Artie Lange vs. Joe Buck's on JB's Live HBO show

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
I didn't hear Artie on Howard today(I don't listen) but on Waddle and Silvy today, someone called and said Artie talked about this for an hour on todays show, how the producers told him pre show that if it got boring, spice things up, thats what he was there for. Buck supposedly came in as well, and passed along the same message.

WAIT JUST ONE GOSH-DARN MINUTE!!!

Are you trying to insinuate that this could have been.......a STAGED CONTROVERSY?????

BITE YOUR TYPING FINGERS!!!!!

FWIW, I think they could have told him to behave because the entire audience was going to be 4-to-8-year-olds and he would have said the exact same things.

Edited by The Critic

Howard has lost the will/work ethic to do great radio. Still, I love to listen to him and I think Artie was the only entertaining thing on Joe Buck's show.

It was a great move for Artie and Buck because they both are going to get a ton of press out of it. Artie can get repetitive but I think for the most part he was pretty funny on the show.

Oh come on. You guys bought this? Super controversy on his first episode ever? Of course they staged this s*** to try to hook some suckers in. They knew exactly what they were getting when they booked Artie Lange.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
The show was dumb and ARtie's fire-bombing spiced it up.

The Show was absolutely horrible until Artie's segment. The show was poorly produced, and there was absolutley no planning done beforehand. Artie's brand of humor may not be for everyone, however, I thought it was mostly funny and never really CROSSED the line.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Lang admitted it was a PR thing that HBO asked him to do if the show sucked before it was even a news story.

I bet Lang gets an HBO special now becuase of it.

Artie has not admitted that it was a PR thing, or that it was staged. He admitted that the producers told him to spice it up if things got boring. Artie probably took those instructions too far.

The producers of HBO Sports told him today that he was no longer welcomed on any HBO Sports program.

Artie is not the greatest standup around, but he is great in interviews and on Stern.

Joe Buck is a tool...and ARtie said today that Joe Buck told him to 'Let me have it'...so I think Artie was under the impression that his comedy stylings would be fine in the given environment, on HBO.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Carolla's new podcast is with Lange. Haven't listened yet but definitely will sometime.

thanks for the heads up... im going to listen to it now.

Howard needs to fire BTLS and hire Adam to his channels.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
thanks for the heads up... im going to listen to it now.

Howard needs to fire BTLS and hire Adam to his channels.

Adam turned the Jackie chair down before it was given to Artie, they've actually discussed it in the last few months. Adam didn't want to move to NY or have an off schedule, and also he got paid a truckload of money to do the morning show in LA.

I like your idea about Adam on the channels though, I was thinking if Howard retires after 2010 (and as a HUGE fan for years, I think it's probably time) that Adam would be a good fit on satellite.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
I was thinking if Howard retires after 2010 (and as a HUGE fan for years, I think it's probably time)

It really really really pains me to say that I agree 100%. Howard just doesn't care enough anymore to make the show great, he had an amazing opportunity to really change the medium when he got TWO channels on SIRI/XM and he just didn't have enough gas left in the tank to follow through.

I blame Beth Ono.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
It really really really pains me to say that I agree 100%. Howard just doesn't care enough anymore to make the show great, he had an amazing opportunity to really change the medium when he got TWO channels on SIRI/XM and he just didn't have enough gas left in the tank to follow through.

I blame Beth Ono.

yeah, I'm not thrilled that that is my opinion either, but unless it changes in the next few months that's how I feel.

The Beth thing definitely is the highlight of how the show has changed for the worse. It was unlistenable a few weeks ago when she was in the stuido but they were pretending she wasn't there, but referencing her every 5 seconds, I turned it off, which is rare for me.

Also stuff like the Rosie O'Donell stuff. Look, people change, I don't have a problem with that, my problem is he asked his audience for years to rally against her and all the stuff she does, then he just has her on and is shocked that his listeners were pissed. He should have come on before and explained how his opinion changed of her. Also, she's a 9/11 conspiracy person, the old Howard would have had a debunker on the phone or in the studio with her once he found that out.

Again, he has had an amazing and underated career. It's not written nearly enough how millions of listerns vanished from traditional radio and how CBS lost a ridiculous amount of revenue when he went away. IMO he helped influence the whole generation of "dirty" comedies at the movies. He still has great moments, like Gilbert in the studio a few weeks ago, but over the last 6 months, it's taken an unfortunate turn

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
IMO he helped influence the whole generation of "dirty" comedies at the movies. He still has great moments, like Gilbert in the studio a few weeks ago, but over the last 6 months, it's taken an unfortunate turn

Howard has help raise a generation of young American males IMO. He taught me that it was OK to laugh about certain things that may have once been though as taboo, and as long as you were saying things for the sake of comedy it was probably OK.

I will forever consider Howard Stern as one of the people who helped shape my personality and sense of humor... it will be a tough pill to swallow once he hangs it up.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

I blame Beth Ono.

I kind of agree...but it still blows away anything else on radio. I've been listening to the Score more lately, due to baseball, and the commercials are non-f***ing-stop. There is hardly any programming.