Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

But so are the Spurs apparently;

The Spurs are reportedly prepared to offer Glen Davis their mid-level exception, which the Celtics are not expected to match.

Rasheed Wallace's decision to sign with Boston could determine Big Baby's fate -- the Celtics no longer have a pressing need for him, while the Spurs are left with just a handful of affordable PFs to choose from (Marcus Haislip doesn't count). For what it's worth, Celtics GM Danny Ainge said he wants to re-sign Davis as soon as possible.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
If the Magic sign a PF, Lewis move to the 3 spot, and you've got Pietrus and Redick playing off the bench.

People will say that Carter + a FA like Bass is

1 - If the Magic had signed Hedo to that 5/56 deal, there's no way they could have afforded to keep Gortat when he's getting the full MLE. Would have been one or the other.

2 - The Magic HAD to deal Alston. I've got no doubt he would have complained about his role as a backup if he was kept.

Right now I think the Magic could actually go after Glen Davis and try to make the Celtics weaker after they signed Sheed. His mid range game wouldn't look bad at the PF spot next to Dwight.

So basically, right now you're telling me that the Magic don't really have anything solid to fill their frontcourt hole created by Turkoglu's departure. That's a risky place for them to be, although grabbing either a SF or PF would work.

Do they have anything left that counts as an expiring deal they could trade for a PF/SF if they can't find one that will sign for the MLE? (I bet the Kings would jump at moving Nocioni's contract if you could offer them something. He could be a really good fit there given his typical ability on defense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 02:17 AM)
Neither. Oh and Hinrich is so much better than Blake.

I dispute that.

Albeit, Blake was a starter, here were the numbers from last season;

Blake - 11.0PPG, 5A, 1.6TO

Hinrich - 9.9PPG, 3.9A, 1.7TO.

I think Bulls fans think he's still the player of 2 seasons ago when he hit 16.6PPG, shot a decent percentage etc.

He'd dropped off quite a bit since then although he's had a few injuries.

Is he a $5M better player than Steve Blake though? No I don't think so, and hence why Portland is going after David Lee and Andre Miller instead of trading Blake for Hinrich (which was rumored a few weeks back).

Did you see what Hinrich did for the Bulls last year. He's a premium defender, a good shooter in a spot-up roll and as a starter is very good. Hinrich was hurt last year and coming off the bench because the Bulls had the #1 pick and in the playoffs Hinrich played a ton of key minutes.

And you are comparing one seasons worth of stats. Career stats would differ, big time, and take a poll around the league and everyone will be telling you Hinrich is better. There is a reason he was invited to the USA Basketball Trials for the Olympics a couple years back and was one of the final cuts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
So basically, right now you're telling me that the Magic don't really have anything solid to fill their frontcourt hole created by Turkoglu's departure. That's a risky place for them to be, although grabbing either a SF or PF would work.

Do they have anything left that counts as an expiring deal they could trade for a PF/SF if they can't find one that will sign for the MLE? (I bet the Kings would jump at moving Nocioni's contract if you could offer them something. He could be a really good fit there given his typical ability on defense.

Right now I think we'll end up with either Davis or Bass, probably the latter, although the Hornets are after Bass also.

Although Otis Smith has said he's gonna go into the tax and split the MLE over a couple of players.

But don't forget Ryan Anderson, who's a PF who can stretch the floor with his shooting ability. SVG likes him a lot apparently, and he was 1 pick before Courtney Lee in the draft last year.

The Magic just basically need a C and a PF. Pietrus can backup at the 3 (and also play the 2), while Redick can be the backup 2.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
I dispute that.

Albeit, Blake was a starter, here were the numbers from last season;

Blake - 11.0PPG, 5A, 1.6TO

Hinrich - 9.9PPG, 3.9A, 1.7TO.

I think Bulls fans think he's still the player of 2 seasons ago when he hit 16.6PPG, shot a decent percentage etc.

He'd dropped off quite a bit since then although he's had a few injuries.

Is he a $5M better player than Steve Blake though? No I don't think so, and hence why Portland is going after David Lee and Andre Miller instead of trading Blake for Hinrich (which was rumored a few weeks back).

Hinrich's real bad season was 2007-2008, and 2008-2009 he had 1 major injury that sidelined him for about 2 months. Part of the reason his scoring and so on were down last year was that the Bulls drafted another pretty good PG who took away 1/3 of the minutes Hinrich was getting. Hinrich played 5 minutes less per game than Blake as well.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
Right now I think we'll end up with either Davis or Bass, probably the latter, although the Hornets are after Bass also.

Although Otis Smith has said he's gonna go into the tax and split the MLE over a couple of players.

But don't forget Ryan Anderson, who's a PF who can stretch the floor with his shooting ability. SVG likes him a lot apparently, and he was 1 pick before Courtney Lee in the draft last year.

The Magic just basically need a C and a PF. Pietrus can backup at the 3 (and also play the 2), while Redick can be the backup 2.

Eh, right now you're not successfully selling me very hard on the Carter for Turkoglu swap being one that improves the magic a lot. Getting a healthy Nelson back next to Carter will strengthen the backcourt, but your arguments aren't convincing me that their front court hasn't weakened significantly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 02:25 AM)
Did you see what Hinrich did for the Bulls last year. He's a premium defender, a good shooter in a spot-up roll and as a starter is very good. Hinrich was hurt last year and coming off the bench because the Bulls had the #1 pick and in the playoffs Hinrich played a ton of key minutes.

And you are comparing one seasons worth of stats. Career stats would differ, big time, and take a poll around the league and everyone will be telling you Hinrich is better. There is a reason he was invited to the USA Basketball Trials for the Olympics a couple years back and was one of the final cuts.

I'm not saying he isn't better than Blake. I'm saying I don't think he's worth 5M more than Blake (and the original deal that was mooted was Ouutlaw + Blake for Hinrich which I thought was overpaying). I think you're selling Blake a little short also (and he's improved a lot every season).

I don't see Hinrich ever getting back to that level of 2 seasons ago with the Bulls (when his stats were good). He needs to be dealt somewhere where he's going to start.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 02:30 AM)
Eh, right now you're not successfully selling me very hard on the Carter for Turkoglu swap being one that improves the magic a lot. Getting a healthy Nelson back next to Carter will strengthen the backcourt, but your arguments aren't convincing me that their front court hasn't weakened significantly.

Basically I think the bench has actually gotten stronger (Anderson > Battie), and Carter's obviously an upgrade on Hedo. And they thought Lee was expendable because they already had 2 other SG's in Pietrus and Redick.

They were always going to lose Gortat no matter what they did.

I think we'll look better once we get 2 more big guys in. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

Look for the Chicago Bulls to make a strong push for Carlos Boozer. Reports have indicated the Bulls are interested in trading for the Utah Jazz power forward and there is a lot of truth to it. General Manager Gar Forman has already had discussions with the Jazz about sending Boozer to Chicago and talks could heat up even more in the coming weeks. The Bulls are looking to send Tyrus Thomas and most likely Jerome James to the Jazz for Boozer, the problem is the Jazz are talking to several other teams and may wait to find a better deal. Either way, the Bulls will at least make a strong effort at trying to get Boozer in Chicago.

Boozer is obviously a whole lot better than Tyrus and Jerome James. The key is not preventing ourselves from getting Bosh. A healthy Boozer is a damn good player though, imo.

The Bulls would than probably resign Boozer and than either trade Hinrich or Deng or just have push Salmons elsewhere as that combined with Miller and Tim Thomas expiring contracts would give Chicago enough room to make a run at one of the guards in the 2010 class. Chicago could than of course sign Salmons or Miller using Bird rights but they'd have to be willing to pay luxury tax too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Boozer is obviously a whole lot better than Tyrus and Jerome James. The key is not preventing ourselves from getting Bosh. A healthy Boozer is a damn good player though, imo.

Boozer would be a great fit for this team. I'd love to have him.

Will be interesting to see how much Shawn Marion will receive, he would be interesting for Orlando if his price tag keeps dropping. Antonio McDyess could also end up being another option.

I wouldn't mind the Heat picking up Marion for a year or two at 7-8M per.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)

Where'd you read that? I would be completely ecstatic about trading for Boozer if we were also able to get rid of Deng's contract somehow, allowing us to still be a player next off-season. I don't think re-signing Boozer would be much more than Deng costs, would he?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Where'd you read that? I would be completely ecstatic about trading for Boozer if we were also able to get rid of Deng's contract somehow, allowing us to still be a player next off-season. I don't think re-signing Boozer would be much more than Deng costs, would he?

You should visit Talkbulls.

I doubt they'd do a Boozer for Deng swap right now. It'd be more like Boozer for Tyrus and either James or Miller, something like that. Either way, it would still allow the Bulls to be a full player next offseason, possibly even for 2 contracts if they used Boozer in a sign and trade or simply resigned Boozer after signing someone else.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)

I doubt they'd do a Boozer for Deng swap right now. It'd be more like Boozer for Tyrus and either James or Miller, something like that. Either way, it would still allow the Bulls to be a full player next offseason, possibly even for 2 contracts if they used Boozer in a sign and trade or simply resigned Boozer after signing someone else.

I would guess the Jazz wouldn't have much interest for Tyrus, he doesn't seem like a Jerry Sloan type player from what people said about him on this board. Could be wrong though.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
I would guess the Jazz wouldn't have much interest for Tyrus, he doesn't seem like a Jerry Sloan type player from what people said about him on this board. Could be wrong though.

The Jazz need someone who can play PF if they lose Boozer, which they're liable to do anyway next season. Both Okur and Boozer are FA's next offseason (along with Korver and Harpring), and if they resign Milsap this offseason they won't have room under the cap to add anyone major. They're facing a very vacant front court if they can't re-up with people or make a deal beforehand, and Utah's traditionally a team that doesn't like to spend a ton (their owner is always one lobbying for limiting the spending of the big money teams. Doesn't look that good for him if he goes in to tax territory himself).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
The Jazz need someone who can play PF if they lose Boozer, which they're liable to do anyway next season. Both Okur and Boozer are FA's next offseason (along with Korver and Harpring), and if they resign Milsap this offseason they won't have room under the cap to add anyone major. They're facing a very vacant front court if they can't re-up with people or make a deal beforehand, and Utah's traditionally a team that doesn't like to spend a ton (their owner is always one lobbying for limiting the spending of the big money teams. Doesn't look that good for him if he goes in to tax territory himself).

Their owner died earlier this year. Granted I think it's his son that is in charge, and he'll probably go the same route as his father. They would be smart to trade Boozer, but there are more offers than just the Bulls so I would guess the Jazz will probably wait and see what happens. The Pistons seem to be offering Rip Hamilton according to a Jazz message board. I think it'd be smart for the Jazz to try to get a player and a first round pick instead of two players that way they can resign Milsap. In regards to Harping, there's a chance he could retire according to an article I read a few days back. If they were to buy out his contract, his salary would then not hurt the Jazz.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Who takes over at SF for the Magic next season? Cover Turkoglu's minutes with someone who's at least average and putting Carter at SG will be a major upgrade.

They are replacing Hedo,Alston and Lee with Carter. Alston needed to go with Nelson coming back, but Hedo and Lee are above average players. Lee will probably be a 15ppg player before seasons end.

I'm not convinced the magic are a better team than they were a few weeks ago. Free agency is not over of course, I'm not sure who they are targeting, but they should look to pick up one more major player to better compete with Cleveland and Boston.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)

I wish Talkbulls and soxtalk were designed like the realgm network. 1 account allows you to post on any team board within the network.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Bosh wants to play in Chicago. I've heard that from some of my GT sources, and there was also a mention of it in ESPN Magazine

No, I know about Bosh. I'm saying that I think you told me that Wade doesn't want any part of playing in Chicago.