3.5 games back

Vote4Pedro

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
I understand we are kind of stuck with him there for the rest of this year, but unless some sort of drastic change occurs, I don't think we can keep Gordon Beckham at 3rd base after 2009. His bat isn't as valuable over there, and his fielding looks awful. I understand he's never played there before this year and is trying to learn at the major league level, but he has very poor reaction times on hard hit balls to him, and I'm not sure if that is something you can teach.

They really need to make a decision on this sooner rather than later. I believe it is a matter of time before he starts to take this into the field. The play in the 9th inning Saturday was really bad.

I like his bat but I think he needs to go to second.

There is a log jam of infielders (Beckham, Ramirez, Nix, Getz and Fields) that should create trade market interest. The Sox need to decide which way to go as none of them are experienced enough to come off the bench on a regular basis.

They really need to make a decision on this sooner rather than later. I believe it is a matter of time before he starts to take this into the field. The play in the 9th inning Saturday was really bad.

I like his bat but I think he needs to go to second.

There is a log jam of infielders (Beckham, Ramirez, Nix, Getz and Fields) that should create trade market interest. The Sox need to decide which way to go as none of them are experienced enough to come off the bench on a regular basis.

If you put Beckham where do you put Getz? He has played well enough to be an everyday player.

Getz is either super-utility or trade bait. I wouldn't mind either.

Thunderbolt I gotta ask but I am pretty sure what you will say. If it came down to including either Alexei or Getz as tradebait who goes in ur opinion? Gut feeling tells me you will say Getz. But I think under the small ball concept he has as much upside as Alexei and will steal more bases for you and sure as heck not make as many mental midget mistakes.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Getz is either super-utility or trade bait. I wouldn't mind either.

The problem with Getz as trade bait is that guys like Getz aren't worth as much in trades as they typically are to the team holding them and getting solid average performances out of them.

The problem with Getz as trade bait is that guys like Getz aren't worth as much in trades as they typically are to the team holding them and getting solid average performances out of them.

Let's say Getz winds up even hitting .300 and has an OBP of around.350-360. That is kind above average I would think.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Let's say Getz winds up even hitting .300 and has an OBP of around.350-360. That is kind above average I would think.

Even then, people aren't going to offer you a front-line starter or 30+ home run guy for a player like that.

Even then, people aren't going to offer you a front-line starter or 30+ home run guy for a player like that.

Oh sorry, I wasn't referring to that Balta, I meant in the Sox's preferred method of playing ball, Getz's value lies in the way he focuses and does not make as many mistakes as Ramirez. I think his importance to the team that way is way undervalued.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Oh sorry, I wasn't referring to that Balta, I meant in the Sox's preferred method of playing ball, Getz's value lies in the way he focuses and does not make as many mistakes as Ramirez. I think his value to the team that way is way undervalued.

That's my point as well. You get a guy like Getz, if he hits like he's hitting in July (.807 OPS over his last 4 weeks) you've got a solid guy who should be starting on your team and will help you win games, but also a guy that no one is giving up a top prospect to trade for.

This goes without saying, but I feel it'll fall on the health/stability of our starting rotation. I believe 88 games will win the division again this year and there are 3 teams capable of pulling that off. The team that can sustain the best pitching in late August and September will win the divisional crown.

I'm confident in our guys.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
The problem with Getz is, he's not versatile. Ramirez, Beckham, Nix, and Fields are.

I'll point out for the second time today, this is not true. Getz played 4 positions in Charlotte last year, he played more SS than 2B when he first got to the minors. He is indeed versatile, but they haven't moved him yet with the big club. In fact he is significantly more versatile than Fields, I'd say.