Teaching Certificate

SnB

So after being out in the real world for a year......I'm considering going back to school. I'm really leaning toward getting a Masters of Education - Elementary Certificate. Anyone a teacher and can recommend me a program? I figure UIC is the cheapest.

My girlfriend is just starting the program at Aurora University. Its cost was comparable to UIC, IIRC. UIC's programs focus heavily on urban education. I know Aurora has a masters in education program for someone looking to teach elementary school or a teacher certification for someone looking to teach high school (no masters but less classes).

QUOTE (SnB @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
So after being out in the real world for a year......I'm considering going back to school. I'm really leaning toward getting a Masters of Education - Elementary Certificate. Anyone a teacher and can recommend me a program? I figure UIC is the cheapest.

I am not a teacher, but many of my friends are. It is actually a bad idea to get you masters before you have a teaching job. If it comes down to it, and it is you and a teacher without a masters for your first job, they will take the teacher without the masters every time. Schools dont want to pay extra for the teacher with the masters, when both teachers have the same experience in the classroom. Your best bet would be to get a job, and then have the school pay for your classes.

(disregard this if you already are a teacher)

QUOTE (Pale Hose Jon @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
I am not a teacher, but many of my friends are. It is actually a bad idea to get you masters before you have a teaching job. If it comes down to it, and it is you and a teacher without a masters for your first job, they will take the teacher without the masters every time. Schools dont want to pay extra for the teacher with the masters, when both teachers have the same experience in the classroom. Your best bet would be to get a job, and then have the school pay for your classes.

interesting, what are the alternative besides getting a masters? Just getting another bachelor's? or is their programs that are solely just for the certificate?

What he said.

Sometimes, but not always true. My older brother is in the same situation, in that he has his bachelors and is debating about whether or not to go back to get his master in education or get his undergrad certificate. My father is an elementary school principal and has actually recommended getting the masters. He admits that schools will avoid taking on someone with a masters to avoid paying more, but they also consider that a valuable tool too sometimes.

My sister is finishing up her M.Ed at Aurora, and it has been awful. Apparently they're really disorganized and it was just a very negative experience for her. So, um, don't do theirs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
I have a lot of friends just entering and from what I hear it is horrible to find a job. Literally you can't find anything. But thats in California.

Depends on the field. Special Ed/Spanish will get you hired in a f***ing microsecond.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
so quick question.

Are there programs that just give the certificate? I was under the impression you either have to get another bachelors or get a masters.

Not at Iowa State. I'm graduating with a BS in History, with a separate teaching certification/coaching certification. For the teaching certification, I had to take certain Curriculum and Instruction courses, as well as some specified history courses as part of my history degree program.

• 2 weeks later...
so quick question.

Are there programs that just give the certificate? I was under the impression you either have to get another bachelors or get a masters.

Here in Texas there are Alternative Certification Programs. Basically a B.A. or B.S. will qualify you. From there you take their classes and pass the state tests. Check the No Child Left behind Act, basically 24 hours total in a subject, with 12 hours advanced will designate you as highly qualified.

http://www.teach-now.org/

May be what you are looking for.

Bi-lingual math and science is in high demand, followed by math and science. If you want to coach, things get really interesting. Many coaching jobs are linked with specific teaching assignments. For example, the assistant volleyball coach that is leaving taught history, so the replacement will probably have to teach history as well.

so quick question.

There are programs out there specifically for people who already have a degree and want to get the teachers cert. My wife went through a program at Purdue Calument in Indiana. I don't know what Illinois schools have a similar program. Be sure to ask for a program for your specific situation when asking.

so quick question.

Sorry I wasn't clear up thread. Aurora has this program for high school or junior high certification.