Jacoby Ellsbury (so did we)

Colby Rasmus (so did we)

The Royals took Luke Hochevar 1st overall in 2006 instead of:

Evan Longorgia

Clayton Keshaw

Tim Lincecum

Max Scherzer

Joba Chamberlain (so did we)

So, it's the front office there that's the problem.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
The Royals took Alex Gordon in the 2005 draft instead of:

Ryan Zimmerman

Ryan Braun

Andrew McCutchen

Lance Broadway

Chris Volstad

Colby Rasmus (so did we)

Evan Longorgia

Clayton Keshaw

Tim Lincecum

Max Scherzer

Gordon woulda gone top 2-3 no matter who the team was, he was a stud coming out.

And I think he still can become a very solid player with the royals, or perhaps a different team. At the very least, he's a .260/.350/.430 hitter who can knock out 15-25 and drive in probably 80+, and from what I've seen, he's turned himself into a very solid 3B. Granted he some of the players took after him have turned out better, he's still a solid player.

I'd take Alex Gordon in a heartbeat if we could.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
I know that it's KC, but we beat up Zack Greinke tonight pretty well. He usually doesn't give up 4 runs in 6 innings...

The offense is doing enough to win and the pitching is spot on. Now that we got Greinke out of the way, we should expect a sweep.

A few Sox hit him well, Podsednik, Beckham, Pierzyski, Konerko. His defense sure didn't do him any favors...

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
Two more good pitching matchups coming up, nice!

KC's got some decent pitching, but they have no hitting and no fielding, and I question most of the players baseball IQ. Moore better get his s*** together.

I agree 100%.

Ryan Zimmerman

Ryan Braun

Andrew McCutchen

Lance Broadway

Chris Volstad

Colby Rasmus (so did we)

Evan Longorgia

Clayton Keshaw

Tim Lincecum

Max Scherzer

Dayton Moore didn't come to the organization until after the 2006 Draft. He had nothing to do with either player being selected. Gordon was a local kid, lifelong Royals fan, and as poster said below, would have gone top 2-3 no matter who was picking. Hochevar was picked due to signability. With Gordon being drafted the year before, no reason to take Longoria. A lot of scouts were scared off by Lincecum's mechanics. Kershaw and Scherzer also fell due to signability.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Gordon woulda gone top 2-3 no matter who the team was, he was a stud coming out.

And I think he still can become a very solid player with the royals, or perhaps a different team. At the very least, he's a .260/.350/.430 hitter who can knock out 15-25 and drive in probably 80+, and from what I've seen, he's turned himself into a very solid 3B. Granted he some of the players took after him have turned out better, he's still a solid player.

I'd take Alex Gordon in a heartbeat if we could.

Good stuff here.

Now that we got Greinke out of the way, we should expect a sweep.

I don't think you can expect a sweep against anybody on the road.

We are hot and they are not. I hope we can keep it that way. Bannister has been decent of late and Hochevar has been good at times as well.

We need to play.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)

Ryan Zimmerman

Ryan Braun

Andrew McCutchen

Lance Broadway

Chris Volstad

Colby Rasmus (so did we)

Evan Longorgia

Clayton Keshaw

Tim Lincecum

Max Scherzer

Alex Gordon's post 2008 all-star game stats tell me that he can still be a star in this league.

Ryan Zimmerman

Ryan Braun

Andrew McCutchen

Lance Broadway

Chris Volstad

Colby Rasmus (so did we)

Evan Longorgia

Clayton Keshaw

Tim Lincecum

Max Scherzer

The sox passed on pujols 13 times. Buffoons.

Even Danks and Floyd have been lights out you gotta mention Buerhle, well he is just havin another typical great year. If they let him pitch the last 2 start before the ASB (I believe on short rest) and he wins both he could have a shot at finally winning 20 this year. Not sayin it will happen but man that would be awesome.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
This isn't me being an ass to you, so don't take it that way. But I'm getting sick of all the moving Beckham all over the damn infield talk. Leave him right where he is right now.

Why? The talk is valid. Beckham is a more valuable bat at 2B and Fields has been showing his power stroke again. Getz and Nix have been playing better lately, but I think Fields has more upside than either and has shown enough potential previously (his .788 OPS in 400 PA in 2007) to deserve every chance possible to succeed.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 03:17 AM)
Why? The talk is valid. Beckham is a more valuable bat at 2B and Fields has been showing his power stroke again. Getz and Nix have been playing better lately, but I think Fields has more upside than either and has shown enough potential previously (his .788 OPS in 400 PA in 2007) to deserve every chance possible to succeed.

My biggest problem with Fields is that he seems to have that "deer in headlights" look that Joe Borchard had.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
My biggest problem with Fields is that he seems to have that "deer in headlights" look that Joe Borchard had.

My biggest problem is that he doesn't take adversity well. He seems to shrink away and get hurt feelings when he gets challenged.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
Do Luke Hochevar and Brian Bannister scare you?

of course it was easy for me to wait for the results of this game, but to reiterate my initial point with "kiss of death", you hv to be a sox fan for about one season over any of the last 4 yrs to know they hv an eery tendency to lose when the pitching matchup is OVERWHELMINGLY in our favor, and do the opposite when it's not....it's a Chicago White Sox trademark and 3/4s of the people on this board are well aware of it....

as soon as I read the pre-game articles on how unhittable Floyd has been the last month, and the followon pregame posts here saying the same, all I could do was grin having been there too many times before....

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
of course it was easy for me to wait for the results of this game, but to reiterate my initial point with "kiss of death", you hv to be a sox fan for about one season over any of the last 4 yrs to know they hv an eery tendency to lose when the pitching matchup is OVERWHELMINGLY in our favor, and do the opposite when it's not....it's a Chicago White Sox trademark and 3/4s of the people on this board are well aware of it....

as soon as I read the pre-game articles on how unhittable Floyd has been the last month, and the followon pregame posts here saying the same, all I could do was grin having been there too many times before....

Yeah, it's easy to say that now.

But I don't think our hitting against Hochevar was the problem today. Floyd's bad 5th and 6th innings along with Alexei's lackadaisical play had more to do with it.

Now if Hochevar pitched a complete game shutout today, you'd have a much better point.

Brian Bannister has a 8.15 career ERA against us and we beat him up good earlier this year. Now if only Clayton Richard can give us a decent outing tomorrow...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Yeah, it's easy to say that now.

But I don't think our hitting against Hochevar was the problem today. Floyd's bad 5th and 6th innings along with Alexei's lackadaisical play had more to do with it.

Now if Hochevar pitched a complete game shutout today, you'd have a much better point.

Brian Bannister has a 8.15 career ERA against us and we beat him up good earlier this year. Now if only Clayton Richard can give us a decent outing tomorrow...

I hear you but you're kind of proving my point, losing the overwhelmingly favorable pitching matchup just happens, I never said the exact reason(s). Today, fact is Floyd DID have that 5th and 6th compared to his 1.7 ERA the past X starts or whatever the number is. Fact is we scored 4 runs against pitching according to the matchup we should hv lit up. Fact is people relax or whatever the reason, today it was Alexei, but it still happened.

Simply put, the Sox don't as a team, for whatever reason, give that complete effort in these situations, I don't know why but they do....

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jul 4, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
I hear you but you're kind of proving my point, losing the overwhelmingly favorable pitching matchup just happens, I never said the exact reason(s). Today, fact is Floyd DID have that 5th and 6th compared to his 1.7 ERA the past X starts or whatever the number is. Fact is we scored 4 runs against pitching according to the matchup we should hv lit up. Fact is people relax or whatever the reason, today it was Alexei, but it still happened.

Simply put, the Sox don't as a team, for whatever reason, give that complete effort in these situations, I don't know why but they do....

You know, until today, the Sox won 7 in a row including games against pitchers they should have won against as well as some excellent to great pitchers. Moaning about how the Sox "shoud have lit up" the starting pitcher today like it's been a problem lately is kind of silly. Seriously, you can't win them all, and the offense had an overall good effort today, especially considering Castro, Wise, and Anderson were all playing.