still fulfilling all this other stuff better than Alexei and AJ.

I know it sounds silly, but truth is Alexei should be batting lower in the order, and this would allow it to happen. It would work with a very small CQ season.

OK now kill me. Or at least comment on new av.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
no he's not.

And maybe you should check out Alexei's stats in the 2-hole.

To happen to do well while in the 2-hole vs. doing the 2-hole things well are two different things. We all know Alexei's skills set and it's tailor made for being lower in the order.

He is taking more pitches, yes. But the ways in which he's producing now are still things that he could do effectively from lower in the order.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
To happen to do well while in the 2-hole vs. doing the 2-hole things well are two different things. We all know Alexei's skills set and it's tailor made for being lower in the order.

He is taking more pitches, yes. But the ways in which he's producing now are still things that he could do effectively from lower in the order.

Ventura, I believe batted number 2 for the sox, wITH tcq hitting the way he did las year we all saw how his short quick swing not only produced home runs but solid singles and doubles when we needed them. Bunting!! AJ? who on this sox team can bunt?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 03:09 AM)
We all know Alexei's skills set and it's tailor made for being lower in the order.

Seeing fastballs is his skill-set and that's going to happen a lot to him when our lead-off man is currently hitting .311 with a .360 OBP. Alexei is hitting .287 with a .350 OBP in the 2 hole. If it ain't broke...

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
A couple reasons. We still dont have someone with bat control doing everything necessary at that slot. Quentin, when here, was not reproducing last year. But he would be able to take walks and move the runner over. I know that's underusing him, but realistically we dont know where he's going to be at upon his return. And we wont have that long with him. When he left he was looking like an A's era Nick Swisher.

all right then

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)

Uh, ok, so he is doing well, but not doing well? Your subjective observations can be tempered by actually looking at his production in the 2-spot. Walking, hitting and overall getting on base is exactly what he is doing which is very valuable in front of our boppers. There is no better option.

My point is twofold. Quentin has better bat control than Alexei and has the skills to get runners over better than AR.

Yet for situations where you dont need that, he's still a little better than Alexei.

So why not get him a lot of at-bats? The unique part of the situation... is that CQ is not out of this world this year. He's probably destined to come back and not be an elite run producer, at least for the remainder of his season. Could be right or wrong on that, but such are the decisions that Ozzie will have to make.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 06:51 AM)
Uh, ok, so he is doing well, but not doing well? Your subjective observations can be tempered by actually looking at his production in the 2-spot. Walking, hitting and overall getting on base is exactly what he is doing which is very valuable in front of our boppers. There is no better option.

I dont know if it's subjective to say CQ has better bat control than Alexei. We have plenty of evidence that Alexei is a free swinger.

I just think AR is perfect for lower in the order. He'll see more fastballs, instead of depending on Pods being on base to get him fastballs. Based on Pods' OBP, that argument indicates Alexei will get a fastball heavy at-bat only when Pods or the 8 or 9 hitters happen to be on base. I say get him up there following the bashers.

Edited by Princess Dye

I hit him in the #2 spot a lot on the video game "MLB 09 The Show." Then again, I pretty much never bunt or hit behind runners, and that's not too practical. The best #2 hitter for this lineup just got called up from Charlotte in Beckham, he's just not ready to do those duties yet. But he will be in due time.

IMO, you really want a left handed bat in the 2-hole. Make him pull balls and move the runner. Thus, I think we should put A.J. there again. Because it's hard to watch Alexei attempting to hit it to the right side and fail.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
I hit him in the #2 spot a lot on the video game "MLB 09 The Show." Then again, I pretty much never bunt or hit behind runners, and that's not too practical. The best #2 hitter for this lineup just got called up from Charlotte in Beckham, he's just not ready to do those duties yet. But he will be in due time.

Beckham likes to go the other way, which would be great for a 2-hitter.

He's only that close to becoming the next Derek Jeter. :lolhitting

Edited by chw42

I am wondering about Q's durability at this point. We lost him down the stretch last year (admittedly, nothing he could do about getting hit). And his short time in Arizona he was always battling some ailment. And here we are again watching him sit on the DL.

I am NOT saying anything negative about CQ, because he is a tremendous young player and I was SO HAPPY when KW acquired him, but part of me thinks the guy is snake bitten and his value is more pronounced when we are running out people like Wise to play the OF.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
Ventura, I believe batted number 2 for the sox, wITH tcq hitting the way he did las year we all saw how his short quick swing not only produced home runs but solid singles and doubles when we needed them. Bunting!! AJ? who on this sox team can bunt?

Ventura batting 2nd worked because of the monstrous thing wearing #35 hitting behind him. Mauer hitting 2nd works because he has the 2006 AL MVP hitting behind him. In both cases you have a guy who can generate RBI's hitting 2nd, but that's ok because he's also a very good hitter and your best power guy is hitting next. Quentin is our best power and RBI guy when healthy based on last year. He will drive in more runs batting 3rd than 2nd, and this offense will generate more runs with him batting 3rd than 2nd.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
I dont know if it's subjective to say CQ has better bat control than Alexei. We have plenty of evidence that Alexei is a free swinger.

I just think AR is perfect for lower in the order. He'll see more fastballs, instead of depending on Pods being on base to get him fastballs. Based on Pods' OBP, that argument indicates Alexei will get a fastball heavy at-bat only when Pods or the 8 or 9 hitters happen to be on base. I say get him up there following the bashers.

Sounds like you're referring to plate discipline. When I think "bat control" I think contact ability. There is no question that CQ has better plate discipline than Alexei, but there is also no question that Alexei has pretty good bat control, too.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Sounds like you're referring to plate discipline. When I think "bat control" I think contact ability. There is no question that CQ has better plate discipline than Alexei, but there is also no question that Alexei has pretty good bat control, too.

Alexei's plate discipline has improved markedly this year. He just hasn't been hitting the ball with the same authority this year.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)

But doesnt Alexei take a lot of big wallop swings?

Just to consider an extreme transition: if AR wanted to become a slap hitter, I dont know if he'd be able. Other guys could make that transition easier. I could be wrong.

He's a slender guy that tries to generate power with the type of swing he's taking. That's AR.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
But doesnt Alexei take a lot of big wallop swings?

Just to consider an extreme transition: if AR wanted to become a slap hitter, I dont know if he'd be able. Other guys could make that transition easier. I could be wrong.

He's a slender guy that tries to generate power with the type of swing he's taking. That's AR.

All I want from Alexei is him doing exactly what he was doing last year...spraying the ball with authority to all fields and keeping his strikeout numbers low. He does that and he's an excellent #2 hitter. I don't want him bunting; it takes the bat out of the hands of whoever's hitting 3rd. I don't want him focusing on hitting the ball the other way or anything crazy like that. Just hit the damn ball all the time like he did last year, and take a few more pitches/walk a few more times.

Are you guys seriously trying to tell me that Quentin has better bat control than Alexei Ramirez? Ramirez has some of the fastest hands in the bigs and while he might not recognize breaking balls all that well or have a phenomenal eye for the strike-zone he does have an uncanny ability to hit the ball to all fields and to make contact on really difficult pitches. I'd argue that Alexei has the better bat control.