7/9 Game Thread Sox vs. Cleveland 1:05pm CDT CSN

knightni

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
I'm not feeling confident that he'll be masterful this afternoon. Hope he proves me wrong.

Let's score a ton early, and allow him to cruise.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Anyone want to guess what Ozzie will do if Richard bombs? Does he keep him in the rotation for another start or 2?

Haven't we already juggled our rotation so that he doesn't pitch again until after the break?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Haven't we already juggled our rotation so that he doesn't pitch again until after the break?

Yeah and I guess he has a built in excuse if he bombs because of the short rest. I'm just curious as to how much patience Ozzie truly has for him.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
Anyone want to guess what Ozzie will do if Richard bombs? Does he keep him in the rotation for another start or 2?

It will be getting very close to "decision time" if Richard has a poor outing. Would Poreda get the first crack at it? DJC?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Yeah and I guess he has a built in excuse if he bombs because of the short rest. I'm just curious as to how much patience Ozzie truly has for him.

We did this with Danks, and Floyd, and Garland... These guys have to take their lumps to learn at the major league level. Danks actually regressed big time during his first year. Its not a big surprise that a guy who just became a full time pitcher in the last few years is taking more than a half a season to get it together. Besides, really even Ozzie has said, he leaves the pitching up to Cooper.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
It will be getting very close to "decision time" if Richard has a poor outing. Would Poreda get the first crack at it? DJC?

Frankly it ought to be Poreda, but with Colon potentially making a minor league start he's also an option here in a few weeks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
We did this with Danks, and Floyd, and Garland... These guys have to take their lumps to learn at the major league level. Danks actually regressed big time during his first year. Its not a big surprise that a guy who just became a full time pitcher in the last few years is taking more than a half a season to get it together. Besides, really even Ozzie has said, he leaves the pitching up to Cooper.

It's also worth noting that with a number of those guys, we actually gave them time to either work out of the pen or sit on the bench later in the season.

I've always felt we don't do a good job of treating Richard like a young pitcher. Even last year, it seemed like he would start a game one day and then throw 3 innings out of the bullpen 3 days later. In some ways, he was our own Terry Mulholland.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
We face another tomorrow against the Twins.

Nope.

Perkins is too sick. Blackburn will make the start. Perkins might make the start on Saturday.\

BTW, David Huff actually came off a good start against Oakland where the Indians scored him 15 runs.

Let's hope we score 15 for Clayton today because he might need it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
He's starting the All Star game?

He's THAT good...

I just meant it as a general statement that he should pitch when CR is supposed to pitch next...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)

He is doing so the better pitchers face the Twins this weekend.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 9, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)

Ozzie does a good job giving eveyone, every opportunity to do well. Richards will get at least 3-4 more starts to prove it one way or the other.

Richard does need to step up today that's a given. He can look good for a few innings and then tanks or just doesn't have it at all. He has a lot of promise though. If he is indeed a member of the future pitching staff he needs to start showing it and that starts TODAY!