Quentin Showing off in Charlotte

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
Quentin hasn't shown any power in AAA. What makes any of us think he'll mash home runs up here...?

Seriously, I'm really doubting that Carlos will do anything major for us.

That's what I fear as well. The last thing we need is a singles-hitting base clogger in the middle of the lineup who is also a liability in the field.

I'd like to see the Sox take a financial risk and trade for Halliday, Rolen and Rios. Rolen adds a solid bat and OBP to the lineup while improving the defense at third base and allows Beckham to move to 2B where he belongs. Rios solves the CF hole this year because even his sub-par performance so far this season is much better than Anderson/Wise and he's probably going to revert back to form at some point in the future giving the Sox a solid outfielder for the next few years.

With the salary coming off the books the next couple of years, the Sox could probably afford to pay these three, and by taking on their contracts should be able to pry them away from the Blue Jays without giving up any of their "untouchables".

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
That's what I fear as well. The last thing we need is a singles-hitting base clogger in the middle of the lineup who is also a liability in the field.

I'd like to see the Sox take a financial risk and trade for Halliday, Rolen and Rios. Rolen adds a solid bat and OBP to the lineup while improving the defense at third base and allows Beckham to move to 2B where he belongs. Rios solves the CF hole this year because even his sub-par performance so far this season is much better than Anderson/Wise and he's probably going to revert back to form at some point in the future giving the Sox a solid outfielder for the next few years.

With the salary coming off the books the next couple of years, the Sox could probably afford to pay these three, and by taking on their contracts should be able to pry them away from the Blue Jays without giving up any of their "untouchables".

Put down the XBox....and if you really think they'd just give up those 3 guys for none of the Sox main guys, that's just silly.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)

As overrated as Rios is, I would love to see him on this team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Put down the XBox....and if you really think they'd just give up those 3 guys for none of the Sox main guys, that's just silly.

I didn't say none of their "main guys", whatever that means. I said none of their "untouchables" meaning Beckham, Floyd, Danks, or Buehrle. Personally, I'd trade ANYONE in the Sox minor league organization other than Jordan Danks (don't want to piss off the Danks family after they got rid of Boras etc.) and Viciedo (hate to mess up the "Cuban connection"). A few of their other top minor league prospects Flowers, Hudson, Carter, etc.) along with a couple of guys from their 25 man roster other than the "untouchables" should be enough. Ricciardi is reportedly anxious to dump salary.

Right. Which is one of the reasons the Jays would lower their asking price for Halliday if a team is willing to take him as well.

so the sox should be financially irresponsible by taking on an overrated player's contract just to try and win a crappy division this year?

We're not the early 2000's Yankees

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
so the sox should be financially irresponsible by taking on an overrated player's contract just to try and win a crappy division this year?

We're not the early 2000's Yankees

Rios is pretty good and the Sox have money coming off the books the next couple of years. And Halliday gives the Sox a real shot at the WS once they win the crappy division.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
I see he's making $6.4 million this year. What's the rest of the deal like...?

God awful. From Rotoworld:

04/04/08: Signed seven-year, $69.835 million contract w/2015 club option and full NTC 2008-09, limited NTC 2011-15. 2009: $5.9 million, 2010: $9.7 million, 2011: $12 million, 2012: $12 million, 2013: $12.5 million, 2014: $12.5 million, 2015: $13.5 million club option w/$1 million buyout, 2016: Free Agent

The only way I'd take him is if the Blue Jays payed at least half of his remaining contract. Plus, from what I have gathered, he is a big time d-bag.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 02:58 AM)
Rios is pretty good and the Sox have money coming off the books the next couple of years. And Halliday gives the Sox a real shot at the WS once they win the crappy division.

And we tie ourselves up with these contracts, how do we extend Danks and Quentin, etc?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
And we tie ourselves up with these contracts, how do we extend Danks and Quentin, etc?

Halliday is only signed through next year. I believe Rolen as well ( could be wrong but I think that's what I heard). So the only contract they're tied to is Rios and if he reverts to form it's not that terrible.

...And Danks and Quentin are under Sox control for a while anyway.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
God awful. From Rotoworld:

The only way I'd take him is if the Blue Jays payed at least half of his remaining contract. Plus, from what I have gathered, he is a big time d-bag.

Is he? I never heard that. He always looked pretty good to me whenever I saw him play in previous years. Even though he's having a bad year this season, looking at his stats he'd still be an improvement for the Sox. If he really is a bad character guy as you say, then I wouldn't want any part of him. But I don't know that to be true.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)
Is he? I never heard that. He always looked pretty good to me whenever I saw him play in previous years. Even though he's having a bad year this season, looking at his stats he'd still be an improvement for the Sox. If he really is a bad character guy as you say, then I wouldn't want any part of him. But I don't know that to be true.

Yes, he's got character issues and rarely hustles.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Yes, he's got character issues and rarely hustles.

Hmmmmm. Then I guess I'll retract my plan.

I'd still like to have Halliday and Rolen, though. Beckham needs to be moved to his future home of 2B ASAP. Rolen's bat and glove would help the Sox and again adding Halliday without giving up Buehrle, Danks or Floyd makes the Sox very dangerous in the playoffs.